PDA

View Full Version : Atari TT030 HDD installation

jltursan
March 22nd, 2014, 05:24 AM
Recently I've been trying to install a new SCSI disk into my TT (TOS 3.06), a 3.2GB Quantum Fireball. I've been using both IDC Boot Pro (6.5.5) and HDDriver (7.8) tools without success.
The SCSI is terminated and identified as ID#0; HDDriver doens't even recognize the drive, ICD seems to work fine; but after partitioning, formatting the disk and installing the boot into C: partition, the HDD doesn't boot at all. I always need to use the ICD floppy to load the ICDBOOT.PRG needed to initialize the driver.

The partitioning schema is:
C: - 16MB - GEM - Active
D: - 512MB - BGM - Active
E: - 512MB - BGM - Active
and so on...

Does anyone knows if there're some SCSI HDD unable to boot or showing incompatiblities?

g4ugm
March 22nd, 2014, 03:32 PM
Many many many many SCSI disks don't work with the TT.. I have found the termination problematic, try without. Also check the if the drive has disable parity.....

... might be worth checking on on of the dedicated Atari boards...

jltursan
March 23rd, 2014, 11:52 PM
Thanks!

So seems that it must be partially incompatible. It's a shame as it only lacks booting. Once the machine starts from floppy, I can browse the partitions content :-(

About the HDD is pretty simple, I've tried without termination and it's not detected. The only other jumpers I can see are from SCSI ID#, no other fancy options (RMT, DLY, parity, etc.) :-P

I think I've another SCSI disk a little bit older than this one. I'll try with it.

g4ugm
March 24th, 2014, 03:12 PM
If you get really stuck I am sure I can find something that works and send it to you....

jltursan
March 25th, 2014, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the kind offer!. I'll try first with the last one of my old SCSI disks and see if it works.

The machine has already a 500MB SCSI disk that works fine, I was just trying to upgrade it with a bigger and faster drive (1GB and above); so I don't really have any other special needs.
I've some other SCSI disks; but all of them have much bigger sizes and later connectors, not compatible with the old fashioned SCSI 50 pin :-(. If you can get some profit of them, I can swap with you one of the modern drives for a TT compatible.