PDA

View Full Version : Manual for the 80286 M-209 motherboard

pianoman72
March 14th, 2014, 06:05 AM
Hello,

Would anyone happen to have a copy of the M-209 motherboard manual? It is a 286 motherboard, with a Harris 20mhz CPU.
I cannot seem to find a physical or digital copy anywhere, after searching online extensively.

I mostly need it to get the exact name of the expanded memory driver that was included initially (along with its command line parameters), which is required for using its hardware C&T chipset expanded memory.

Thank you to all.

Stone
March 14th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Doesn't QRAM do/contain just that? IIRC, it's an expanded memory manager for the C&T 286 chipset.

Caluser2000
March 14th, 2014, 06:31 AM
IIRC DrDos 6s memory manager auto detects the C & T chip set and supports it out of the box so to speak.

pianoman72
March 14th, 2014, 02:57 PM
I tried Qram, about 3 different versions, and while the documentation stated the commands to enable C&T EMS support (as you pointed out), it surprisingly did not work for my motherboard. I also tried the emm.sys driver (generally written for the C&T chipset), which I researched that it may work with the chipset, but the parameters which I tried (documented ones) do not work, although instead of "no c&t chipset found", the message said "wrong parameters".

So, while it may look like emm.sys with the right parameters might work, I have no way of knowing the right commands in config.sys, unless I get some documentation, or manual.

Thanks for your continued help.

Caluser2000
March 14th, 2014, 03:39 PM
There's various C & T NEAT EMS & EMM drivers listed on this page http://ibm-pc.org/drivers/memory/memory.htm

pianoman72
March 14th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Thanks, Caluser2000.
I have tried a few versions of the C&T drivers, but have not tried the PC Chips one. I will keep trying them out.

Caluser2000
March 14th, 2014, 05:19 PM
What about EMM286.EXE? http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=17649&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20 DRDos 6.0 had EMMXMA.SYS for use with 286s.

pianoman72
March 14th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Wow, I don't believe it!
The Pc Chips expanded memory driver worked. I had no idea that, after all this time, my motherboard was actually part of the Pc Chips family. The only thing on the motherboard of reference was the C & T chipset, which I pinpointed by searching for it.
Thank you so much to everyone, and especially Caluser2000, for the link of drivers.

Caluser2000
March 14th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Good stuff!! Should be useful to someone else in the same situation.

How long have you had the mobo? And what variant of Dos are you using on it? Also a pic or two would be great.

pianoman72
March 15th, 2014, 05:17 AM
I've had the mobo for almost 4 years. Actually, I have made a post or two on the forum a few years ago (right after getting the motherboard), referring to almost the same problem.

I've been trying since then to make the expanded memory work, first using a Rampage 286 board that I have (with obviously no success, since the bus speed on that cannot handle more than 12mhz). And, knowing that I have some form of a C&T chipset, I tried pretty much all the expanded memory managers that I could find on the page which you linked to, but did not think that it could be the Pc Chips one.

I'm just using Dos 6.22 on the system, because of best compatibility with the games of the era.
I will try to take some pics of it later this weekend. Would you like to see just the bare mobo, or the the whole system?
Thanks again.

Caluser2000
March 15th, 2014, 06:48 AM
One of each would be nice thanks. Its always good to see other folks set ups. It's great that you've you've persisted and managed to solve an issue after all these years. Enjoy.

pianoman72
March 15th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Here you go, enjoy!

The case is originally from a Cyrix 686 computer, but it serves a better purpose for my 286 motherboard, although it is kind of ugly, and some screw slots in the back are deteriorating. I might look for a better case in the future.

The middle picture shows an IDE controller card and VGA card, and the bottom two cards are the original Sound Blaster 1.5, and a Roland MPU-IPC-T interface, which connects with my external Roland MIDI modules.

The motherboard has got 4 megs of SIPP ram, which I love.

pianoman72
March 15th, 2014, 07:48 PM
I meant to attach one more picture with the exterior of the computer, along with my green-eyed dog Ruby.
Somehow it didn't get attached in the previous message.

