PDA

View Full Version : Is $75 for an untested 5153 worth it?

luvit
March 9th, 2014, 01:05 PM
I have no monitor for either my 5150 and 5160.
The current owner has no way to test his 5153 and we'll be meeting where I cannot test it..
It's not a local sale.. I live way into the boonies.
It won't break the bank if I get get the short end of the stick, but I was wondering if it's relatively a low risk (provided the exterior of the 5153 is in good shape).
I just want your opinion.

Great Hierophant
March 9th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Can you at least plug it in and turn it on? If not, unless you know how to repair one, then it is not worth it in my opinion. If you can and it's not dead our exhibits some obvious issue, then it would be worth it.

dosboxbud
March 9th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Ehh.. I would probably do it. Like you said - its not a 'bank breaker' so to speak. Also, if its something to pickup rather than wait for the shipment, I feel more comfortable about it considering you dont have to worry about it possibly getting smashed during the shipping process.

Stone
March 9th, 2014, 02:18 PM
It won't break the bank if I get get the short end of the stick, but I was wondering if it's relatively a low risk (provided the exterior of the 5153 is in good shape).FWIW, the condition of the exterior doesn't give you even the slightest clue as to the working condition of the monitor. But you already knew that. :-) :-) :-)

I've got a multisync that will work with all your computer video cards; MDA, CGA, EGA and VGA and ships with full insurance coverage. Plus, it's in excellent operating condition and has seen little or no use in over twenty years where it's been sitting on a shelf. I only pull it out to test it once in a while.

SpidersWeb
March 9th, 2014, 02:22 PM
I had to pay a LOT more than that for an untested one - but it's a different market - they're impossible to find here.
I've had to resort to using Amiga 1084S displays for my XT clones lol

One thing I did ask the seller to do, was turn it on, the tube should turn white. That's a good starting point.

FunctionalLimits
March 9th, 2014, 02:41 PM
As a bare minimum, you should ask the seller to power it up and take a photo to send you. Have him set brightness to high.

Malc
March 9th, 2014, 02:46 PM
A bit expensive for an Untested 5153, Is that a fixed price or is the seller open to offers, At best you might have to renew a few caps at worse it could be an expensive door stop.

Stone
March 9th, 2014, 02:58 PM
It is commonly accepted that in the business of used electronics untested is a metaphor for not working as expected, or not working at all. This is especially true of, but by no means limited to, eBay.

Unknown_K
March 9th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Generally if the item is from a collector or somebody who is dealing with low volume electronics I would assume it is dead. Recyclers who deal in large volume generally don't test everything or anything because they don't have the time or experience plus if they say tested in any way and it doesn't work it will bite them in the ass. There are plenty of sellers on Ebay who have tested an item to power up and get to BIOS (laptops for instance) but sell it for parts not working because they didn't test every function and don't want any issues with the buyer.

barythrin
March 9th, 2014, 03:55 PM
IMHO I wouldn't do more than $50 especially untested.. but then again I'm not desperate for one ;-) The counter argument is that it's in YOUR price range. I'd just offer to bring your XT with you so you can test it there. They'd still make the sale and both parties would happy if it works, and if not he can relist or sell it as needs work/broken for less.. possibly still making a sale.

modem7
March 9th, 2014, 03:56 PM
One thing I did ask the seller to do, was turn it on, the tube should turn white. That's a good starting point.

As a bare minimum, you should ask the seller to power it up and take a photo to send you. Have him set brightness to high.
Yes, when the IBM 5153 is powered on and not plugged into a video signal source, a bright white raster is seen. On my 5153, even a mid-range setting of the brightness control was adequate. A photo of that is [here (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5153/misc/IBM%205153%20-%20white%20raster%20when%20no%20video%20signal.jpg )], noting that my white raster appears slighly blue due to my camera operating in low light conditions.

If the raster is seen and it is white, then personally, I would have 80% confidence in the 5153. Of course, in such a situation, there may be a probem such as a broken video cable, or a problem in the video circuitry.

But if the 'white raster' test does not work, then right there, you know that the 5153 is faulty.

kyeakel
March 9th, 2014, 04:06 PM
I bought a known bad 5151 and with shipping it was $75. Took me about 3 hours to fix it today, but most of that was due to a bad monochrome card. Point is, if you can fix it, $75 might not be a bad price. It seems to me that CRT monitors are getting harder and harder to get. Recyclers keep grinding them up.

Kipp

wesleyfurr
March 9th, 2014, 04:55 PM
According to this:

http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/ShowDoc.wss?docURL=/common/ssi/rep_ca/2/897/ENUS183-002/index.html&lang=en&request_locale=en

The power requirements on a 5153 is 1 amp (or about 120 watts). 140 watt or so inverters are pretty cheap you and you could power it on from your car cigarette lighter. Or pick up a bigger 300-400 watt unit with battery clamps (too big to run from the lighter outlet), then you could bring along your computer to test it with.

Wesley

romanon
March 9th, 2014, 11:35 PM
In my opinion 75$ is good price, on ebay it is hard to find it and prices are often in hundreds dollars. Yes it is untested, but 5153 is quality build monitor.

