PDA

View Full Version : Solid State Options

bettablue
March 6th, 2014, 04:35 PM
How many solid state options are there out there for the IBM 5150/5160 series of PC's? I'm curious because I've run into two that I know of so far. One is the XT-IDE board, and the other is a "Lo-Tech board that does pretty much the same thing. Both use a CF card as an internal hard disc.

The reason I'm asking about other options, is because I want to have all of the available options pointed out to me before I make a decision on which option I want.

Next, I am also curious about using any of these options with my IBM 5161 expansion unit. Aside from the obvious faceplate replacements; are there any available options that will NOT work as a hard disc replacement in the expansion unit?

Stone
March 6th, 2014, 07:20 PM
You don't need to look any further. One of those two will suffice.

bettablue
March 10th, 2014, 11:02 AM
You don't need to look any further. One of those two will suffice.

I guess I don't need to worry about making a decision, or searching for anything to replace my old school hard disc drives. A friend is giving me a pretty nice IBM 5150 which includes an XD-CF Lite card from Jim Pearce. It's even coming with a pre-programmed CF card as well. I'm not going to scalp the newly acquired 5150 for any of it's parts, or peripherals. Instead, I want to use it to learn more about how the card works. The PC is also coming with a single floppy disc drive, Mono video controller, 640 Kb of RAM, among other upgrades, it's the XT-CF Lite that has me the most excited.

I want to get something that I can use to connect the current 9 pin video adapter, or another one to replace it with, that will allow me to connect the PC to a smallish TV I have in my computer room. Since the PC currently has the Mono video, I will probably look for a CGA controller with a composite out for video.

Are there any other suggestions, or something I have overlooked?

SpidersWeb
March 10th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Good plan :thumbsup: It's always nice when a new machine has purpose.
Sounds like you've got it covered.

Stone
March 10th, 2014, 11:19 AM
I have a Datamedia CGA card with composite connector if that's of interest.

bettablue
March 10th, 2014, 01:42 PM
I have a Datamedia CGA card with composite connector if that's of interest.

I honestly don't know why I bother posting new threads when I'm looking for something. So what do you want for the card? After I clear a sale, I might be able to afford one, if its not too expensive. Hit me with a PM and I'll get back to you.

Stone
March 10th, 2014, 02:14 PM
I'll get it out and test it's composite port tomorrow. I've always used it on a multisync monitor so I want to make sure the composite output works right.

Stone
March 11th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Hey, I just realized that I don't have a composite monitor to test with so I can only verify that card with a CGA monitor.

bettablue
March 11th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Hey, I just realized that I don't have a composite monitor to test with so I can only verify that card with a CGA monitor.

Can you connect the computer to a TV with the CGA cards composite RCA connection? If that works, that's all I care about. I don't have another CGA monitor, or a multisynch, which is why I'm specifically looking for a video card with the composite connection. Any TV with a yellow composite video input should work just fine. Once you connect the computer to the TV's yellow video in, and you get a picture on the TV, then it works. No picture, then it's not.

So, if you can test that, which should be quite simple, and it does in fact work and show up on the TV's screen, then I'll need a price so I can start selling a few more items to raise the money I need for that, AND the wedge mouse you have on hold for me.

Stone
March 11th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Actually it's a cable that I don't have, not a monitor. The monitor's/TV's port is RCA but the card's connector is BNC. So I'd have to cut two cables and splice them to get it to work. :-) You might need a cable like that as well for this card.

bettablue
March 11th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Actually it's a cable that I don't have, not a monitor. The monitor's/TV's port is RCA but the card's connector is BNC. So I'd have to cut two cables and splice them to get it to work. :-) You might need a cable like that as well for this card.

Actually, those cards with composite out all have an RCA connector built onto the card. Does yours not have that? If you make the cable, and it works when connected to an RCA input, what do you want for the card, and the cable?

Stone
March 11th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Actually, those cards with composite out all have an RCA connector built onto the card. Does yours not have that? If you make the cable, and it works when connected to an RCA input, what do you want for the card, and the cable?No, if I did I wouldn't need to make a cable. :-) It has a DB9 for the CGA and a BNC for the composite. I have an EGA card from the same company (Datamedia) with the same setup but two BNC connectors instead of the two RCA jacks you normally see. These cards are both full size and look like the original IBM cards they are clones of. (Except for the BNC ports instead of RCA jacks.) The EGA card also has a phone jack and I don't know what might plug into that. :-)

Pics:

17709 17710

The first is the CGA and the second is the EGA.

Stone
March 11th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Made the cable and everything works perfectly. I now have a lovely white-on-black DOS directory displayed on the multisync in CGA (TTL) mode and a sharp green on black display on the Magnavox Computer Monitor 80 via the composite input on the Magnavox monitor. Two for the price of one. :-)

bettablue
March 11th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Made the cable and everything works perfectly. I now have a lovely white-on-black DOS directory displayed on the multisync in CGA (TTL) mode and a sharp green on black display on the Magnavox Computer Monitor 80 via the composite input on the Magnavox monitor. Two for the price of one. :-)

See your messages...