PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5153 Damaged by UPS

Jimmy
March 5th, 2014, 05:07 PM
I guess God intended me to spend my days in Monochrome rather than color and has selected UPS as the angel to show me his wrath.

This is my second one damaged by UPS in shipping.

17642 17643

Chuck(G)
March 5th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Too bad, but certainly not the first we've seen. Does it even power up? It might be possible to repair the case damage if you all the pieces.

Jimmy
March 5th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Chuck it cracked the tube where the glass ears attached it to the case. What is so bad is I emailed the seller that this may happened and to take extra cared packing it.

Stone
March 5th, 2014, 06:17 PM
How about a multisync? One monitor for *all* of your computers. :-) I've shipped quite a few and all have arrived intact.

Jimmy
March 5th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Stone thanks for the offer but I just purchsed one, have not picked it up yet.

Chuck(G)
March 5th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Chuck it cracked the tube where the glass ears attached it to the case. What is so bad is I emailed the seller that this may happened and to take extra cared packing it.

Bummer. Sorry about that.

Jimmy
March 5th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Yea me too, not so much about the money, but another vintage machine is lost from careless shipping and handling.

cr1901
March 5th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Been there, done that... twice! First one was a power supply/high voltage problem (at least I think- there was no raster so that means no high voltage)... I STUPIDLY (in hindsight) threw away the whole monitor- the tube was most likely fine.

The videos below show the second one. Got about half my money back in exchange for keeping it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRQDQjgY_zA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auo-UPbhq8I

I kept this one, hoping to purchase the correct CRT alone, or a broken 5153 with an intact tube at some point.

I'm under the impression now that IBM's monitors are- and were- garbage from a structural standpoint, not designed to withstand any form of abuse.

mikey99
March 6th, 2014, 06:25 AM
I think the IBM monitor quality was comparable or even above other monitors of that timeframe.
Consider the plastic case is over 30 years old, so the plastic may be somewhat more brittle now.

And.... they were designed to be shipped in a large box with good support.
Using the original box and packing material I think that monitor could be shipped anywhere
and resist lots of abuse.

Shadow Lord
March 6th, 2014, 07:08 AM
I think the IBM monitor quality was comparable or even above other monitors of that timeframe.
Consider the plastic case is over 30 years old, so the plastic may be somewhat more brittle now.

And.... they were designed to be shipped in a large box with good support.
Using the original box and packing material I think that monitor could be shipped anywhere
and resist lots of abuse.

Agreed. I have had two IBM monitors arrive damaged out of 10 or so. One was shipped USPS and one FedEx. In both cases they were roughly handled in shipping which would have been fine except for the fact that in neither case were the monitors packed anywhere close to properly. Both of them were essential free floating in a large box. You got to remember most shipping company procedures specify that the packing used must be able to withstand a three feet free fall (i.e. off of a conveyer belt). Most sellers don't pack for this requirement because it would actually cost money and time. I am actually surprised as to how many of the monitors do arrive safely.

PhilipA
March 6th, 2014, 02:54 PM
In a similar vein, I had someone ship an HP Laserjet 4+ to me.
It arrived, and the extent of their packaging was to tape plastic sheet around it and stick my address on.

Needless to say it arrived broken, and the seller was absolutely bemused that I chewed them out for shipping electronics in the mail in that fashion.
Some people really don't understand the method of delivery- stuff isn't handled carefully.. that would be tot inefficient.

--Phil

barythrin
March 6th, 2014, 03:15 PM
I was pissed myself and it really sucked. I had a nice 5153 that was fine but it bumped another monitor and chipped the top corner. Can't believe how fragile the stupid things are. I hadn't been concerned with shipping one until that happened. At least most computers seem to be ok as long as they end up with some sort of packing material.

bettablue
March 6th, 2014, 03:33 PM
That's the 2nd monitor that you have had come to you in pieces! Man, and I was going to ask about somehow getting one of your monochrome monitors. I honestly find that disturbing. I know you've been asked this before, but how well was the monitor packaged? I'm just curious, because yours aren't the first that I have had the unfortunate case of total destruction! In my opinion, UPS Drivers can by way to rough on packages, and its not only the drivers. UPS's sorting machinery is pretty rough too.

Man, I am totally sorry to have worked at UPS for so long, and still hear of badly damaged monitors. It really does make me sick.

I guess God intended me to spend my days in Monochrome rather than color and has selected UPS as the angel to show me his wrath.

