PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba t3100 errors

mindingulove
March 14th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Ive got a Toshiba t3100 and some errors occur during boot.
It says hard disk controller failure strike the f1 to continue f2 to run the set up utility
If I press f1 I get insert system disk in drive press any key to continue
If I press f2 I get hard disk 1 failed initialization hit any key to continue. That brings me to setup.
Thank you! If someone could help me with that I would be glad

MikeS
March 14th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Sounds like hard disk 1 has indeed failed :(

You could open up the computer and see if the disk is actually spinning, but there's probably not much you can do besides replacing the drive; if it is really a T3100 (not a T3100e) then it's not a 'normal' IDE drive and a replacement may be a little hard to find.

Maybe an XT-CF lite would work as a replacement...

Good luck!

mindingulove
March 14th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Any ide with 40 mb would work?

mindingulove
March 14th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Its the "e" version with 40mb HD. I found one HD with 40 mb but not sure if it its compatible. Has ide interface

MikeS
March 14th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Its the "e" version with 40mb HD. I found one HD with 40 mb but not sure if it its compatible. Has ide interfaceIf it's the 'e' version then you're in luck; it does use a standard IDE drive but only provides BIOS entries for a 20MB and a 40MB drive and I don't recall offhand what the parameters are (i.e. which drives will work). Google might help...

But you can use what's known as a DDO (Disk Drive Overlay) if your drive is not natively compatible.

Stone
March 15th, 2014, 03:18 AM
But you can use what's known as a DDO (Disk Drive Overlay)...Actually, it's a Dynamic Drive Overlay. :-)

mindingulove
March 15th, 2014, 07:58 AM
And how can i implement ddo on my thoshiba?

mindingulove
March 15th, 2014, 08:01 AM
If it's the 'e' version then you're in luck; it does use a standard IDE drive but only provides BIOS entries for a 20MB and a 40MB drive and I don't recall offhand what the parameters are (i.e. which drives will work). Google might help...

But you can use what's known as a DDO (Disk Drive Overlay) if your drive is not natively compatible.
Taking a photo of the bios will help finding the parameters?

MikeS
March 15th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Actually, it's a Dynamic Drive Overlay. :-)Brainfart; I knew that! Thanks.

MikeS
March 15th, 2014, 10:39 PM
And how can i implement ddo on my thoshiba?Depends on what drive you're planning to use. ?

MikeS
March 15th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Taking a photo of the bios will help finding the parameters?
I don't think so, but photos are always nice... ;-)

Jack.
March 16th, 2014, 02:58 AM
You can use any IDE, even if not supported. I got a 512mb IDE working into my Olivetti M300 (that one is a bastard), which doesn't support anything different than some HDDs listed in the BIOS.
Put in a 40-256mb IDE HDD, open Setup and choose 40mb. That should do the trick, but you will not be able to use more than 40mb, of course. For example, i'm limited to an odd 87mb :o

mindingulove
March 16th, 2014, 02:56 PM
You can use any IDE, even if not supported. I got a 512mb IDE working into my Olivetti M300 (that one is a bastard), which doesn't support anything different than some HDDs listed in the BIOS.
Put in a 40-256mb IDE HDD, open Setup and choose 40mb. That should do the trick, but you will not be able to use more than 40mb, of course. For example, i'm limited to an odd 87mb :o
Oh thank you! So I have an option for 40 mb in my bios, the HD I found its 40mb, just replace and set the option for 40mb and will just work fine? Thank you!

mindingulove
March 16th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Its a Quantum Corporation ProDrive ELS 42AT. The Toshiba onde its a Conner CP3044. Quantum has
Cylinders 968 PIO Mode(s) 2
W/R Heads 5 DMA Mode(s)
Sectors/Track 17

While conner has
Sectors: 17
Heads: 2
Disks: 1
Buffer Size: 8KB, segmented, adaptive
Average Seek: 25 ms
Single Track 8 ms
Rotation Speed/Avg. Latency 3557 rpm / 8.4 ms
Transfer Rate to/from media 1.5 MB/sec
Transfer Rate to/from buffer 4.5 MB/sec
TPI (Tracks Per Inch) 1400
BPI (KBits Per Inch) 30,871
Size 1.0" Height x 4.0" Wide x 5.75" Depth
Weight 1.1 lbs
http://theref.mfarris.com/hard_drives/quantum/quantum_pro_drive_els-42at.html

http://www.computerhope.com/hdd/hdd0036.htm

MikeS
March 16th, 2014, 11:08 PM
In my experience the early IDE drives and BIOSes were not nearly as accommodating of different drive parameters as more modern ones, so I'm not quite as certain as Jack that it will work as is.