Caluser2000
March 15th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Tidy looking setup alright. Thanks. I've personally never seen a 286 over 16MHZ in speed. My Zenith system was the first 286 system I'd seen with simms. My old mobo had sipps and the faultly 286 mobo I have has dimms.

Are you going to slap a nic in it?

k2x4b524[
March 15th, 2014, 08:41 PM
I looked at the model number and should have realized this earlier, M-209, as a pc-chips board. Fits into their naming conventions. I'm glad you found what you were looking. I point you to this link, is this the right board?

http://museum.ttrk.ee/th99/m/I-L/30125.htm

pianoman72
March 16th, 2014, 04:36 AM
Tidy looking setup alright. Thanks. I've personally never seen a 286 over 16MHZ in speed. My Zenith system was the first 286 system I'd seen with simms. My old mobo had sipps and the faultly 286 mobo I have has dimms.

Are you going to slap a nic in it?
Yeah, I am amazed how much faster this 286 performs, compared to my 12mhz system. I am so content to be able to play those games with EMS now.

As far as the NIC, I have thought about it, and it might be a future project, but I would need to purchase such a card, as I do not currently own one. Any thoughts on the most compatible one for my system?

pianoman72
March 16th, 2014, 04:39 AM
I looked at the model number and should have realized this earlier, M-209, as a pc-chips board. Fits into their naming conventions. I'm glad you found what you were looking. I point you to this link, is this the right board?

http://museum.ttrk.ee/th99/m/I-L/30125.htm
Yup, that's the one alright. I can't believe I didn't notice the PC Chips logo, too.
Thanks for the link.

Caluser2000
March 16th, 2014, 06:28 AM
As far as the NIC, I have thought about it, and it might be a future project, but I would need to purchase such a card, as I do not currently own one. Any thoughts on the most compatible one for my system?I'm using a Genius (KYE) GE2000 series in my 286 and one in a 486. Most of my other ISA based systems from a 386 though to a P200mmx use D-Link DE220s series nics without much trouble in Dos, win/wfw3.x, win9x, NT3.x/4, linux and OS/2. All have rj45 and bnc connectors for the times when I want to have a play using Thinnet cable.

I kept reading on the internet that finding drivers for the Genius nics was hard but that turned out to be false. Got them within 5 mins.

pianoman72
March 16th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Cool, thanks!
I will look for one on Ebay shortly.

Caluser2000
March 16th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Good luck. No dought there's plenty of other ISA nics that'll do the job just fine. As you probably already know it'll also gives you the option for sticking in a XTIDE rom if you want so the system can handle larger capacity hdds or IDE/CF with appropriate larger sized card.

pianoman72
March 17th, 2014, 04:34 AM
Very cool, indeed.
I did not know that a NIC card could affect the MB Bios in that way.
I haven't found your card yet, but I will keep on looking.
Thanks!

Caluser2000
March 17th, 2014, 07:31 PM
3Com EtherLink III (3C509B) ISA cards are popular with members, are plentiful and will work fine with your system. There's quite a few post about how the XT-IDE Bios Rom for nics functions.

pianoman72
March 19th, 2014, 05:45 AM
That's good to hear, since I saw quite a few 3Com NICs on Ebay, including this NIB item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141160905670?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Do you think the drivers (including the packet drivers) are included in the box? What else would I need to download, besides the drivers, and maybe Arachne browser, to get on the net with my 286 machine?

Thanks!

Caluser2000
March 19th, 2014, 09:21 AM
All my nics have been given to me.

Without actually viewing the contents of the box and any disks inside it's hard to say. Generally they are though. Should be easy enough to get hold of them on the internet and no dought members have them. Just ask and someone will pipe up.

As for software, definitely get hold the mTCP suite of software - http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/ I set that up on the Zenith last night. A text based browser such as Lynx could be the go.

