PDA

View Full Version : new to atari 1040 stf, megafile 30 questions

oblivion
March 29th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Picked up an 1040stf as well as monitor and megafile 30 hdd. Few questions. When it boots I have 2 floppy drive icons on the desktop. A and B but I only have the 1 drive. Clicking A accesses the floppy fine. Just want to know if that's normal for both to be up there. Second I'm guessing the megafile drive is dead. When I have it connected I can't access it, no icon for it appears on the desktop and when its connected the floppy drive for whatever reason stops working and gives me an error if I try to access a disk.

geoffm3
March 31st, 2014, 05:55 AM
Picked up an 1040stf as well as monitor and megafile 30 hdd. Few questions. When it boots I have 2 floppy drive icons on the desktop. A and B but I only have the 1 drive. Clicking A accesses the floppy fine. Just want to know if that's normal for both to be up there. Second I'm guessing the megafile drive is dead. When I have it connected I can't access it, no icon for it appears on the desktop and when its connected the floppy drive for whatever reason stops working and gives me an error if I try to access a disk.

That is normal on a single disk drive system to have two floppy drives. It works similarly to how A: and B: work on a PC system with only one floppy. It allows addressing two floppies via disk swap in case you want to copy files and whatnot. When you have two drives attached then the second drive becomes B.

IIRC, the hard disk should show up as C-Z depending on how many partitions you have.

NeXT
March 31st, 2014, 06:52 AM
If the drive is either unitialized or corrupt you need the hard disk utilities floppy to load a device driver so you can see the volume and the utility to run a format and copy the driver over to the drive. It should then auto load the driver whenever the Megafile is detected at boot. The Megafile 30 is also an RLL device so It's either going to have one of Seagate's awful drives or Miniscribe's even worse pieces of junk.

g4ugm
March 31st, 2014, 07:04 AM
Sadly the MegaFiles had a combined ASCI/RLL interface card so unlike the SH series you can't replace the drive, except with another RLL drive, and I guess those are both expensive and rare...

jltursan
March 31st, 2014, 11:29 PM
Yep, if the megafile is giving you problems (try as suggested, loading the driver and waiting for it being detected) it can turn in a big headache. A much better solution can be a modern ACSI device like an UltraSatan.

oblivion
April 1st, 2014, 01:13 PM
Yep, if the megafile is giving you problems (try as suggested, loading the driver and waiting for it being detected) it can turn in a big headache. A much better solution can be a modern ACSI device like an UltraSatan.

yhea, I was looking at the ultrasatan. I don't know. looks like the drive is dead. I have the driver disk and its good but my megafile just isnt being detected. i'll play around with it some more but it doesn't look good. I like the look of the megafile with the computer itself. i'm wondering if I cant gut the case and just house the satandrive inside it to keep the old school original esthetics or would that be vintage pc sacralige?

charleschop
April 6th, 2014, 05:23 PM
id like to try to help , we can talk privatily if desired , sometimes old drives dont read for many reasons
i have some hard drive troubles too ......what i wouldnt do for a new scsi1 100mb drive ..but write back i know some about h.d's

nicolasmax666
April 27th, 2014, 08:23 PM
The megafile uses an RLL hard disk. They are really old, and unreliable.
You can't convert the megafile to IDE or SCSI.

I think your best choice is to use the case of megafile and put something newer there. Maybe an Ultrasatan or an ICD SCSI interface and a SCSI hard disk. And save the ASCI cable, the 19 pin connector isn't easy to pick! (and you need it for any of the solutions).

If you do this, and the ASCI/RLL controller is unused, can you sell this to me? just for science. :)

oblivion
April 29th, 2014, 12:35 PM
yhea, you can have the board no problem but I don't know when I may get around to doing this as its pretty low on my priority list. looks like something like the ultrasatin or a scsi setup that will fit in the mega case is probably going to run about $100ish and I have a lot of things a bit more pressing ATM.