However, if it doesn't I think you could still use a DDO to do the translation; FWIW I have a non-standard 80MB drive in my T3100e. Another option would be to modify the drive parameter table in the BIOS but that's perhaps not convenient for you and probably not necessary anyway.

Maybe someone else can add something to the thread?

mindingulove
March 17th, 2014, 05:48 PM
In my experience the early IDE drives and BIOSes were not nearly as accommodating of different drive parameters as more modern ones, so I'm not quite as certain as Jack that it will work as is.

However, if it doesn't I think you could still use a DDO to do the translation; FWIW I have a non-standard 80MB drive in my T3100e. Another option would be to modify the drive parameter table in the BIOS but that's perhaps not convenient for you and probably not necessary anyway.

Maybe someone else can add something to the thread?

but how do I enable ddo?

SpidersWeb
March 17th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Put it in and see what happens, no point waiting for us.

DDO is software that lets you access larger drives than what your system supports. Since you're putting in a 40Mb drive to replace a 40Mb drive - there is no point in worrying about a DDO right now.

There is two things I'm cautious of - but we can't be sure until you've installed it:

- Toshiba detecting the drive only has 968 cylinders when it was expecting 980 (in which case you'll have to try setting it to 20Mb, and if that passes, then look at installing a DDO)
- Toshiba detecting it's hard drive model number no longer begins with "CP" and refusing to talk to it (I can't remember what models or BIOS versions do this).

Hopefully you just plug it in and it works.

mindingulove
March 20th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Will msdos 6 work? Thx!

MikeS
March 20th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Will msdos 6 work? Thx!No problem; running 6.22 in mine instead of the 4.0 it came with. You might want a couple of Toshiba utilities to set screen mode etc. once you get it working.

BTW, how are you accessing the BIOS setup?

m

SpidersWeb
March 20th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Provided there is no drama with hardware, then yeah MS DOS 6 will work just fine.

mindingulove
March 21st, 2014, 04:31 AM
When I get controller error it says press f1 For system disk or f2 for bios setup. But I still gotta wait for my 40mb drive arrive. I only have a 20 GB hard drive that probably wont work. But I bought this 40mb one

mindingulove
March 21st, 2014, 01:25 PM
And about The Toshiba utilities for this laptop, where can I get those? Thx

modem7
March 21st, 2014, 03:41 PM
They are installed as part of Toshiba DOS.

Some relevant Toshiba technical support bulletins:
TSB-0009-C: THE USE OF IBM PC DOS WITH TOSHIBA PORTABLES (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/misc/toshiba_TSB-0009-C.txt)
TSB-061-C: DOS RELEASES (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/misc/toshiba_TSB-061-C.txt)

modem7
March 21st, 2014, 03:47 PM
- Toshiba detecting it's hard drive model number no longer begins with "CP" and refusing to talk to it (I can't remember what models or BIOS versions do this).
The final posts in the thread [here (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?15115)] indicates that at least the T5200 has this issue.

modem7
March 21st, 2014, 04:55 PM
And another Toshiba technical support bulletin that may be of use later:
TSB-0029-C: LOW LEVEL FORMAT ON HARD DISK DRIVES T1200, T3100, T3100/20, T3200 AND T5100 (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/misc/toshiba_TSB-0029-C.txt)

MikeS
March 21st, 2014, 05:35 PM
And another Toshiba technical support bulletin that may be of use later:
TSB-0029-C: LOW LEVEL FORMAT ON HARD DISK DRIVES T1200, T3100, T3100/20, T3200 AND T5100 (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/misc/toshiba_TSB-0029-C.txt)Careful; the T3100 and T3100e use very different hard disks. But thanks for those links!

