PDA

View Full Version : Imitating ISP's to use old internet software

DOS lives on!!
March 23rd, 2014, 11:00 AM
I got this idea when I received a large amount of old internet software disks. Most internet access programs back in the day (AOL, CompuServe, Prodigy....) connected to that ISP's specific server and that server only. Fast forward 15 years, and those companies (much less dial-up) do not exist anymore. Thus, those programs won't connect to anything. I created a dial-up server a while back to let my old laptops connect through the server's modem-to-ethernet bridged connection. Now I'm wondering if it is possible to create something to trick the old internet programs into thinking that thy are connecting to the actual ISP through the modem, but actually connected to a bridged connection? That would allow these old programs to function again using ethernet.

High_Treason
March 23rd, 2014, 11:08 AM
I don't know, but last time I tried AOL 2.5 For Windows still logged on using the Ethernet connection without need for emulating dial-up or anything, I guess the server address and authentication have not changed.

For other ISPs where that isn't possible, I suppose you'd have to completely emulate their configuration on a server somewhere, doesn't sound like an easy task. There's a fairly good chance you'd have to play with forward lookups or the HOSTS file to lie about DNS as well.

- Small bit of trivia; The ISP in my city still offers and maintains several dial-up services, I wasn't aware that this was uncommon in this day and age. I used it as a fail-over for some time due to an intermittent ADSL service.