This is my second one damaged by UPS in shipping.

17642 17643

Jimmy
March 6th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Thomas:

It was packaged pretty well. It was stuffed with styrofoam, would give adequate protection against puncture but not from dropping.

I did email the shipper, when I purchased it and asked him to take extra care packing it. It needed to be double boxed with soft form rubber as packing and between the boxes.

Stone
March 6th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Double boxed won't help at all if the inner box isn't packed right. :-) And, if the inner box *is* packed correctly you don't need an outer box.

Jimmy
March 6th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Actually two boxes with absorption material in between helps a great deal in impact, especially in multiple impacts. "Like UPS dropping it everytime it is handled". The energy absorphion capabilities on continuous joined crashboxes is the basis of safety design in modern automobiles.

k2x4b524[
March 7th, 2014, 12:21 AM
I have only had one shipping snafu, and that from letting the ups store pack the box for me. Betta, i still feel bad about that one. All the times i pack and shipped myself, i either use couch cushions, or a lot of pillow fluff from old discarded pillows. Think about it, a couch cushion has to withstand people's asses getting on and off of them for many years, the foam is thick and resilient. Old pillows it's the same way. But for both, the key is packing around the item so that it doesn't move inside the box, and the materials are bound to absorb plenty of the 3ft drop. But regardless, it is the SHIPPER who is responsible for ensuring the item is packed properly, and damage in transit can often be attributed to poor packing, and ebay, pay pal, even amazon, have provisions for such. And trust me, if you have something that goes air freight, your package has been thrown, kicked, dropped off the carrier in transit to the airplane at least once, probably opened by customs at some point, i've even see people use smaller packages as sporting equipment in the air cargo warehouse. Basically abused to hell....

Jimmy
March 7th, 2014, 05:23 AM
K2 you are right it is all about de-acceleration and energy transfer. The foam cushion in this case de-accelerates the object in your example our ass in the amount of distance as the thickness of the foam. I mean a human sitting down is just a controlled crash. I want get into the lost efficiently of shock absorbers with use, but a good example is my 65 year old legs. He'll I just fall into the sofa now.

bettablue
March 7th, 2014, 05:37 AM
K2 you are right it is all about de-acceleration and energy transfer. The foam cushion in this case de-accelerates the object in your example our ass in the amount of distance as the thickness of the foam. I mean a human sitting down is just a controlled crash. I want get into the lost efficiently of shock absorbers with use, but a good example is my 65 year old legs. He'll I just fall into the sofa now.

I can attest to K@'s packing. He uses so much foam packaging material, there most certainly a sofa shortage in his area. LOL!!! What bothers me the most about all of this, is that package handlers are supposed to be trained a lot better than what we seem to run into. Broken monitors are just the beginning. I've even seen my first XT computer smashed when it arrived. It was clearly damaged when the driver dropped it off, but he never said a word. No, instead, he dropped off the package, hit my doorbell and ran. (sighs) K2's packaging skills would probably have saved the day. Too many people don't use enough padding, so when the box goes through the sorting machines, boxes get banged around quite a bit.

bettablue
March 7th, 2014, 05:42 AM
Thomas:

It was packaged pretty well. It was stuffed with styrofoam, would give adequate protection against puncture but not from dropping.

I did email the shipper, when I purchased it and asked him to take extra care packing it. It needed to be double boxed with soft form rubber as packing and between the boxes.

I know what you mean Jimmy. Packages that are done well, still often don't protect against the sudden stop of a fall. And the sorting machines UPS uses, will seem like a fall from 10 feet, over and over until it's been placed into the right truck/plane etc.

I am so sorry you had this happen. To have an accident once, I can understand, but twice, to the same customer? That's just plain ridiculous.

PhilipA
March 7th, 2014, 06:18 AM
That's how the human brain is packaged. It seems to work adequately.

--Phil

SomeGuy
March 7th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Perhaps someone should make a detailed "packaging for dummies" site and/or video. Detailing things like what materials to use, where to get the materials, how to fit the items and packaging properly in to a box, when to double box or not, etc.

Of course, dummies never read such a page, but it could be helpful to link to when warning sellers so you can say "I told you so".

barythrin
March 7th, 2014, 07:43 AM
That's how the human brain is packaged. It seems to work adequately.

