PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to boot from CD in al old 486 system ?

inakito
March 16th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I have a 486 from Compaq that has an integrated SCSI adapter, attached to a Yamaha CD-ROM.
When I start the system under Windows-98 I can see and read the CD/ROM.
But, I wonder, is it possible to boot from CD on a system that old ? (it is the Compaq portable 486c/66Mhz with 32MB).
I remember that, in order to boot from a CD-ROM the BIOS had to understand the 'El Torito' boot format. Did those machines supported that feature?
In case the answer is 'yes'. How can I boot from CD ? Do I need to enter the internal SCSI menu or something?
(Note: these machines do not have a internal BIOS SETUP software to choose the boot drive).

Inakito.

luvit
March 16th, 2014, 10:13 AM
That is likely not an integrated SCSI adapter. It's likely to be an IDE connector. (Is it 40 pins?)
Try the link in this post (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?41686-Windows-95-98-Boot-disc&p=317246#post317246)
The PC will boot to floppy, and initialize the CD-ROM drive and name it Drive R:
From there you can lauch a setup program from CD.

willyk
March 16th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Don't know your specific machine, but I believe as you suggest you need bios support to be able to boot from CD. Try to find out how to get to the bios setup mode at boot. Many of my Dell machines require pressing F2 to access the bios setup during boot, but you should be able to do a web search and find out for your machine. If you are lucky there will be a section on 'bios boot order'. You maybe able to put the CDROM ahead of the floppy and hard disk to boot from CD if one is inserted before it tries the hard disk. I've got most of mine set that way so I can override the hard disk by inserting a CD.

High_Treason
March 16th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Another disk image you can use was posted earlier in the linked thread too (here) (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?41686-Windows-95-98-Boot-disc&p=316378#post316378) - just as an option. Disk contains the ability to select hard drives, floppies and even some network cards to boot from as well as including memtest and a few other utilities.