PDA

View Full Version : Where to obtain Spinrite 4.0

RWIndiana
April 2nd, 2014, 07:26 AM
I'd like to find a copy of Spinrite 3.1 or 4.0. I didn't realize it would be so hard! I found v6.0 all over the Internet but I only intend to use it on old MFM drives, so I don't need a modern version. Anyone have any ideas?

Chuck(G)
April 2nd, 2014, 07:46 AM
Have you thought of writing Steve Gibson and asking him?

Stone
April 2nd, 2014, 07:52 AM
I have 2.0 and 3.1 but I think 2.0 is geared more to MFM/RLL drives than 3.1 is.

njroadfan
April 2nd, 2014, 08:09 AM
Spinrite 5.0 still works with XT machines and drives. It is available to owners of 6.0 free of charge.

Trixter
April 2nd, 2014, 11:19 AM
5.0 is the fastest of the versions compatible with MFM/RLL drives because it only uses two or three test patterns, so you want to use that instead of 4.0.

Also, keep in mind that Spinrite is 50% useful and 50% snake oil. I've owned three iterations of the product and I have found it genuinely useful for only one purpose: low-level formatting MFM drives to a faster interleave without requiring backup/restore of the data. (For example, my 5160 ST-225+controller came shipped with 6:1 but is actually capable of 4:1 which was a nice speedup.) A secondary benefit is locating bad sectors in the free areas of a disk before your data does. But that's about it... Don't expect spinrite to recover data, and under no circumstances have it "return good sectors to active use".

Stone
April 2nd, 2014, 11:57 AM
... Don't expect spinrite to recover data, and under no circumstances have it "return good sectors to active use".Since it doesn't claim to recover data why would you expect that from it? :-)

krebizfan
April 2nd, 2014, 12:02 PM
Since it doesn't claim to recover data why would you expect that from it? :-)

The review snippet on GRC's web page focuses on "Recover Unreadable Data" so it may not claim to but sure tries to imply it can.

rmay635703
April 2nd, 2014, 02:50 PM
If you just want old MFM spinrite why not just use the old one
http://vetusware.com/download/Spinrite-II%202.0/?id=8798

Also, I "may" have spinrite 4 somewhere, will have to look, I know I have a newish one (2005)

Also spinrite does mark bad sectors which is all its really good for anyway.

Trixter
April 2nd, 2014, 06:24 PM
Since it doesn't claim to recover data why would you expect that from it? :-)

That is precisely what Spinrite has always claimed from the beginning. I'm looking at the back of my Spinrite II package and seeing "Identifies, Diagnoses, and Repairs Every Form of Low-level Format and Data Damage".

Chuck(G)
April 2nd, 2014, 07:03 PM
Well, that was an exaggeration.

Spinrite doesn't have any peculiar capabilities beyond doing multiple reads on a bad sector, eventually resorting to a "read long" command. There may be a few controller-specific (i.e. not in the standard repertoire) commands, but beyond that, not much can really be done. A bad sector can be moved to another area; the track can be re-formatted to move things around a bit, but if the data's gone, it's gone.

Higher-level (i.e. structural) repairs are somewhat more straightforward. CHKDISK tries to do some of that, but it really seems to fail on severe cases and you wind up worse off than when you started.

That being said, Ontrack had some very cool products for non-DOS platforms such as Netware that have saved my bacon at one time or another.

RWIndiana
April 4th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Basically I use Spinrite on MFM/RLL drives that have "flaky" sectors that aren't marked bad by normal testing. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll see what I can come up with I guess. Or perhaps I'll just stick to 2.0. :)

sorphin
April 15th, 2014, 09:06 AM
I've used it to catch bad sectors that format wasnt' catching.. I made the mistake of using the 'return good sectors to normal use' once...... once... I've found it's not really much better than running surface scan in norton disk doctor... except, maybe it's a little more brutal on testing the sector and marking it bad, which i'd rather catch the flakey sector before i put data on it... I've also tried running that other disk test program.. it wont' re lowlevel my ST251-1 on the tandy using a WD1002-27X, yet spinrite has no problems. Basically, all it seems to be good for is sector stress testing, and on the newer versions, fancier ascii graphics. Although, some of the 'fixes' in versions later than II might apply, i.e. not having to go through all it's pretesting 20 times, etc.

