PDA

View Full Version : IBM PS/2 Advise

Moonferret
March 16th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Hi Folks!

Just picked up a nice collection of IBM PS/2 and need a little advise & help.

1 - Model 30 - Original 8086 model. Currently has a single 720k floppy but no hard drive. I assume I can fit an XT-IDE board into this? Machine is actually labelled as ES/9370 Processor Console.

2 - Model 50 - Basic spec box with 2x 1.44 floppy drives (One not working), 1Mb RAM and a knackered hard drive. Unit is in really nice condition. What are my options for fitting a new hard drive to this box? SCSI?

3 - Model 60 - 1Mb RAM, 40Mb hard drive (Working but with bad blocks. Have tried a LL format). Again, if I wanted to change the hard drive, I assume SCSI would be the way to go? This box is fitted with 5x MCA Baseband cards (PN 96x5630) are these any use these days or is it best to just pull them?

I also picked up a 12" monochrome monitor and model M keyboard which go with the model 30. These are my first proper PS/2 machines and it would seem I almost got the complete set of 1st generation machines :)

Cheers,
Dave

SpidersWeb
March 16th, 2014, 02:28 PM
For the Model 30 8086 - XT IDE sounds like a good plan - being ISA makes things easier.

For the other two, if I couldn't find replacement drives (not easy) I'd be looking for MCA SCSI adapters as you suggested - not sure how easy they are to find though. (Edit: quick look an ebay, and there seems to be a few, and they're not one million dollars either).

Maverick1978
March 16th, 2014, 03:51 PM
XT-IDE in the Model 30 (any of the variants will work fine as well).

SCSI for the other computers. MCA SCSI cards are easy and relatively cheap to find, as are SCSI drives. A few months ago, I picked up a NOS 4gb 3.5" 50-pin SCSI drive for $11 shipped. I've seen others listed at thost same price points since... just exercies a bit of patience and search around. You'll find what you're looking for.

RWallmow
March 17th, 2014, 09:34 AM
XT-IDE in the Model 30 (any of the variants will work fine as well).

SCSI for the other computers. MCA SCSI cards are easy and relatively cheap to find, as are SCSI drives. A few months ago, I picked up a NOS 4gb 3.5" 50-pin SCSI drive for $11 shipped. I've seen others listed at thost same price points since... just exercies a bit of patience and search around. You'll find what you're looking for.
Agreed, I used a XT-IDE in my Model 25 (http://www.acrpc.net/ibm-ps2-model-25-8525/) for a while (more or less same as 30, but with CRT built in).
HOWEVER, I removed it and went with a SCSI card and SCSI HD instead, gives me more expandability options like CD-ROMs, ZIP/JAZ drives, external hard drives, etc...

Moonferret
March 17th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've actually got one of James' ISA CF boards spare so I'll drop that into the Model 30 and I'll try to pick up a pair of SCSI boards for the other two. Does anybody have any suggestions for powering the drive in the Model 50?

I've always liked the look of the Model 25 but I assume they were never sold in the UK as I've never seen one over here.