PDA

View Full Version : Problems loading my Windows 95A

agmqro1983
April 11th, 2014, 09:46 PM
I mistakenly copy some files from my Windows 7 to a Windows 95A hard drive and that made it unreadable. Donít want to reinstall the OS because the version it came with is a COMPAQ edition Windows, with special multimedia software (Itís a Presario 4170) and the multimedia buttons only work with its software. Iíve been unable to find the software to install in a new Windows 95A install so Iím searching for a way to recover the partition (the partition is detected by FDISK and is active, but I cannot access it from DOS, and using scan disk returns an error message indicating it canít read an NTFS (which Iím guessing it was a Windows 7 doing when I copy the files). FDISK can detect it as the FAT system, and is detected in the DOS type partition segment of the utility options.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time in reading this post hand hope there's a way I can run my original Windows install.

SpidersWeb
April 16th, 2014, 09:24 PM
I have no idea what you've done to it, but you might be in luck.

I restored a Presario 4780 a while back, and an ex-Compaq support member sent me an ISO image of the original install CD.
According to the forum post where he told me about it, it was called the '4170/4780 Boot Disk & CD'.

So if I can find it over the weekend, and if it is for your 4170 model too, then I'll try and put the image file up somewhere.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j307/DrRabid/presario_restore.jpg

agmqro1983
April 16th, 2014, 10:45 PM
That would be great! I hope is posible since I had no luck searching it on the web.

barythrin
April 17th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Just to confirm, you put the hard drive from the Compaq on to a Windows 7 machine? I've heard of newer versions of Windows updating the FAT partition or marking it in a way that's not compatible but that was usually just an issue for NTFS, not Fat16. You might try an fdisk /mbr to rewrite the master boot record and see if that does anything useful. Worst case scenario can you still read the files of that drive from the Windows 7 machine? That way you could at least back up all your files still before tinkering more.

agmqro1983
April 20th, 2014, 01:18 AM
I thought so too, but it turns out that it can hehe. It happened to me some time ago with another hard drive and never did it again ever since, but for some dumb reason I forget and made the mistake again.

Yes, I did made a backup of the hdd the day I got it, in fact the reason I added files to it, was because I made copies of the original Windows 95 installation. Compaq included a software to copy to 3.5Ē diskette of the factory install disk, but after making the copies it would delete the program. So I tested the diskettes but before starting the file copying the installation wizard gave and error message so I thought that maybe one of the disk didnít copy properly and decided to do it again, but for that I had to copy the application files back to the hdd.

I tried the fdisk /mbr but it doesnít give me that option, of course I use the FDISK version that comes with the Windows 95A boot disk. Thinking I will try with a later release of the program, and let you know if it worked. Thanks for the advice.