I'd be wary letting today's couriers ship your brain though. Talk about damage.

woodchips
March 7th, 2014, 08:53 AM
I always thought that the CGA monitor was simply an NTSC television with a different video driver? Line and frame rates match, poor quality shadowmask tube, so there must still be lots of spares provided you have a case to put it in?

I have found that double boxing is worth a couple of inches of bubble wrap, the inner box has lots of crumple room. It costs 5GBP for a decent double wall box plus at least 5GBP worth of bubble wrap to pack an oscilloscope or similar, packing costs have really gone up in the last year or two.

Jimmy
March 7th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Phil:

I must have dropped mine one two many times, it sure does not work as well as it used to.

Jimmy

Maverick1978
March 8th, 2014, 08:19 PM
I have found that double boxing is worth a couple of inches of bubble wrap, the inner box has lots of crumple room. It costs 5GBP for a decent double wall box plus at least 5GBP worth of bubble wrap to pack an oscilloscope or similar, packing costs have really gone up in the last year or two.
This is why when it's time to ship items, I typically hit up my work (a cable company) or a local department store (Walmart) for materials. You can almost always find a rigid, corrugated box for free if you go to Walmart late in the evening when they are working the pallets on the shelves from the evening's trucks. For packing materials, a little bubble wrap or even a plastic bag taped around the item, then loads of foam, packing peanuts, Styrofoam, or a smart combination thereof works wonders. And as Jimmy has already pointed out, just a simple double-box adds MUCH to the energy absorption capabilities of the package as a whole, though I am with Stone in that if the inner box is packaged correctly, you won't need an outer box. (I've shipped monitors cross-country and have NEVER had a problem)

The main thing is... care enough to do a good job. If it takes me less than 20 minutes to properly package the item once I have all the materials gathered, then I probably haven't done as thorough of a job as is necessary.

I'm also not a fan of paying UPS/Fedex packaging stores to package my items. I've paid for professional packaging a couple of different times, and in every case, their idea of professional packaging was to throw multiple items in a box, toss in a single thing sheet of bubble wrap, then tape and ship it (once, a "professionally packaged" box from UPS store even had a 6" hole in the bottom of a 12" cubed box - the hole had been covered over with layers of tape, with my Nintendo 64, 4 controllers, and 12 games all totally loose within the box, no packing material whatsoever)

k2x4b524[
March 9th, 2014, 12:47 AM
I can attest to K@'s packing. He uses so much foam packaging material, there most certainly a sofa shortage in his area. LOL!!! What bothers me the most about all of this, is that package handlers are supposed to be trained a lot better than what we seem to run into. Broken monitors are just the beginning. I've even seen my first XT computer smashed when it arrived. It was clearly damaged when the driver dropped it off, but he never said a word. No, instead, he dropped off the package, hit my doorbell and ran. (sighs) K2's packaging skills would probably have saved the day. Too many people don't use enough padding, so when the box goes through the sorting machines, boxes get banged around quite a bit.

Actually on the contrary, with the weather in the NW the way it is, i'm rather hard pressed to find lone the couch cushion, anywhere, even by the side of the road, scarce, you'd have more luck finding a condom machine in the vatican. Old pillows too. people wont get rid of the things, unless it's the whole couch or about 20 pillows........

SomeGuy
March 9th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Part of the whole problem is how much the correct shipping materials cost and their availability. You can buy boxes and bubble wrap at Walmart, but it costs and arm and a leg. Not even sure where you would get foam blocks, but certainly those would cost $$$. Add that to already WTF high shipping costs, and it is understandable why people want to cut corners.

k2x4b524[
March 9th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Hence the reason i use couch cushions. Very resilient foam, and pretty much form fits to whatever is inside the box, resulting in very little movement in the box.

Part of the whole problem is how much the correct shipping materials cost and their availability. You can buy boxes and bubble wrap at Walmart, but it costs and arm and a leg. Not even sure where you would get foam blocks, but certainly those would cost $$$. Add that to already WTF high shipping costs, and it is understandable why people want to cut corners.

barythrin
March 10th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Actually on the contrary, with the weather in the NW the way it is, i'm rather hard pressed to find lone the couch cushion, anywhere, even by the side of the road, scarce, you'd have more luck finding a condom machine in the vatican. Old pillows too. people wont get rid of the things, unless it's the whole couch or about 20 pillows........

We've learned about this in history over and over again. You've hunted them to extinction. If you keep it up no more poor little couches and love seats will have enough time to grow up into a full big sofa.