natcha
April 16th, 2014, 02:00 PM
This thread reminded me that years ago, I used to help fellow ham radio enthusiasts install hard drives in their PC's I remember that each hard drive manufacturer would provide a disk to help install their drive. I thought I had saved copies of these disks and just did a search of my archives and find I had a text file with following info:

DISK UTILITIES

Disk Manager: DM330.ZIP Miniscribe Drives March 88
DM350.ZIP Seagate Drives Oct 88
DM400.ZIP Seagate Drives July 89
DM510.ZIP All Brands April 92

SpeedStor SSTOR500.ZIP Sept 87
SSTOR603.ZIP June 89

SpinRite II SPINRIT2.ZIP
SpinRite 3.1 SPINRIT3.ZIP

Check It CHECKIT.ZIP

Misc: SPEED.ZIP
SETUP.ZIP

So I probably have theses files somewhere. Not sure if any of these are what you are looking for. If I remember correctly, some of these will only work on the particular manufacturer's hard drive.

Bill
Smithville, NJ

MikeS
April 16th, 2014, 02:27 PM
...So I probably have theses files somewhere. Not sure if any of these are what you are looking for. Definitely worth looking for and making available if you find them; someone will surely thank you one day!

sorphin
April 17th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Hi Bill,

Definately post these somewhere if you can/when you find them. I see at least 2 (maybe more.. not sure which seagate to use with my ST251-1), and Spinrite 3.1.

This thread reminded me that years ago, I used to help fellow ham radio enthusiasts install hard drives in their PC's I remember that each hard drive manufacturer would provide a disk to help install their drive. I thought I had saved copies of these disks and just did a search of my archives and find I had a text file with following info:

DISK UTILITIES

SSTOR603.ZIP June 89

SpinRite II SPINRIT2.ZIP

Check It CHECKIT.ZIP

SETUP.ZIP

So I probably have theses files somewhere. Not sure if any of these are what you are looking for. If I remember correctly, some of these will only work on the particular manufacturer's hard drive.

Bill
Smithville, NJ

natcha
April 17th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Hi Bill,

Definately post these somewhere if you can/when you find them. I see at least 2 (maybe more.. not sure which seagate to use with my ST251-1), and Spinrite 3.1.

Okay, I've found the files. I'd be happy to send them to someone who has a location to post them.

I also found a file I downloaded from Seagates BBS in the early 90's. It has text files for all the Seagate drives of the early 90's. Each text file gives the data about the drive, cyl/hd/sectors and the jumper settings. These files are very useful if configuring an old drive on an xt/at computer. Seems to cover all the RLL, MFM and many other drives that Seagate made then.

Send me a PM if you are interested in these files. If would be nice if someone could host them.

Bill
Smithville, NJ

Stone
April 18th, 2014, 04:02 AM
You can post them on a file hosting service such as DropBox or another of your choice. They're free. :-)

sorphin
April 19th, 2014, 06:16 PM
You can post them on a file hosting service such as DropBox or another of your choice. They're free. :-)

What he said.. I tend to serve everything off of DropBox. (it's free, and you get a ton of space for that).

natcha
April 20th, 2014, 01:30 PM

I could. But I usually reserve Dropbox for sending a file to a specific user to grab with the link deleted in a set time frame. I do not see Dropbox as good as someone who places the files with a written description into a Web Page. The web Page is more easily discoverable by other users using Google.

Someone here has offered to place the files on his web page and I'll be sending them to him this week. I'll leave it to him to announce here after he has posted them.

Bill
Smithville, NJ

MikeS
April 20th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Thank you, and TIA to the yet-to-be-named host.

Stone
April 20th, 2014, 03:42 PM
... I usually reserve Dropbox for sending a file to a specific user to grab with the link deleted in a set time frame.Why? Files deposited on DropBox don't expire. There's no time limit. They remain available to anyone (and everyone) as long as you leave them there. Why do you place such arbitrary restrictions on a service that delivers with such global availability?

