PDA

View Full Version : seagate ST 225 hard drive from pc AT 286

artmarket2c
April 11th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Hi,

Can anyone refer me to someone who can connect an old seagate ST 225 hard drive from a clone PC AT 286 and get the data off. I think it is a 10 or 20 meg drive. I kept the drive and the cable but threw out the computer and now can't find the right controller to get the data off of the drive. I can give the drive to whoever wants it if they can get the data off.

A technician described the requirements as follows:

It looks like an MFM connection. The controller is difficult to find and the cables too. As well the controller will likely need
an ISA slot on the computer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton,

Mark
mjolles@pacbell.net
310-242-0660

wesleyfurr
April 13th, 2014, 03:48 PM
ST225 is a 20Mb MFM drive...assuming there is no R or N after it, which would indicate RLL or SCSI, etc.

I *should* be able to get the data off...assuming the drive parameters originally used match the standard for the drive...and assuming there are no other controller-related oddities. I worked with some MFM drives back in the day, but don't know that I ever moved a drive from one system to another.

And this is all assuming the drive is still in working order...though I would guess it to be a decent shot for that model at least.

WEsley

Stone
April 13th, 2014, 04:24 PM
If you don't have the same controller, i.e., same manufacturer and same revision that the drive was originally formatted with you won't have any success at all. Having the same drive paramaters won't help if the controllers are not a match. That's just the way MFM is.

SpidersWeb
April 13th, 2014, 05:10 PM
I've only had that issue with XT class controllers.

I'd need to do more testing to confirm, but I always thought by the AT era you could move them around.

(I could be completely wrong here, so correct me if I am, I just could've sworn that's the way it was)

Agent Orange
April 13th, 2014, 05:25 PM
If you don't have the same controller, i.e., same manufacturer and same revision that the drive was originally formatted with you won't have any success at all. Having the same drive paramaters won't help if the controllers are not a match. That's just the way MFM is.

IBM not with standing, the only MFM controllers that I ever remember using with the clones were Western Digital. So, if you're a betting man the odds are in his favor.

modem7
April 14th, 2014, 03:52 AM
If you don't have the same controller, i.e., same manufacturer and same revision that the drive was originally formatted with you won't have any success at all.
No, there is a certain amount of compatibility that exists. For example, all three versions of the controller supplied by IBM in the 5160 lay down the same low level format. I know that some of my many Longshine controllers lay down the same low level format. I expect that there are some Western Digital controllers that lay down the same low level format.