Great Hierophant
March 10th, 2014, 11:25 AM
If you buy it and it cannot be repaired (broken tube neck for example, you are stuck with having to get rid of the tube. Usually there is a waste disposal fee.

Stone
March 10th, 2014, 11:30 AM
The town where I live takes all electronics for free.

barythrin
March 10th, 2014, 01:34 PM
If you buy it and it cannot be repaired (broken tube neck for example, you are stuck with having to get rid of the tube. Usually there is a waste disposal fee.

That's where you list it on craigslist as untested and hope some chump or vintage-computer.com member finds it. (j/k lol!!) There *IS* something to be said for finding one in localish distance. But again I think the seller wouldn't have a problem if you hauled your system there and checked it out.

Floppies_only
March 11th, 2014, 06:00 PM
According to this:

http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/ShowDoc.wss?docURL=/common/ssi/rep_ca/2/897/ENUS183-002/index.html&lang=en&request_locale=en

The power requirements on a 5153 is 1 amp (or about 120 watts). 140 watt or so inverters are pretty cheap you and you could power it on from your car cigarette lighter. Or pick up a bigger 300-400 watt unit with battery clamps (too big to run from the lighter outlet), then you could bring along your computer to test it with.

Wesley

It's very important to hook the jumper cables up correctly, otherwise the battery could explode, blinding you with battery acid.

The correct way to do it is to connect the red positive clamp to the positive post on the battery. The next step is to connect the black negative clamp to the frame or other piece of bare metal connected to the vehicle ground.

Disconnection is just as important: The black clamp should be disconnected first, then the red clamp.

The reason for this is that batteries produce flammable hydrogen gas when charged, and residual gas can be present after the engine is turned off. Connecting a jumber cable clamp causes a spark to jump right before or after contact is made or broken, which can ignite the gas outside the battery, spreading the ignition to the inside of the battery, which causes the explosion.

It's also a good idea not to start the engine while running sensitive electronics powered by the vehicle.

Also, when it comes to fixing monitors, since they have over 300 times the voltage to kill you, it's best to let a TV repairman do it. I was able to find the Sam's Photofacts on the IBM EGA 5154 monitor, and I intend to replace my monitor's bad caps if new ones can be had.

Sean

luvit
March 11th, 2014, 07:33 PM
i'm not going to lug around my pc in my miata with a power inverter.
i have experience repairing Wyse 120 dumb terminals and their CRT flyback transformers.. and discharging them.
i don't want the goof on the other end to power-up a cold CRT monitor which he may be storing in his garage.. i wouldn't trust him to wait until it gets to room temp.
i wouldn't want to meet him in a parking lot and power-up a cold monitor for testing.
in fact, i'll just have it shipped. and i'll get two of them. shipped separately and well packaged.
I could have them by next week.

modem7
March 11th, 2014, 11:55 PM
shipped separately
In my experience:
* Shipped together: 'Slippery hands Pete' will handle both boxes.
* Shipped separately: 'Slippery hands Pete' will handle box #1, and 'always tripping Jenny' will handle box #2. Pray (often) that one of them is having a good day and will only drop the box twice.

I could have them by next week.
Hopefully in their factory assembled state.

luvit
March 12th, 2014, 01:50 AM
I simply wanted to know if $75 per monitor was worth it with a non-local purchase.
I cannot test the monitors before purchase.. it's just too far to drive. I do not trust the current owner to test them.
I'm aware of the damages people receive over and over from shipping them. But in the boonies, there are no 5153 monitors to be found.
Hopefully me nagging the guy will create a sense of urgency for proper boxing and over-labeling the content's fragile appeal.
Don't get me wrong. I pray they arrive in one piece.

Malc
March 12th, 2014, 02:42 AM
But in the boonies, there are no 5153 monitors to be found.

They seem to be few and far between nowaday's over here too, I've picked up a few over the years, the last one was a 5154 and in the years i've been looking i can't remember coming across a PGA monitor, They seem to be extinct here.

Hopefully me nagging the guy will create a sense of urgency for proper boxing and over-labeling the content's fragile appeal.
Don't get me wrong. I pray they arrive in one piece.

I wish you luck :-)

mikey99
March 14th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Let us know how it goes with the 5153 ! .....I think $75 is a fair price if its in good cosmetic condition and works.

I agree these displays are getting very hard to find.
I got lucky a few years ago and found a PGA and PGD on my local craigslist..... five miles from my office.
Also picked up a couple of non-working 5154's a few miles from my home.

wesleyfurr
March 14th, 2014, 05:00 PM
It's very important to hook the jumper cables up correctly, otherwise the battery could explode, blinding you with battery acid.

Yes, for jumper cables, you are right... However, for an inverter, and speaking from experience (doh!), if you hook it up backwards it will blow the fuses...or possibly destroy the inverter. Fortunately for me, all it (a 300w inverter) needed was new fuses. Still not sure how I managed to screw that one up...but it only took a split second...

Wesley