PDA

View Full Version : What type of device is this (also maybe make and model)?

ilyaz
March 15th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Question from a relative novice.

This looks like a 4-button trackball mouse of some type but it does not have any maker id on it. It does have model and S/N number info on it which is quite faded. Can someone tell me who might have made it and whether it's a regular 4-button mouse or some special device? Thx much!

krebizfan
March 15th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Take a look at http://www.specialneedscomputers.ca/index.php?l=product_detail&p=141 which is a Libra 90 in black. Yours is Libra 9? (can't read second digit) in beige. Should be close enough for driver usage. It should work with Win 98 and later OSes right out of the box.

ilyaz
March 15th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Take a look at http://www.specialneedscomputers.ca/index.php?l=product_detail&p=141 which is a Libra 90 in black. Yours is Libra 9? (can't read second digit) in beige. Should be close enough for driver usage. It should work with Win 98 and later OSes right out of the box.

Thanks. The FCC ID I think ends with 90PH, or maybe PW or PM or PN. The model end with 90 and then whichever letter comes after the P in FCC ID. The connector is a bit different from the black one: it's a 9-pin female with the top-right and the bottom-left two holes bigger than the other 6.

krebizfan
March 16th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Right. Missed that. The currently manufactured model has a PS/2 port with a PS/2 to USB converter attached to it could connect to either a PS/2 mouse port or to USB port. Your model is (probably) a little earlier with a serial port*. Win 98 and Win 2000 should include the proper drivers for that trackball. It might not work with XP or later as support for serial port mice got dropped. I suspect that the manufacturer had drivers for DOS and Win 3.x (and perhaps other OSes) which with enough searching and some luck you might find. The manufacturer changed the corporate name multiple times: currently iOne but previously Qtronix.

These devices were manufactured in many slightly different guises. The same drivers should work with all models.

* The PS/2 port is a serial port in a round form. The 9 pin serial port is for the more general purpose RS 232 serial port for PCs. Because of the similarity, many mice were sold with both PS/2 and serial port connectors with an adapter to switch to the desired connector. I don't know if your trackball would work with a Serial to PS/2 port adapter. I doubt you could get it to work with a USB port even if you try a USB to Serial adapter or a Serial to PS/2 adapter attached to a PS/2 to USB adapter chain.