PDA

View Full Version : How many blank diskettes do you have? (IBM 5150/5160)

luvit
March 5th, 2014, 04:21 PM
I'm starting from scratch since I lost all my things about 10 years ago.
I'm going to order a small selection of blank disks, 360, 720, 1.2, 1.44.
I'll likely use mostly DSDD, but may regret not getting any high density disks while I order.
I also wonder if fifty 360K is an underestimate.. I bet that was about all I had years ago.
I plan on needing 20-some diskettes just to backup the used hard drives in-case there is anything interesting from the previous owner(s). -- before I start making it my own.
So i'll really end up with less than 30 blank 360K diskettes.. just enough?
I'll be running 2 PCs, one is an XT with probably a 10MB hard drive.
--thanks.

lutiana
March 5th, 2014, 05:06 PM
I have about 50 or 60 boxes of 10 360Kb disks, all new-ish and blank, some boxes are still factory sealed, some are not (want to buy some?). And a smaller collection of 1.2Mb disks. I don't think I have any 720Kb disks though.

Mostly I use 1.44Mb disks to transfer data to and from my XT and Compaq Portable; I went to great lengths to get the HD disk drives in them since it makes things so much easier.

Chuck(G)
March 5th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Hundreds of 5.25" blank DSDD, a quantity (unknown) of DSHD. More 720K 3.5' than 1.44M; some 2.88 DSED, about 20 3.25"; a goodly pile of 8" SS and HS floppies. Enough that I shouldn't need to buy another one, at any rate.

Stone
March 5th, 2014, 06:12 PM
I have thousands... See my SIG. :-)

Chuck(G)
March 5th, 2014, 06:21 PM
--and what do you use them for?

Jimmy
March 5th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Thanks Chuck and Stone, I really needed a laugh today.

Stone
March 5th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Mostly I use 1.44Mb disks to transfer data to and from my XT and Compaq Portable; I went to great lengths to get the HD disk drives in them since it makes things so much easier.I use the parallel port and LapLink. It puts all floppy transfers to shame. I got tired of floppy disk swapping over twenty years ago. :-)

An XTIDE works quite nicely, too. Just load the drive up and stick it in the XT.

Chuck(G)
March 5th, 2014, 06:39 PM
I have thousands... See my SIG. :-)

So you can sell me a few boxes of 3.25" floppies? Great!

Stone
March 5th, 2014, 06:48 PM
So you can sell me a few boxes of 3.25" floppies? Great!Stop browsing without your glasses on! You know better. :-)

SpidersWeb
March 5th, 2014, 07:35 PM
3.5" 1.44 around 30 still sealed.
5.25" 360KB around 40 still sealed
5.25" 1.2Mb about 160 still sealed (didn't collect this many on purpose).

With exception to the 1.2's, I tend to be re-uising already opened media out of fear I'll run out of fresh stuff in the future - has to be really important for me to open a box!

MikeS
March 5th, 2014, 07:37 PM
So you can sell me a few boxes of 3.25" floppies? Great!I've still got one somewhere (disk, not box). And how about a box or two of write-protected 5.25 DD & HD without notches? Makes up for those flippy disks with two notches...

Think I might have Stone beat this time... ;-)

Chuck(G)
March 5th, 2014, 07:46 PM
On some of those no-notch DSHD floppies, even after notching them, it was difficult to do a successful write to them. Degaussing fixed that. 8" floppies often got converted to flippies or SD to DD. Can get some drives very confused.

orion24
March 5th, 2014, 08:09 PM
~ 200 1.44 MB
~ 100 1.2 MB
~ 20 360K
~ 10 720K

I still want a batch of high quality disks of all these media, (Stone's stock has my attention for quite some time now) but constant moving and other reasons have prevented my from purchasing any of it yet. I need to rearrange my vintage staff before I get to play with it.

k2x4b524[
March 5th, 2014, 09:04 PM
About
200 360kb disks
75 1.2 mb disks
3500 720kb disks *some had wp tabs some don't, i bought them from the local PC recycler by the box without knowing how many disks were in them*
150 1.44mb disks
10 360kb 3.5" disks *ssdd made by tdk*
1 SSDD 3.5" disk with a round windowed manual open shutter

Krille
March 6th, 2014, 02:17 AM
I plan on needing 20-some diskettes just to backup the used hard drives in-case there is anything interesting from the previous owner(s). -- before I start making it my own.

I wouldn't buy more than I absolutely need for booting the machines. Backups and other data transfers should be done over the network. You were going to get a NIC weren't you? ;)

Stone
March 6th, 2014, 02:57 AM
Think I might have Stone beat this time... ;-)Gee, I thought my end of the wormhole gave access to the same stuff that your end does. :-)

I still want a batch of high quality disks of all these media, (Stone's stock has my attention for quite some time now)...What if I said I was heading to Ellada in the not-to-distant future? Pote the'xeris, issos pame se ligo. :-)

luvit
March 6th, 2014, 06:29 AM
I wouldn't buy more than I absolutely need for booting the machines. Backups and other data transfers should be done over the network. You were going to get a NIC weren't you? ;)
Yes. I will be using the network as my primary medium. I also plan to not load packet drivers all the time with my limited 640K memory.
I may have low expectations of how often I actually can keep the packet drivers in boot-up.
I will have batch files to turn certain TSR's on/off, I feel I'll be playing around for a long time before I over-commit my expectations to one standard.
So, yeah. I still feel the 50 count would be a good fit for me.

lutiana
March 6th, 2014, 06:44 AM
1 SSDD 3.5" disk with a round windowed manual open shutter

What's that?

