PDA

View Full Version : 3DFX patch for Virtual-On?

RaptorZX3
April 11th, 2014, 12:05 AM
i found myself a nice boxed retail copy of Virtual-On for PC (Sega PC, distributel by Expert Software, MMX required), and i was wondering if that game have native compatibility with 3DFX cards? or is there a patch for 3DFX? or maybe PowerVR?

k2x4b524[
April 11th, 2014, 09:09 PM
mmx required? that puts it smack dab in the middle of the pentium era, so i'd say yes. I'd look at the box though, the box should tell you what graphics boards are supported, even back then they told you what graphics you needed to run things,

RaptorZX3
April 11th, 2014, 10:38 PM
well i remember some games and ports of games supporting MMX, but not 3DFX cards.

I know there's a Power VR version of Virtual On released in Japan, but i think the game isn't made to work with 3DFX cards.

k2x4b524[
April 11th, 2014, 11:11 PM
If the box says it supports Glide, then it supports 3dfx in my experience, sometimes the box wont say, and you will have to try the game to find out for sure. I remember playing it in the arcades and the CD rendering was all software rendering, so i'm not too sure. Power VR is good, but Glide back then was king. 3dfx died far too early IMHO. Anyway, if the box doesn't specifically say, then the only way to find out is to look at the in game options. I might be wrong, researching the game dredges up memories that Virtual ON used primarily polygons and early directx for it's 3d as well.

RaptorZX3
April 11th, 2014, 11:28 PM
i remember Panzer Dragoon not having any 3D card choice, but able to be put in 1024x768, which looked way much better than on Sega Saturn!