PDA

View Full Version : Diskcopy failed with external usb 1.44 floppy disk drive

skouris33
March 26th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Hi, recently I bought an external usb floppy disk drive to use with my windows 8 laptop. Unfortunately whenever I try to diskcopy from a: to a: with windows 8 it says diskcopy failed. Is there a problem with the drive or is it incompatibility issue? Thanks (when I drag and draw files it seems to work fine)

MikeModifed
March 26th, 2014, 02:50 PM
I just went to the command prompt and successfully did a diskcopy a: a: using a Toshiba PA3109U-1FDD on my Win8.1 tablet. Before I bought the Toshiba from the auction site, I had purchased a cheap Chinese USB-FDD locally that was nothing but trouble; it went to Goodwill.

Mike

skouris33
March 26th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Mine is a cheap Chinese one, so I guess this is the reason why

Stone
March 26th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Try using a target disk thet you have already formatted successfully. By that I mean one that shows no bad sectors after formatting. A diskcopy will always fail to a flawed target disk (or from an imperfect source disk). You need to have perfect media on both ends.

skouris33
March 26th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I already tried that, both disks are perfect with no bad sectors

krebizfan
March 26th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Anything unusual with the disk format or is it the typical 1.44MB? Any problems with reading diskettes when not copying? Are you going through a external hub? Have you tried a different USB port? Do you hear random bonging noise suggesting USB devices are disconnecting?

Just the usual things to check. Depending on the model of Chinese floppy, you might be able to open the shell and double check the connections were correctly soldered. Sometimes, QC suffers in the pursuit of getting it too cheap.

skouris33
March 26th, 2014, 05:03 PM
I just installed the driver on my windows 98 PC, connected the usb floppy and tried to diskcopy a disk, and it did it! So it must be a compatibility driver issue with windows 8. Is there a way to install the driver of the cd rom that drive came with on windows 8? Thanks

skouris33
March 26th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Sorry for not replying earlier but my cd rom was faulty and I had to change it with a spare one in order to read the driver cd

krebizfan
March 26th, 2014, 07:38 PM
I just installed the driver on my windows 98 PC, connected the usb floppy and tried to diskcopy a disk, and it did it! So it must be a compatibility driver issue with windows 8. Is there a way to install the driver of the cd rom that drive came with on windows 8? Thanks

I would not assume that there is a driver compatibility issue with Windows 8 unless the floppy drive is very old. Drives manufactured over the last decade are supposed to work with the USB Floppy standard which Win 8 (and back down to XP) includes driver support for.

You could try to see if there is a Win 8 driver on the disc. Most Win 8 devices I looked at have a driver tab in their property dialog. Hit the driver tab and press the update driver button and see if Win8 will use the drivers on the CD.