PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Tecra 8000 and 8100 help needed

Gribnitz
March 27th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Hi, I picked up a Toshiba Tecra 8000 and 8100 the other day and can't get either to boot properly. The 8000 is the most likely to be brought back to life I think. It will boot and the screen displays, but I can't get it to read WIN 98 SP off the CD to properly re-install. It worked once I should say. It allowed me to re-install 98 until the reboot was required at the end of installation. I rebooted the computer and it now says NO SYSTEM DISK PRESENT. I bought a new CD drive for it thinking the laser was having issues and get the same thing. Any ideas?

TNC
March 28th, 2014, 03:28 AM
Have you tried to reseat the hdd caddy? I found it to be flakey when not fully pushed in.

Doug G
March 28th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Have you tried without the battery installed? I had a tecra 8000 for years, and it eventually failed with "maximum flakeyness" due to a burned connector from the battery power board to the mb. When I turned it in to an 8100 under warranty, the guy at the warranty center said it wasn't an uncommon problem with units that ran mostly on ac but with the battery plugged in.

Gribnitz
March 28th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Have you tried without the battery installed? I had a tecra 8000 for years, and it eventually failed with "maximum flakeyness" due to a burned connector from the battery power board to the mb. When I turned it in to an 8100 under warranty, the guy at the warranty center said it wasn't an uncommon problem with units that ran mostly on ac but with the battery plugged in.

No, I will try that though. I did notice that when the battery is completely dead (it does hold somewhat of a charge), it will allow me to try and re-install WIN98 again. If the battery has a charge, I get that NO SYSTEM DISK PRESENT error. I didn't think of pulling the battery off and trying it that way.

Gribnitz
March 29th, 2014, 08:13 AM
No. Didn't work. What it says is "INSERT SYSTEM DISK PRESS ANY KEY WHEN READY". I have tried WIN95, WIN98 and WIN98SE with no luck. How do you get into CMOS on this TECRA? Maybe I will set it so it boots to CD first to see how that goes.

Gribnitz
March 29th, 2014, 08:18 AM
May as well mention my 8100 issues here as well. The 8100 would not display anything on the screen. I discovered it didn't have any memory installed, so ordered s Kingston 256MB stick and installed it. Still no display. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this one?

Doug G
March 29th, 2014, 09:07 AM
How do you get into CMOS on this TECRA?Seems to me I used to bang on esc and F1, or esc+F1 together.

Gribnitz
March 29th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Seems to me I used to bang on esc and F1, or esc+F1 together.

Thank you. Got it working. I made the CD drive the first to check and got it to install. Downloading drivers for the Tecra 8000 now to get it back to original.

Gribnitz
April 1st, 2014, 02:50 PM
Believe or not, I picked up a second Toshiba Tecra 8000 a few days later from another person clearing out their old PC's. The first one had a brand new, blank hard drive so once I figured out I had to force it to read the CD ROM first in BIOS getting it formatted and working was easy. This new one already has WIN 98 on it. How can I do a fresh install? It doesn't have a disk drive so I can use a boot disk and it and won't let me over right WIN98 with WIN98.

Sleepwalker3
April 1st, 2014, 03:23 PM
Not sure about that model, but many of them had a hidden 'Recovery Partition' that could basically load an image of the original OEM setup (wiping everything else). Can't say how to get into the recovery partition (if you have one), but there is usually some selection somewhere (perhaps in BIOS?) When you say it doesn't have a disk drive, presumably you are saying no CD, or did you mean no floppy, or both? If you have no CD and no floppy, perhaps you can tell BIOS to boot from USB? If so, you can make a Bootable USB stick with say one of the good Linux rescue CD's (loaded onto USB instead) and could wipe the HDD from there. If none of the above is practical, then remove the HDD, fit it to the other (working) machine and do the same as you did with the first, after first wiping the HDD (assuming you don't want anything off it). Alternatively you could image the good machine and load that image onto the HDD of this machine. If you Image first before doing anything, then you can always go back. Hope that helps.

Gribnitz
April 1st, 2014, 05:54 PM
When you say it doesn't have a disk drive, presumably you are saying no CD, or did you mean no floppy, or both?

It has a CD drive, but no floppy drive. When I try to format or re-install it won't let me because I am trying to re-install WIN98 and it tells me WIN98 is already on the drive. I can't format C: from MSDOS prompt because it tells me drive C is in use.

Sleepwalker3
April 2nd, 2014, 07:21 AM
I'm not completely clear on why you want to reinstall Win98, maybe you want a clean slate with just Win98, perhaps you have system problems. If you want the clean slate, then I'd look towards the recovery partition. If you have problems, then I'd suggest maybe trying the Win98 System Repair util first. If it were me I'd likely boot from a Linux Rescue CD or USB, format and then reinstall 98. Another alternative if you are more a DOS person is to just edit things so it boots to DOS instead of Windows - I had my old Win98 system as Mutliboot, but you likely don't need that. If you then want Win, just type Win on the command line.

It's something like editing MSDOS.SYS (make a copy first, just in case) and change BootGUI=0 that will make it boot to DOS instead. Once in DOS you could then perhaps hide Windows stuff by changing the Windows directory name to WindowsOld or something (or delete the lot if you are sure you don't want it). I think that would probably work, then you could boot from your Win98 install CD and install away, deleting any old stuff once everything is fine.
I seem to recall there was a way to force an install to overwrite, but I can't recall exactly how.

Doug G
April 2nd, 2014, 03:50 PM
The tecra 8000 didn't have any restore partition.

I seem to recall there was a way to force an install to overwrite, but I can't recall exactly how.ditto.

Somewhere around here I have my T8000 user guide and original disks, if I can find them I'll see if there is any useful info to pass along.

EDIT: I found some old toshiba bulletins I'd printed, and found a link to one that describes installing w98 on a w95 t8000. Maybe there are some clues in it. There are a lot of other t8000 support notes that are probably still online somewhere, I will look over some of the others\ printed copies I have.

http://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=108471