PDA

View Full Version : toshiba t3100e and null modem cable

mindingulove
March 7th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and have a few questions.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CG3GwE99IeY
I saw this video, and have the same laptop.
I was wondering, how does he do that?
I have a null modem cable to connect to another computer, and a Linux up and running.
What's needed? Which programs? Is it possible with a null modem cable to USB adapter?
I wanted some help concerning that, and someone that could help me accomplish that! Its my weekend project, text browsing a 286 via Linux terminal, except that I couldn't find any topics about this and even a tutorial
Hope I can get help,thx!

mindingulove
March 8th, 2014, 06:01 PM
i'll be patient, but i would appreciate help guys!
i was also wondering, which cmos battery should i use? mine is the toshiba t3100e/40 but any 3,6 lithium battery will work? im afraid of breaking the computer using a wrong battery, is there any right amperage for the battery? because i have a common telephone battery with 3,6 lithium but idk if will toast my laptop, and i should ask before making any stupidity right?
thank you in advance

MikeS
March 8th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Pretty straightforward once you get it talking to the Linux box. If it doesn't have a serial port then yes, you'll need a USB adapter; another option if the Linux box has Bluetooth would be a wireless connection via an RS-232<>BT adapter. Enable login as a tty and Bob's your uncle.

Check the existing battery; I don't believe it's rechargeable, so a phone battery won't work for long. I've got two alkaline AA cells in mine.

SpidersWeb
March 8th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Don't expect the battery to be a 3.6V coin cell like you'd find in a 1990-2010 computer - but just open it up and see what's there. My later made (1988 and 1989) Toshiba portables used an external battery module which was easily replaced with an AA holder and 3 AA Alkaline batteries (4.5V). But I'm unfamiliar with the T3100e's battery setup. The current drain is so low, you don't really need to worry about amperes - but you should check the voltage and if it's rechargeable before replacing.

He's just using the Toshiba as a serial terminal. I can't remember the details, but it should be as simple as editing a few .conf files in /etc to get the console to work on the serial port. I'd configure the serial port with something typical such as 9600 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, and no parity. Then on the Toshiba, almost any DOS communication / terminal emulator software could be used.

Just to be certain that you know - Linux isn't running on his Toshiba, neither is the internet, it's running on his Dell - the Toshiba is just displaying and sending text over the serial port.

That's not exactly the most informative post in the world, but I'm hoping it'll give you a few terms to google.

MikeS
March 8th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Pretty sure the CMOS battery's non-rechargeable. Undo three screws under the front of the keyboard, carefully pry up across the front with a credit card or similar and release the two latches inside the slotted gap, and carefully lift up the keyboard. The battery is just behind the keyboard near the right side.

Caluser2000
March 8th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Might be usefull to the OP for starters http://www.sorgonet.com/8086/8088_linux_dumb_terminal/

MikeS
March 8th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Might be usefull to the OP for starters http://www.sorgonet.com/8086/8088_linux_dumb_terminal/
Looks like an excellent write-up; tnx for the link.

Caluser2000
March 8th, 2014, 07:27 PM
No worries I've posted it on VCF at least twice already :)

Most likely worth setting up an old linux box on a wet winters day just to play with if you are that way inclined.

mindingulove
March 9th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Thank you for the information! I'll buy the adapter. But first, I know it won't be a coin battery, but its possible to use one? Yes, the software is likely running on his dell right? When I get the adapter for the cable I'll try it :) thank you
The battery is like a a common as but out of lithium right? I just need 2AA bateries and will work fine?
oh thank you for the link will be usefull

Caluser2000
March 9th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Yes, apart from terminal emulator, the software is all running on the Dell.

A few dos terminal emulators - http://www.bttr-software.de/freesoft/comm1.htm#term

MikeS
March 9th, 2014, 11:19 AM
... I know it won't be a coin battery, but its possible to use one? Any primary (non-rechargeable) cell or battery around 3V should work (CR2032, 2xAA(A) etc.); just make sure the polarity is correct and it doesn't short against anything.

The battery is like a a common as but out of lithium right? I just need 2AA bateries and will work fine?Yes.

By the way, there is an old thread on this forum somewhere about how to expand the memory to 5MB, if you're interested.

Jack.
March 9th, 2014, 11:44 AM
I have a quick, bootable DOS Disk Image set up to be a Terminal Emulator. It boots up to a multi-choice menu, which asks you if you want to go to DOS 5.0 or the terminal emulator, TELIX, actually configured as a VT100; 9600 8n1, but you can edit that quickly via alt-driven menus. PM me if you want it.
I can also configure the image to use a different DOS version and/or do specific tasks, just tell me.

mindingulove
March 9th, 2014, 12:52 PM
I totally want it man! I'll pm you, will work on a 286?

mindingulove
March 9th, 2014, 06:21 PM
This cable will do the work?
http://dist.joshinweb.jp/emall/img/sm/JSN_C00001/middle/49/57180/4957180070001.jpg
Its an r232c right?

Caluser2000
March 9th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Question- does your proposed Linux machine have a serial(com) port as opposed to only usb ports? The chap in the video is demonstrating both machines this way.
He's using one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/6ft-DB9F-DB9F-Null-Modem-Cables-9-pin-Serial-/191060621172

SpidersWeb
March 9th, 2014, 08:42 PM
This cable will do the work?
http://dist.joshinweb.jp/emall/img/sm/JSN_C00001/middle/49/57180/4957180070001.jpg
Its an r232c right?

If you can get it working under Linux, then you can connect a null modem cable to it. I'm not sure what Linux support is like for USB to serial converters.
You'll still need a null modem cable (as Cal has linked to) because this crosses over the Transmit and Receive lines (as well as a few others).

Jack.
March 9th, 2014, 10:30 PM
I totally want it man! I'll pm you, will work on a 286?
Of course it does! PM me, today i'll hack it up.

Well, well...
Linux is not very kind with RS232-USB, so it would be better to use any integrated serial controller or a pci serial board.
I don't see the meaning of nullmodem, though. Since the Toshiba's port should be a standard RS232 DB9 port, the nullmodem cable should be useless. It's not like a PA-RISC console, where you need a 2-3;3-2!

MikeS
March 9th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Linux is not very kind with RS232-USB, so it would be better to use any integrated serial controller or a pci serial board.Certainly easier but if you have to use it USB<>RS232 does work; the FTDI versions are generally recommended.

I don't see the meaning of nullmodem, though. Since the Toshiba's port should be a standard RS232 DB9 port, the nullmodem cable should be useless. It's not like a PA-RISC console, where you need a 2-3;3-2!Well, actually it is... The Toshiba does indeed have two standard DE9 RS232 ports but so, presumably, does the Linux box; connecting transmit to transmit and receive to receive does not usually work nearly as well as connecting transmit to receive and vice versa... ;-)

mindingulove
March 10th, 2014, 06:11 AM
Its because I don't have any other PC with rs232c ports for the null cable, only USB. Using that cable will be more difficult?

Jack.
March 10th, 2014, 08:52 AM
The Toshiba does indeed have two standard DE9 RS232 ports but so, presumably, does the Linux box; connecting transmit to transmit and receive to receive does not usually work nearly as well as connecting transmit to receive and vice versa... ;-)
Damn, bingo.
That is why i couldn't get my RS232 onboard port to work on my i7! :angry:
I owe you one ;)...

mindingulove
March 10th, 2014, 11:11 AM
so using the usb rs232c cable will work? how can it be configured? ive got another question, whats the memory this computer uses? simm ram?