MikeS
March 21st, 2014, 05:42 PM
See: http://files.mpoli.fi/drivers_1/SET/TOSHIBA/README.TXT
http://files.mpoli.fi/drivers_1/SET/TOSHIBA/
The only two that are really useful are CHAD and TEST3

Also interesting:
http://resource.toshiba-europe.com/europe/bv/computers/flyers/classics/t3100e_e.pdf

and
http://www.pcxt-micro.com/toshiba-dos.html

mindingulove
March 21st, 2014, 07:50 PM
Those files are also on toshiba website. I burned a msdos 6 diskette as iit still asks for system disk when controller fails. I must burn a Toshiba dos floppy instead of msdos as its the Toshiba system disk? Where can Toshiba dos be found? And what about test 3 and chad? I only need to burn it on a floppy and when asks for system disk put it on? Remember I get controller disk error, gotta wait for my new hard drive, so can't execute test3 from msodos. BTW, my new HD will ship with msdod 6, will Toshiba boot it as its not thoshiba dos?

mindingulove
March 23rd, 2014, 08:06 AM
Found it here http://oscollect.old-dos.ru

SpidersWeb
March 23rd, 2014, 10:46 AM
Those files are also on toshiba website. I burned a msdos 6 diskette as iit still asks for system disk when controller fails. I must burn a Toshiba dos floppy instead of msdos as its the Toshiba system disk? Where can Toshiba dos be found? And what about test 3 and chad? I only need to burn it on a floppy and when asks for system disk put it on? Remember I get controller disk error, gotta wait for my new hard drive, so can't execute test3 from msodos. BTW, my new HD will ship with msdod 6, will Toshiba boot it as its not thoshiba dos?

Toshiba DOS is normal MS DOS with a a couple of utilities thrown in. You don't need Toshiba DOS.
You can copy TEST3 on to a floppy disk and run it under MS DOS if you needed to.

MikeS
March 23rd, 2014, 12:26 PM
Toshiba DOS is normal MS DOS with a a couple of utilities thrown in. You don't need Toshiba DOS.
You can copy TEST3 on to a floppy disk and run it under MS DOS if you needed to.Yeah, especially if you want to run DOS >4.x, which is what the latest T3100e came with AFAIK. Other than Chad and Test3 I don't know what other differences there are between generic MS-DOS and the corresponding Toshiba version; maybe an obscure keyboard or display driver?

Like I said, I'm running MS-DOS 6.22 with an 80MB hard disk, memory expanded to 5MB, and either an internal ISA modem or an 8-bit I/O card, with no issues whatsoever. A nice machine for old-time hardware-level stuff: one-piece, portable, two serial and one parallel ports, great display and a nice keyboard; external RGB and auxiliary keyboard connectors, and I have to finish building that external 5.25" drive one of these days...

mindingulove
March 23rd, 2014, 02:41 PM
Thank you! Well i doewnloaded a msdos 4 from Toshiba, then 4 version. I can't boot msdos since HD is broken, so the laptop asks me to floppy system. I garb my msdos 4 floppy and for some reason what so ever it tries to load but says non system disk, or drive error please insert another floppy. That seems weird since the floppy works. Will msdos 6 run on a 1 mb machine?

SpidersWeb
March 23rd, 2014, 02:57 PM
Did you write a bootable disk image? (as apposed to just copying files on to the floppy).

MS DOS 6 will run run on almost any IBM PC or compatible. By default, it wont see any RAM above 640KB anyway.

mindingulove
March 23rd, 2014, 03:51 PM
I downloaded an image and used a program, next I booted it on an ordinary PC and booted, but as it's a modern one I'm not sure. Next I used the floppy on the Toshiba and said those words. Just for being sure, how do I need to burn the floppy image?

mindingulove
April 4th, 2014, 06:11 AM
Well replaved hard drive, replaced CMOS battery and still got the same error, bit at this time in portuguese (msdos language installed on my hdd) cantora find system replace and read enter. When using FDD it gime that error in English if anyone has any idea I will be glad

mindingulove
April 4th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Addition, it only works when 20 mb is set on bios. The HDD is 40

MikeS
April 4th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Addition, it only works when 20 mb is set on bios. The HDD is 40What do you mean, "It works"? We need a little more detail.
Did you prepare the hard disk? How, if you can't boot from the floppy?

Did you say that you have another computer that boots correctly from the floppy disk?

mindingulove
April 4th, 2014, 07:19 AM
I mean that when I set to 20mb I won't get HD controller failure. but when passes memory test it said no system disk or drive error please replace it and try again (in Portuguese which is the msdos language installed in this hard drive)

Well I have a computer that boots the floppy into this same floppy I'm using. But I keep getting this error in Toshiba.

How can I prepare the hard disk? Maybe I missed smth. Msdos 5 is installed and hard disk is jumped as slave.

