PDA

View Full Version : Network Industrie NT970 ... What the heck is it?

Roland Huisman
March 28th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Okay, I'm sure it's not for Curling... But what is it?

My first thought, a calculator. But I think it's not...
It seems to have simple calculator functions, but as a second option?
There is a motherboard having 3* 2716 eproms and a 8085 cpu.

It has some optical card reader (which was disconnected when I opened it.)
There are also 2 pins missing of the connector for this optical reader.

It -had- some nicad batteries in it which I've removed. It caused some oxidation
resulting in a not working processor board. It displayed all zero's.

Now I can enter some numbers. If I enter a number it comes at the left of the display.
At the right side appears a B.

You can clear the number on the left with the F key. Then a B appears at the right.

18005 18006 18007 18008 18009

Roland Huisman
March 28th, 2014, 03:28 PM
On top of the CPU board is a PCB which I can remove. This doen't seem to
change the key functions. This board has also an extra small connector.
So it might be an interfacing board... And on the bottom of the thing is also
an extra cable output. But no extra cable. This might be removed once...

18010 18011

I've bought the thing because I was very curious about this thing...

But now I have it, I still don't know that it is...

I hope someone knows it here...

Regards, Roland

barythrin
March 28th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Pretty interesting. I'm not sure either but it certainly does have all the calculator buttons underneath the function(?) buttons. Does it do anything if you did a simple math question then hit the enter key?

barythrin
March 28th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Does that say something about "administration of PTT"? Perhaps it's a telecom device? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postes,_t%C3%A9l%C3%A9graphes_et_t%C3%A9l%C3%A9pho nes_%28France%29)

gslick
March 28th, 2014, 05:12 PM
If you can't figure out anything interesting to do with this device as is, if nothing else the load of HP 5082-7340 hexadecimal displays (or 5082-7300 / 5082-7302 decimal displays) would be nice to salvage for some other projects.

Can't find any useful information on the CERMETEK CH1263 / CH1268 devices to give more clues about the possible functions of the device.

Ole Juul
March 28th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Telecommunications do come to mind. Post on one of the phone tech forums perhaps.

kyeakel
March 28th, 2014, 08:33 PM
I see the following on the bottom: STE Network, so maybe it's secure terminal equipment? Does the slot on the top appear to accept a PCMCIA type card? If so, it's a type of crypto used for secure business communications.

Kipp

g4ugm
March 29th, 2014, 01:36 AM
Could be lots of things. It looks nicely designed so I would have thought somewhere public. Card Slot so updating cards. Card slots look too small for Hotel Room keys or cash cards. So some sort of time system with cards, cashless vending, security tags, locker keys...

Ole Juul
March 29th, 2014, 02:50 AM
Those are really creative suggestions Dave. We'll get there! I'm shocked that Chuck(G) hasn't nailed it yet. He usually does once he sees the chip numbers. :)

Chuck(G)
March 29th, 2014, 08:10 AM
You're shocked because this post never showed up on my "New Posts" listing. I don't know why.

I can't say much about this thing. The small board with the Cermetek ICs is certainly a modem--but the interesting thing is the IC with the labeling buffed off--almost certainly an anti-piracy measure. About all I can say is that it appears to be a terminal of some sort, could be part of a security system. The EPROM content may lend better identification.

Roland Huisman
March 29th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Hello all,

Thanks for the suggestions. It did also cross my mind about the top PCB being a modem.
But that was because of the somewhat high voltage capacitors and the metal toroidal transformer.

The wiped chip is a very thick one like an RTC with batteries in it... So maybe it is one.

18025 18024

I will read the eproms soon and post the files here...

Oh, and it can do another trick, but I don't know how I did it. Just playing with some keys.

Regards, Roland

luvit
March 29th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Roland, this is (http://www.ebay.com/itm/TELEPHONE-CALCUL-DUSINE-ptt-1980-retro-vintage-loft-usine-deco-resaumatique-/290914046320?pt=JG_FR_Auto_Pi%C3%A8ces&hash=item43bbd41170) some form of French or Catalan.
Can you read it?

Chuck(G)
March 29th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Looking at the bottom of the unit, notice the empty grommet.

I suspect that this went to a standard telephone set. Given the color and style of this thing, I suspect that this may have been nothing more than a unit to control and meter telephone/long distance access. Put in your card, perhaps enter a pass code, then make your call. Billing information on the card.

I don't think that this was a piece of industrial kit--such things tend not to have much in the way of aesthetics.

FunctionalLimits
March 29th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Roland, this is (http://www.ebay.com/itm/TELEPHONE-CALCUL-DUSINE-ptt-1980-retro-vintage-loft-usine-deco-resaumatique-/290914046320?pt=JG_FR_Auto_Pi%C3%A8ces&hash=item43bbd41170) some form of French or Catalan.
Can you read it?

It's French, and it just says it's a phone/calculator from a factory. The description says it's a Resaumatique device. There's not much information to be found on Resaumatique other than that it is/was part of a consortium of companies called SmartTracing (www.smart-tracing.com), which provides RFID tracking solutions. Resaumatique's own URL (www.resaumatique.fr) is a dead link, but according to the SmartTracing site, the company is/was a manufacturer of RFID and bar-code tracking devices and systems. So, as has already been noted, this thing appears to be a terminal that was part of some kind of tracking system.

BTW, "Reseaumatique" is from "reseau," the word for network.

NeXT
March 29th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Looking at the bottom of the unit, notice the empty grommet.

I suspect that this went to a standard telephone set. Given the color and style of this thing, I suspect that this may have been nothing more than a unit to control and meter telephone/long distance access. Put in your card, perhaps enter a pass code, then make your call. Billing information on the card.

I don't think that this was a piece of industrial kit--such things tend not to have much in the way of aesthetics.

Looking at the ebay listing I can definately see a french telephone jack so it will indeed be a telephone device.

luvit
March 29th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Looking at the ebay listing I can definately see a french telephone jack so it will indeed be a telephone device.
actually, that's the 220v power connector.. Europe uses 220v 50Hz as standard power source.
http://www.110220volts.com/Merchant2/plugs/type/typeEplug.jpg

Roland Huisman
March 30th, 2014, 01:26 AM
@ luvit

Hey wow, I didn't see that one. Thanks!

@ NexT

It does seem to have a Frensch telephone plug indeed!
I can't speak any French, google translate does, but then I still don't understand it.. :D

18045 18046

@ FunctionalLimits's

Thanks for your explanation and research!
So I think it seems to be completely useless nowdays I think.
I do wonder how the 'card' looks like which you can put in...

Really wonder what it does when I connect a modem by a PBX and talk to it.

I do also wonder about the card, will it be a single row of holes, or maybe
a card full of holes read by putting it in. It has 7 optical channels...

Regards, Roland

barythrin
March 31st, 2014, 08:39 AM
Resaumatique's own URL (www.resaumatique.fr) is a dead link

Site isn't on archive.org either :-( Alternatively that auction has the sellers email address. If they speak english perhaps they know more about it. lol although perhaps not since it's listed under "Auto: parts, accessories>Old car parts>Multi-brands: parts>Interior cabin"