I do not see Dropbox as good as someone who places the files with a written description into a Web Page. The web Page is more easily discoverable by other users using Google.Really? You mean posting a direct d/l link here isn't as good as some webpage written by someone else in some other location? Sorry, but I don't see how that makes any logical sense at all.

Someone here has offered to place the files on his web page and I'll be sending them to him this week. I'll leave it to him to announce here after he has posted them.Gee, a middleman, what a great idea. :-) If you or I placed them on Dropbox they'd be available in 10 or 15 minutes, not sometime in the nebulous future.

natcha
April 20th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Reply to Stone,

Why? Files deposited on DropBox don't expire. There's no time limit. They remain available to anyone (and everyone) as long as you leave them there. Why do you place such arbitrary restrictions on a service that delivers with such global availability?

Because I choose to place at time limit. My DropBox account, my rules. Simple as that.

The more complicated reason is that I use DropBox for PRIVATE, PERSONAL uses. While it may seem like a lot of space, it is still a limited amount and I tend to have most of it used at any particular time. I end up deleting files quite often to make room for newer files that I need access to. I choose to not tie up space indefinitely for someone else who "might" want the file in the indefinite future.

Really? You mean posting a direct d/l link here isn't as good as some webpage written by someone else in some other location? Sorry, but I don't see how that makes any logical sense at all.

Actually, it's perfectly logical. Since I KNOW I will be deleting the files in a fairly short time frame, the download link will become invalid. And then we have problem of a download link that will become invalid in a permanent thread.

Gee, a middleman, what a great idea. If you or I placed them on Dropbox they'd be available in 10 or 15 minutes, not sometime in the nebulous future.

Let's see. I offered to send the files to anyone who requested them. One person did and I have personally sent the files to him - granted it wasn't 10-15 minutes, but still fairly fast. And .. Gee - No middleman was involved. I sent them personally. He said he would like to post them to his nice Website. But, obviously, I cannot assure that he actually does it. I hope he does.

If you wish to request the files, then PM me and I will personally send them to you also. Likewise anyone else who wants them. Again, no middleman involved. I don't guarantee 15-20 minute response, but they'll usually get them within a few days.

I have made the files available. What more do you want??

Bill
Smithville, NJ

Stone
April 20th, 2014, 06:12 PM
I have made the files available. What more do you want??Nothing more. I just thought it would be a lot less work to post them once for everyone who was interested. But if you'd rather go through and respond to individual requests on a one by one basis I surely don't want to keep you from that even though it doesn't sound all that interesting, productive or time efficient as you are describing it. Isn't that why we have computers? Don't we endeavor to use them for interesting projects, done productively and with efficiency? So I thought since everyone here at VCF seems to be comfortable with using a file host (in either direction) that it was a natural way to go. No need to re-invent the wheel unless you're out to re-invent it. :-)

modem7
April 20th, 2014, 07:25 PM
I too am guilty of not being productive nor time efficient. In support of this hobby, I should have:

* had my web site hosted at an ISP that offers better Internet-connected servers, instead of wasting people's time while they waited more than they could have for a free file download; and
* done a touch typing course, to improve my response time to queries; and
* posted this before I went to the toilet.

I am exaggerating of course, but this is a hobby (to most people) and it is important that we do not lose sight of that.

peter_j
April 20th, 2014, 08:14 PM
I don't want to get involved in the debate about the merits or demerits of Dropbox.

Natcha/Bill's files are up at:

http://www.retroprograms.com/misc/DiskUtil.ZIP

Thanks, Bill, for saving the old stuff! No doubt there are those who will find them useful. :)

anormal
April 26th, 2014, 01:53 AM
hi all, i don't usually write here, but wanted to give thanks to Bill for preserving this old stuff and to peter_j for sharing,
i have some old hardware and this will be very useful!
thanks all

offensive_Jerk
April 26th, 2014, 04:08 AM

DISK UTILITIES

SSTOR603.ZIP June 89

SpinRite II SPINRIT2.ZIP

Check It CHECKIT.ZIP

SETUP.ZIP

Bill
Smithville, NJ

In any case, Bill, thanks for taking the time to dig them up and making them available.