Floppy gets the same error as the hard drive no system disk or drive error please replace it and try again( this time in English )

mindingulove
April 4th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Sorry forgot to tell you this, the msdos was installed in another computer, and the floppy 2.
Is the problem in bios? Or a bad component in motherboard?
Is there another way of installing msdos in another system then bringing it back to my Toshiba?
At least the floppy should work
. Don't think replacing will help.
How do you burn system images in windows xp ? I used win image app. My spare PC in which I burned the floppy is a windows do machine.

Krille
April 4th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Msdos 5 is installed and hard disk is jumped as slave.

Maybe you should try with it jumpered as Master?

MikeS
April 4th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Maybe you should try with it jumpered as Master?Indeed; why did you set it as Slave?

I don't think there's a problem on the motherboard or even the BIOS settings; sounds more like a setup/configuration problem, although the floppy drive may (also) be bad.

What did you mean "a windows do machine"? DOS?

Maybe we could make more progress if we chatted directly on line; if you like, PM me and we'll see what we can set up.

m

mindingulove
April 4th, 2014, 11:58 AM
im sorry i wrote it wrong, its set as master! and sory for the english mistakes is because of my android keyboard keeps correcting the words to portuguese

mindingulove
April 5th, 2014, 11:32 AM
This time I replaced the e cable, tested the hard drive I bought, its working. But when I plugged in Toshiba got hard disk controller failure again :(

SpidersWeb
April 5th, 2014, 04:00 PM
I mean that when I set to 20mb I won't get HD controller failure. but when passes memory test it said no system disk or drive error please replace it and try again (in Portuguese which is the msdos language installed in this hard drive)

Your new hard drive has a few less cylinders than the original 40Mb - it's probably detecting this and having a fit.
Not a problem if the floppy was working (could just format/partition/drive overlay etc)

If you're preparing it another machine:

- Set Toshiba to 20Mb setting, write down the cylinders, heads, sectors per track
- Turn it off and pop the drive back in the newer machine
- Manually enter those numbers in to the BIOS on the newer machine <-- do not use autodetect
- format and partition it etc (as a 20Mb)
- reinstall in the Toshiba and see if it works.

One issue I ran in to in the past was I'd prepare a hard drive using auto detect, then later discover in the Toshiba it was using some translation mode so the drive was unreadable. That was on a T5200 but I wouldn't be surprised if the same was happening here too.

(At least gives you something to try until someone else comes along with a better plan)

mindingulove
April 10th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Spider I have an ide-USB adapter, that can be done with a windows program ? Or even in a virtual machine? My computer in which I connected the hard drive for the preparation its way to modern,its a core i7. Will it work on the core i7? Because I can't see a way to install the msdos via that core i7 PC.
I do have another machine that has a floppy but its modern 2. Its a core 2 duo.
And all my other PCs are macs haha msdos can't be installed in ppc.
How about the command.com the .sys file and autoexec.bat? I can get those edited right?
My idea its installing msdos in a donor PC like you said, moding the bios and installing msdos, just can't get a way to install msdos for completing the surgery

Thank you!

MikeS
April 11th, 2014, 06:05 AM
You may be making this much more complicated than it needs to be.

Let's start again at the beginning: I've emailed you a self-extracting DOS image; let's see if your floppy drive really does not work.

But I still need answers to the questions I asked you off-list; it's hard to help you if you don't tell me/us what I/we need to know.

Specifically at this point, what OS are you running on the computer with the 1.44MB floppy drive? Presumably you have a way to get the image I sent on to that computer?

mindingulove
April 12th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Ok lets start from,begining. My pc that hás The drive is a windows XP. Yes I can burn it with a diskette burning tool thank you!

MikeS
April 12th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Ok lets start from,begining. My pc that hás The drive is a windows XP. Yes I can burn it with a diskette burning tool thank you!You don't need any tools.

- First of all, did you receive the file cd91us.exe and download it OK?
- I've sent you the same file renamed as cd91us.bmp in case the .exe was quarantined.
- Download/save it to a convenient location (e.g. c:\)
- Insert a formatted 1.44MB diskette; make sure it has no errors.
- Open a command prompt (Start, Run, CMD).
- CD C:\ (or wherever you saved the file).
- Type: cd91us a:
- Type Y and wait for it to finish; you should now have a bootable diskette with Toshiba's DOS6.22 and various tools and utilities.
- Make sure the switch on the right side of the T3100e is set to PRT or B.
- Try it in the T3100e and let us know if it works.

mindingulove
April 13th, 2014, 09:49 AM
It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you, msdos started, now we gotta go for the next step and get it running on the hdd

mindingulove
April 13th, 2014, 10:08 AM
It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you, msdos started, now we gotta go for the next step and get it running on the hdd

i can access hdd from this floppy you gave me.

