PDA

View Full Version : What programs do you recomend for my xt?

cruising
March 29th, 2014, 12:28 PM
As the title says.

What program and why?

My system use:
DOS 3.20
576KB
Color screen
10MB HDD

And one other thing, when i plug in my backpacker external 1.44 floppy, does that drive become drive B?
I have not got the drive yet, so thats why i ask.

Stone
March 29th, 2014, 01:02 PM
I use Professional Write as it's one of the easiest and best word processors and it will run on any machine. It even runs from a floppy disk.

commodorejohn
March 29th, 2014, 01:29 PM
I use sled (http://www.wilmott.ca/sled.html) for a minimalist but well-designed text editor, it's much much lighter than MS-DOS EDIT, which is only barely usable on 8088 systems.

Also, don't forget ZZT!

modem7
March 29th, 2014, 01:36 PM
And one other thing, when i plug in my backpacker external 1.44 floppy, does that drive become drive B?
Along with plugging in the Backpack unit, you will be placing a DOS driver (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/transfer/35_inch/backpack_014350_dos_driver.htm) for it on your hard drive.
When you next power on the computer, the driver will load, and present some information on-screen; one of the bits of information being the drive letter that has been assigned.

sergey
March 29th, 2014, 02:01 PM
If you want to experiment with programing you can try Turbo C. I think it was available for free.
I am also a big fan of Volkov Commander. It is a lightweight Norton Commander - style file manager. If I am not mistaken it is a shareware, but the latest beta is available for free.

Edit: I forgot the "why" part:
Turbo C - Doesn't take much disk space, and runs fairly fast on an XT.
VC - Makes file manipulations much simpler and faster. Includes a file viewer (Including HEX) and simple file editor. Much faster than later bloated versions of Norton Commander, yet has most of its features.

cruising
March 29th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Thanks guys, i will check these out, more recommendations is welcome, also games like go-moku is welcome.
http://theodor.lauppert.ws/games/s/screen1/ascii/turbo-gomoku.png

SpidersWeb
March 30th, 2014, 12:39 AM
A very early version of Xtree (XTree 2.0 or similar, not Xtree Gold) - the old versions are tiny so wont use up too much disk space. Great file manager, commonly found on DOS machines.

Hatta
March 30th, 2014, 07:29 AM
4DOS is a much improved command interpreter. Smaller than command.com too, so you'll save memory. I think I use 3.03 on my XT clone, but I don't remember exactly.

SomeGuy
March 30th, 2014, 08:12 AM
I'll ditto the comment about Professional Write for word processing. It has a good built in spell checker.

For batch file editing or simple text editing, I would recommend Useful Editor (UED). Very small, and good block cut/copy/paste/delete/indenting.

If you want a pretty menu program when you start up, I would recommend Power Menu 4.11 from Brown Bag Software. It also has a nice built in file manager.

Also, since you will be trying to squeeze stuff on to a 10mb hard drive, you might want to look in to PKLite to compress executable files.

Ole Juul
March 30th, 2014, 04:51 PM
I'm not sure that a "word processor" is very useful on an XT. A more comprehensive editor may be a good personal choice though. I'd recommend NE for that. It has a very good spell checker built in. It's about 600K. Get it here (http://cgs.coalmont.net/ne.zip).

A spell checker can also be installed separately and that's what I do. Let me know if you are interested.

For file management, I prefer the command line. Sometimes I use DM (dirmagic) which is about 8K and makes a good file browser for general use and even e-mail. If you actually like to use a more menu oriented program, such as xtree, I recommend Dos Commander. It is a cleaned up clone of Norton Commander without the bugs. For a readme, get DC-TXT here (http://cgs.coalmont.net/dc-sk.txt). Get DC-SK.ZIP here (http://cgs.coalmont.net/dc-sk.zip).

As for "essential", I consider a command line (no mouse) cut/paste utility to be essential, and most certainly I would not think of foregoing the ability to auto complete commands with TAB.

Also, in a non-mouse environment I would be very uncomfortable without some cursor control since it would otherwise take a bit of time to move around. For that I use CRUISE.COM, which can be set to go as fast as you like and has good acceleration control as well as a few incidental extras such as ability to insert date and/or time into any document or command.

There are a lot of utilities for going directly to any directory on any drive without having to type anything other than the name. I use EDC.EXE, but there are lots that are much smaller.

Different strokes for different folks. My vintage style is based on a minimalistic philosophy and along the lines of being able to fit all software on a single 360K diskette if possible. Obviously that won't work with a well featured word processor such as WP 5.1 which would be my choice in that department, but is probably better on a 286 or above.

Unknown_K
March 30th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Back when I was in college they had 100's of PCs setup in the computer labs with dual 360K drives. We had to use our own programs on 5.25" disk and I recall using Professional Write, Energraphics (curve plotting and graphics) and maybe Lotus 123.

Xtree is useful for systems with a HD .

Rick Ethridge
March 30th, 2014, 08:02 PM
I used to run a program called quikmenu. The interface looks eerily like Windows 8.

Maverick1978
March 31st, 2014, 10:25 AM
I used Softkey Editor (SE.EXE) for my editor of choice. A bit heavy at 44kb, but it had features that I used constantly - such as ASCII charts and characters in tables that could be instantly accessed without having to memorize the chart and use ALT+xxx to generate the code.

I also used Microsoft Works v1.05, as it could easily fit in on a 360kb floppy (so long as you didn't need help files or extra printer drivers and the like), and GW-BASIC or QuickBASIC v4.5 were essentials as well.

Game-wise... my favorites were the Trek Trivia series from Apogee, the Kroz series, and any of the Sierra Quest series (Space Quest 1-3, Police Quest 1-2, King's Quest 1-4, Hero's Quest 1).

OH - and Nyet! A Tetris clone in 20k. Quite the nice little program it was.

Wormetti
March 31st, 2014, 06:13 PM
www.digger.org