PDA

View Full Version : My IBM_XT har arrived! but need help!

cruising
March 24th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Everything worked fine when i first tested it to see if the screen was ok after shipping, and it was.

I checked the HD and also the HD works perfect, its a half height one 10 mb. Some cards that i has no idea what it is, seams like 3 cards has exactly the same port on them... why that would be any good?

So here is what i need help with, the floppy, it didnt read any floppys, i get an error " Sector not found error reading A" on ALL floppys, but 3 times it did read 1 floppy and could type "dir" after that the drive lost it all and got the same error message again.

So, what could i do to fix this? any ideas what could be wrong with it? do i need a "new" one? At least it tries to read and when i boot up i see it checking for disk and lights up red.
i have also cleaned it with a cleaning disk that came with the pc with no success.

I hope i have explained this so you understand?

modem7
March 25th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Some cards that i has no idea what it is,
We may be able to determine the function from photos of the cards.

seams like 3 cards has exactly the same port on them... why that would be any good?
The same connector.
Example: Three female DB25 connectors may be three parallel ports (such as may be used by a print server).

So here is what i need help with, the floppy, it didnt read any floppys, i get an error " Sector not found error reading A" on ALL floppys, but 3 times it did read 1 floppy and could type "dir" after that the drive lost it all and got the same error message again.
So, what could i do to fix this? any ideas what could be wrong with it? do i need a "new" one? At least it tries to read and when i boot up i see it checking for disk and lights up red. i have also cleaned it with a cleaning disk that came with the pc with no success.
I suggest that the next thing you try is the action described in the 'Deteriorated lubrication in floppy disk drive' section at [here (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5160/problems/5160_known_problems_issues.htm)]

krebizfan
March 25th, 2014, 02:59 PM
What is the pin count on the ports that look the same and are the ports male or female? 9-pin could be video or serial or mouse; 25-pin could be serial or parallel or even SCSI; and there is also a possibility of a 37-pin external floppy. Some video cards also had parallel ports; some memory expansion cards included either serial or parallel or both. So you may have excess ports just because it was cheaper.

cruising
March 25th, 2014, 03:51 PM
We may be able to determine the function from photos of the cards.

The same connector.
Example: Three female DB25 connectors may be three parallel ports (such as may be used by a print server).

I suggest that the next thing you try is the action described in the 'Deteriorated lubrication in floppy disk drive' section at [here (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5160/problems/5160_known_problems_issues.htm)]

I will try that!
And i also tried to format one unused floppy, failed ofc...but what i then saw was tiny scratches on the whole disks surface, maybe it is the reading head that is damaged?

cruising
March 26th, 2014, 06:56 AM
What is the pin count on the ports that look the same and are the ports male or female? 9-pin could be video or serial or mouse; 25-pin could be serial or parallel or even SCSI; and there is also a possibility of a 37-pin external floppy. Some video cards also had parallel ports; some memory expansion cards included either serial or parallel or both. So you may have excess ports just because it was cheaper.

All 3 cards have 25 pins (male), so i guess its just that the cards was built with these and not just simply 3 serial cards, bc that would not make sense, if you aint need it for plenty of peripherals like printer, ex floppy etc at same time.

ill take some photos of the actually cards when i have time and post it here.

cruising
March 31st, 2014, 10:33 PM
Here comes the pictures i was about to take on my XT.

Overview of the XT

The back of the XT

The memory card, what good does that battery do? real time clock? is is safe to remove it and put a new one in?

Parallel card

cruising
March 31st, 2014, 10:42 PM
Graphics card CGA

Unknown functional of this card (25 pin male)

Async card, doing what?

Unknown brand of HDD

modem7
March 31st, 2014, 11:38 PM
The memory card,
More than that.
The AST SixPakPlus provides the functionality of: 1. Extra RAM, 2. Real time clock (RTC), 3. Parallel port, 4. Serial port, 5. Game port

what good does that battery do? real time clock?
Yes. It provides power to the card's RTC chip when the 5160 is powered off.

is is safe to remove it and put a new one in?
Yes.

Async card, doing what?
Provides one serial port. More information about this card is [here (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5150_5160/cards/5150_5160_cards.htm#ac_adapter)].

Unknown functional of this card (25 pin male)
The Internet reveals that the AST model CC-432 is an "8 Bit ISA Remote Emulation Card".

Unknown brand of HDD
Seagate model ST-212

cruising
April 1st, 2014, 12:51 AM
More than that.
The AST SixPakPlus provides the functionality of: 1. Extra RAM, 2. Real time clock (RTC), 3. Parallel port, 4. Serial port, 5. Game port

Thanks for your answer!
Is parallel-serial-gameport all on same port? the gray flat cable? bc that one has a bracket with a port in it.

The Internet reveals that the AST model CC-432 is an "8 Bit ISA Remote Emulation Card".
What exactly does remote emulator card means and do?

deathshadow
April 1st, 2014, 02:06 AM
What exactly does remote emulator card means and do?
That card is designed to emulate a NETBIOS type network card over RS-432. Typically it was used to connect two proprietary high speed RS-432 modems to create a WAN over dialup, though I have seen them used with a crossover cable for short runs between buildings.

You usually don't see a lot of RS-432 outside a few "high end" 68K macs. 432 was basically 232 and 422 on the same cable, and able to do 232-style coms at higher speeds... well, faster or you could run it farther at lower speeds. Basically 432 was a 232 connector that was compatible to both standards (in theory... in practice.. not so much)

modem7
April 1st, 2014, 02:54 AM
Is parallel-serial-gameport all on same port? the gray flat cable? bc that one has a bracket with a port in it.
No.
The connector (25-pin male) for the serial port is on the card's mounting bracket.
The connector (25-pin female) on the grey cable is for the card's parallel port.
On the card is a header for the game port. One would buy a special cable to plug into that header.