MikeS
April 13th, 2014, 10:39 AM
i can access hdd from this floppy you gave me.What does "access" mean?

- Does it pass the diagnostics? (Replace the floppy if you're going to test the FDD)
- Does CHKDSK C: report any errors?
- Can you read data off it?
- Does it have a DOS directory?

Note that the floppy only has a basic set of DOS files; in the (unlikely) event that the hard disk is readable without problems and happens to have MS-DOS 6.22 on it you might only have to make it bootable (SYS C: ).

Otherwise you will probably have to FDISK and FORMAT /S, which will erase any data on the hard disk.

mindingulove
April 13th, 2014, 06:27 PM
OK let's go by steps.
I was ablwpe to boot from floppy.
Entered in dos and checked dir I was able to read data from it.
The dos folder was there.
But unfortunately I couldn't play more with it.
After arriving home, I started it again, but now the laptop says starting msdos and the FDD led stops blinking. Very weird, seems like FDD stops running? It says starting msdos
Maybe a bad floppy? I was able to boot before. As soon as I manage to boot into it i will try format /s

mindingulove
April 13th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Edit
Still get
Edit 2, I inserted the floppy and pressed f1 after hard disk failled(picture above)
Look what happens:
Happy we are making progress thank you mike and everyone!
PS sometimes instead of hard disk failure as seen in picture 3 I still get hard disk drive controller failure and when that happens I can't boot from floppy
A lot of progress today, gotta sleep now haha university tomorow

MikeS
April 13th, 2014, 11:18 PM
Try a different floppy disk.

Your HD problem may be caused by the fact that your HD does not match the BIOS setting.

Too bad you erased the DOS folder; that might have simplified things a bit.

Try CHKDSK C: as I suggested; what does it report?
And what does FDISK report?

mindingulove
April 14th, 2014, 08:31 AM
I was able to install msdos again the does folder still there. But still get hard disk failure. So I downloaded msdos boot disk. Look what happens
That's when I boot from msdos boot disk

mindingulove
April 14th, 2014, 08:39 AM
OK ill be doing this using the toshiba floppy you sended me(cd91us.exe)
chkdsk reports
Fdisk reports (option 2 set as active)
I should use option 1? Create does partition or logical does drive?
Here is HD Dir
Here is scandisk
After scanning did not find any error. Couldn't post pic because have limit of 5 per post

mindingulove
April 14th, 2014, 08:57 AM
I installed toshiba utilities, but tsetup hangs forever

MikeS
April 14th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I installed toshiba utilities, but tsetup hangs forever
I'm not surprised; it's not for a T3100e.

We're going in circles; go back and read the README.TXT I pointed to in post #27. As I said way back then, the T3100e setup program is TEST3.

mindingulove
April 14th, 2014, 09:41 AM
oh sorry :) i totally should have researched that again.
that file was not starting because it wasnt meant to be on that laptop version.
so should i run test 3 now? dos folder still there, will be helpful?
chkdsk didn't get me any error neither did fdsk

TEST3.EXE T1800, T1850, T2000 series,
T3100 series, T3200 series,
T2200SX, T3300SL, T4400 series, T5100,
T5200 series, T6400 series

MikeS
April 14th, 2014, 11:54 AM
...so should i run test 3 now? dos folder still there, will be helpful? Probably not; it partitions memory and selects the hard disk, not much there. No harm though.

chkdsk didn't get me any error neither did fdskEverything looks good; you just can't boot?

What's the error message?

Try going into the DOS folder on the hard disk and running SYS C:

Stone
April 14th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Try going into the DOS folder on the hard disk and running SYS C:You know you can't run SYS C: from C:! :-)

MikeS
April 14th, 2014, 02:57 PM
You know you can't run SYS C: from C:! :-)Sigh... twice in one thread! Yeah, I know that...time to retire or take a vacation (or at least focus on what I'm doing)... :rastarolleye:

Good thing you're there to keep me honest.

Stone
April 14th, 2014, 03:56 PM
I'm at the other end of our wormhole. :-)

mindingulove
April 14th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Probably not; it partitions memory and selects the hard disk, not much there. No harm though.
Everything looks good; you just can't boot?