MikeS
March 6th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Yes. I will be using the network as my primary medium.
... I feel I'll be playing around for a long time before I over-commit my expectations to one standard. So, yeah. I still feel the 50 count would be a good fit for me.You're definitely going against the trend... ;-) Most of the rest of us are taking the data off diskettes and transferring to more modern media (USB sticks, CD/DVD, hard disk, etc.) that can conveniently be backed up on our modern systems. Backing up to diskettes is not only time-consuming and labour-intensive but also not very dependable, and backing up the backup is as time-consuming as the original backup was...

luvit
March 6th, 2014, 09:19 AM
If NIC/PC performance is an issue, i'll be a disk-jockey of some medium. lol

Mad-Mike
March 6th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Oddly enough, somewhere, I have a still shrinkwrapped SSDD 160K Set of Floppies for the early IBM PC kicking around. Never been used, box is in rough shape though.

AS for the original post, 360K DSDD, Not too terribly many, unless, somehow, my stash of 300-500 in all sorts of neato colors in Opelika have managed to survive the Shed rebuild that happened after I moved out of mom's house almost 10 years ago.....then I will have them back someday. I seemed to use Orange and Blue the most of the time.

I also have about 12-15 DSDD 1.2M 5.25" kicking around, I almost never use those though, but I might have some upcoming software loads that will REQUIRE them as the images came off those disks.

I think I have around 200-250 3.5" 1.44MB blank free

I don't really use floppies anymore though, all of my computers have the ability to have software "Pushed" to them from the network. The Tandy 1000 and the XT boards (When they are built out) have only the O/S installed from floppies, the rest is installed over the network using shares of NetBEUI or IPX/SPX off the 486 or one of my VMs running Windows XP or older.

krebizfan
March 6th, 2014, 11:50 AM
I have a few hundred 3.5" HD, a set of bulk 5.25" DSDD that I will probably never use since I haven't bothered picking up a 360kB drive, a modest number of 5.25" HD and a lack of unused 3.5" DD. I realize now that I should have picked up more disks and drives during the clearance sales since I find the costs keeping me from picking up some early vintage hardware.

geoffm3
March 6th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Sounds like I need to check in with some members... I have need for some (good) disks. I've got a bunch of garbage floppies for "blanks" and I don't want to overwrite my good ones.

barythrin
March 6th, 2014, 12:25 PM
I just pick up a pack once and a while when they're <$3. Once and a while Goodwill will have some for a realistic price. Other times (like their shopgoodwill site) they think a 10 pack of 5.25 or 3.5 are worth $6.

Unknown_K
March 6th, 2014, 01:07 PM
450ish green new bulk 360K 5.25", 300ish blue DD 3.5" bulk new, 100's of new Imation 3.5" HD in retail boxes of 10.

The DD 3.5" disks are mostly for the IIgs, Amiga, ST. The 360K ones are for XT, Atari and C64 era machine. HD are for PC /Mac.

I don't reuse old disks since they tend to have bad sectors anyway.

k2x4b524[
March 6th, 2014, 01:58 PM
What's that?

Its one of the the first 3.5" disks. The very first ones didn't have the auto shutter. You had to manually open it then put it in the drives. The SSDD means single sided double density. Early macs with the 400kb drives used them, they format to 720kb pretty good though.

bettablue
March 6th, 2014, 03:46 PM
I'm starting from scratch since I lost all my things about 10 years ago.
I'm going to order a small selection of blank disks, 360, 720, 1.2, 1.44.
I'll likely use mostly DSDD, but may regret not getting any high density disks while I order.
I also wonder if fifty 360K is an underestimate.. I bet that was about all I had years ago.
So i'll really end up with less than 30 blank 360K diskettes.. just enough?
I'll be running 2 PCs, one is an XT with probably a 10MB hard drive.
--thanks.

I started out with 2 boxes of 5.25" DDSD diskettes, but as time went on, I have built up a pretty decent software collection; not only for my PC gear, but for my Apple IIe, and Commodore 64's as well. Now, I try to keep 20 to 30 on hand at any given time. Some I bought from stone, but most I got through E-Bay. Sometimes you get lucky and someone will post several boxes not knowing what they have, and end up selling them a lot cheaper than they should. My last purchase of 30 diskettes only cost me $10.00. They were all NOS, and still in shrink wrapped boxes. But those deals are few and far between.

luvit
March 6th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Stone, can you sell under a business name? My employer will buy some, too!

Stone
March 6th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Is a PayPal business invoice sufficient?

orion24
March 7th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Gee, I thought my end of the wormhole gave access to the same stuff that your end does. :-)

What if I said I was heading to Ellada in the not-to-distant future? Pote the'xeris, issos pame se ligo. :-)

:D That's a good one. Let me know if you decide to do so ...

luvit
March 7th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Is a PayPal business invoice sufficient?
No, I'm afraid not. I'm going to ask someone else in the chain of command, just in case.

Stone
March 7th, 2014, 12:03 PM
It's got my business name on it.

luvit
March 22nd, 2014, 07:11 AM
ok, to start, i received
50 - 360K new (they sent bright yellow)
50 - 720K used/verified/overlabeled (various blue/beige/black)
50 - 1.2M new (black)
100 - 1.44M new (black)
I really wanted to get nice used disks from the period, but i shopped by price.

lutiana
March 23rd, 2014, 02:37 AM
I just went through my stuff. I have 250 or so sealled 360K disks, another 100 or so unsealed/used. About 25 1.2Mb disk, and around 50 1.44Mb disks. And only 1 720Kb disk, yes just a single 720Kb disk!

Stone
March 23rd, 2014, 02:59 AM
I just went through my stuff....And only 1 720Kb disk, yes just a single 720Kb disk!See my SIG. :-)