It you want, for s*&^ts and jiggles, you can also use the 286 as a terminal from a *nix box though the serial port using a null-modem cable http://www.sorgonet.com/8086/8088_linux_dumb_terminal/ if you have a newer box with serial ports. jack, an Italian member has made a nice boot disk image with a terminal you can use.

Krille
March 19th, 2014, 09:56 AM
There should definitely be drivers included in that box and a packet driver as well but the performance and memory requirements of the official 3Com packet driver is just horrible. Use the crynwr packet driver (http://crynwr.com/drivers/3c509116.zip) instead.

Also, not all 3C509B cards come with an option ROM socket so you might want to look at other auctions where you can actually see what the card looks like.

SpidersWeb
March 19th, 2014, 11:00 AM
I'm still a DE220 fanboy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/D-Link-DE-220PCT-network-card-Carte-ISA-ethernet-reseau-RJ45-BNC-free-sip-/261423240055?pt=FR_Informatique_Cartes_Reseaux_Int ernes&hash=item3cde0a1377

3C509 sealed in box is pretty awesome, but as Krille mentioned, can't quite tell if it'll have the socket or not.

pianoman72
March 19th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Wow, thank you to all.
It is overwhelmingly awesome to have this kind of support from you guys.
I will search some more this weekend, based on your recommendations.

pianoman72
March 20th, 2014, 05:29 AM
Can the D-Link DE-220PCT manage well in a non-plug and play system, such as my 286?
The description on Ebay says that it's a plug and play card.

Since I have never configured a network card in DOS, let alone on a 286, I'm not sure if I need to be concerned with that aspect, unless it has dip switches which are documented in the manual. Or perhaps it is set to automatically find the irq, memory address, dma, etc. on a non-PNP computer.

Thanks for your input.

Caluser2000
March 20th, 2014, 08:35 AM
They'll function fine in non PnP systems, 8 bit and 16 bit, if you read the manual http://files.dlink.com.au/Products/RDE-220PCT/Manuals/RDE-220PCT_Manual.pdf I've got a couple doing just that in a 386DX25 with wfw 3.11 as well a 486DX2/66 running OS/2 v3.

You just need to run a setup program in dos to assign the irq and address etc. I normally set mine to irq10 and 300H across the board. A catch in running some setup software is it may need to run in say a 286 or even higher ISA setup and then the nic can be placed in an older system.

I'm not from an IT background and the first time I'd ever set up a pure Dos networking system was a few years ago. It really isn't that hard at all and I wondered why I never did it years ago. Back in the early 90s when I had my first 286 any "networking" at home was done via null-modem cable. A good thing these days is ISA nics are literally a dime a dozen ;)

pianoman72
March 20th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Nice, great to know.
I'm having some trouble getting your link to open. I'm not sure if the website is down at the moment, but I will try it a bit later.

Caluser2000
March 20th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Changed the link to a manual pdf link.

pianoman72
March 21st, 2014, 05:40 AM
Well, I won the auction on Ebay for the D-Link, with no one else bidding.
Thanks to pointing that auction for me, and I look forward to getting the card.
Caluser2000, thanks for changing the link to pdf, I got to read it.

Caluser2000
March 21st, 2014, 06:43 AM
Good stuff. Look forward to ready how you progress. It's nice seeing another 286 system being put put to good use.

pianoman72
April 21st, 2014, 05:21 PM
Great news! The DE-220P network card arrived finally, after one month from France.
I set it up in my 286@20mhz computer, and it worked well, but was extremely slow with Arachne web browser.
I then moved it to my 486@66mhz computer, and Arachne is much more responsive in this machine. I could browse quite a few websites, such as Google and Vogons.

However, I have also tried to use the mTCP suite, which I downloaded from Mike Brutman's website. After unzipping the software suite, I could not find (so far) an executable program, either from the Telnet directory, or otherwise. Maybe I'm missing another download or link somewhere.

If anyone is able to give me some pointers on how to set up Telnet, or other useful programs from Mike's website, I would appreciate it. Also, are there other good websites that I could fully explore with Arachne?

Thanks very much.