What's the error message?

Try going into the DOS folder on the hard disk and running SYS C:

yes i cant just boot t gives me hard driVe failure.
so look what have i done after hard disk failure. i grabed a msdos boot disk, when i press f1 it asked boot disk so inserted the msdos boot disk and got the folowing:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18273&d=1397492946
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18274&d=1397493035
lol banana device
ps notice hard disk failure in firts pic

SpidersWeb
April 14th, 2014, 04:36 PM
lol, I use "Banana" quite often. My wifi networks are Banana and Boogers.

mindingulove
April 14th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Look what happens when I use sys c:\

Stone
April 14th, 2014, 05:31 PM
You don't use a backslash in the SYS command. Try SYS C: and see what happens.

MikeS
April 14th, 2014, 10:34 PM
You really like to confuse and complicate what is probably a fairly simple problem...

Why don't you use the Toshiba DOS boot disk I sent you instead of whatever you're using there that tries to load and configure XMS that you don't have, a CD-ROM drive that you don't have, etc., and may well be incompatible with your hard disk anyway.

Boot the Toshiba diskette, exit to DOS and type SYS C: (WITHOUT the \ ) and let's see what happens.

mindingulove
April 15th, 2014, 06:30 AM
OK, I tried sys c:
Then I started PC again and :

SpidersWeb
April 15th, 2014, 03:24 PM
The failure is probably making the BIOS skip the HDD for booting.
But the drive is obviously fine.

Does the "Hard disk failure" error go away if you set the BIOS to the 20Mb setting? (it may not boot still, but that error needs to go away)

mindingulove
April 15th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I think its coincidence but after booting from Toshiba diskette I'm having trouble to start on bios. It all started when I first booted on the floppy.
Now even without it, when it asks to strike f1 or f2 for bios if I press f2 the screen hangs on and nothing happens. Maybe removing battery works?

MikeS
April 15th, 2014, 06:49 PM
I think its coincidence but after booting from Toshiba diskette I'm having trouble to start on bios. It all started when I first booted on the floppy.
Now even without it, when it asks to strike f1 or f2 for bios if I press f2 the screen hangs on and nothing happens. Maybe removing battery works?Can F1 still boot the floppy?

mindingulove
April 16th, 2014, 03:23 AM
Yes it Still can. Just f2 seems "broken"
I tried hundred of times entering the setup.
After a few tries it loaded. Changed hard drive to 20mb, and restated. I got non system disk or error.
But after putting the diskette and using sys c command it booted from HDD!!!!!
Now I need some tips about getting it optimal and using the terminal.
How can I use expanded memory?
I installed windows 3.0

mindingulove
April 16th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Chkdsk indicates a 40mb HDD but scandisk says 20,9495 clusters, not sure if it recognized all the mb.
Not surprised as in bios its set to 20mb. The next step would be expanding that?
Thank you all!

MikeS
April 16th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Chkdsk indicates a 40mb HDD but scandisk says 20,9495 clusters, not sure if it recognized all the mb.
Not surprised as in bios its set to 20mb. The next step would be expanding that?
Thank you all!If you actually read the CHKDSK report you'll see that each cluster (allocation unit) is 2048 bytes; I don't know what 20,9495 is in English, but 20,949 x 2048 is 42,903,552, so what's the problem?

mindingulove
April 16th, 2014, 01:31 PM
If you actually read the CHKDSK report you'll see that each cluster (allocation unit) is 2048 bytes; I don't know what 20,9495 is in English, but 20,949 x 2048 is 42,903,552, so what's the problem?

sorry for m y ignorance friend you are right! :huh:
now its all ok with the pc. thank you!:clap2: as you said, the pc would be up and runing!
i couldnt get it to work without you and people who helped me in this forum. thanks for the patience and help!
i will try next to use the terminal to conect to my pc, i just need to buy the cable!:transformer:

MikeS
April 16th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Always a pleasure to meet another T3100 owner and be able to help out a bit; good luck!

mindingulove
April 17th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Hey guys :) I have one question, my win 3 settings are the following:
Is there anyway to install the original displaytipe in options?
I have some problems also running civilization into this computer, is it possible?
Thank you!

Jack.
April 17th, 2014, 12:10 PM
I don't think there are custom drivers for that screen, a simple monochrome configuration like what is selected should do...
-
I don't know... search for RAM and video requirements for that game and compare those to your T3100 specs.