PDA

View Full Version : ZX81 replacement keyboards

gimgim
March 19th, 2014, 04:00 PM
I have two ZX81 (one PAL - IT and one NTCS - US version) and both have bad keyboards.
Any source for inexpensive replacements?

Thanks

OS9dude
March 27th, 2014, 04:50 AM
Any source for inexpensive replacements?

My ZX-81 came to me with a keyboard problem - some keys did not register. Instead of trying to repair the broken membrane trace I decided to try and get a replacement, found one on Ebay and the keyboards they're selling are new manufacture runs with improved mechanical quality on the membrane to make it less likely to break because of the extreme bend it is subject to when installed. The seller is in the UK and the keyboards sell at GBP 11.00 (about US$18.00) plus the shipping to your location. Can't call that inexpensive as it more or less represents at times half of what you can get a still working ZX-81 from some places, but in the end you will have a fully working keyboard on the computer.

Search for 'zx-81 keyboard' on ebay, seller should come up top of the list of results.

-- RP

vwestlife
March 27th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Usually the keyboard itself is fine -- it's the thin ribbon cable going from the keyboard to the computer's circuit board that cracks due to stress and age and loses contact on some of the traces. The solution is to cut off the cable at the point before the crack and then carefully reinsert it into the socket (and I do stress *carefully* because if you use too much force, you'll just crack it again!).