PDA

View Full Version : Software I found;

barryp
April 14th, 2014, 10:23 AM
I have found the following in a junk box:

Microsoft Windows/286 version 2.1 a set of 7 3" 720KB disks.
Microsoft Windows/386 version 2.1 a set of 7 3" 720KB disks.
Microsoft Excel for Windows version 2.1 a set of 5 3" 720KB disks.

IBM Personal System/2 Personal productivity Programs disk - 1 3" 720KB disk.
IBM Personal System/2 Entertainment Programs disk - 1 3" 720KB disk.
IBM Personal System/2 Education Programs disk - 1 3" 720KB disk.

AND, 5 3" 720KB disks that might not all belong together and might not be a complete set, all labeled Microsoft Word;
Learning Microsoft Word and Advanced Lessons for Keyboard and Mouse disk 2.
Conversions/Drivers Learning Microsoft Word and Advanced Lessons for Keyboard and Mouse.
Microsoft Word Printer
Microsoft Word Network Version Utilities/Setup and Microsoft Spell
Microsoft Word Network Version Program and Thesaurus.

I'm inclined to reformat and reuse the disks unless someone wants them...

SpidersWeb
April 14th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Awesome find!
Please don't reformat, originals are very hard to find, especially Windows 2 and those PS/2 disks.

I'd love them, but I figure you probably want someone more local.

krebizfan
April 14th, 2014, 11:50 AM
The MS Word disks are for a DOS version; I think MS Word 4. Don't go discarding that one either. The network install disks were relatively rare and probably of interest to those that collect original disks.

Stone
April 14th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Spider, those < 20 disks can be shipped to NZ for < $20 so it's not all that expensive.

SomeGuy
April 14th, 2014, 01:22 PM
I see disks like that sell for quite a bit on eBay all the time. People seem to love any early disks with "Microsoft" on them.

Sell those and buy a few boxes of blank floppies. :cool:

SpidersWeb
April 14th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I'll gladly pay postage! (if OP doesn't want to sell them)

wesleyfurr
April 15th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I would be interested as well...could trade for other 720K 3.5" disks...and pay shipping both ways or include extra disks or something. Mainly interested in the old Windows versions...

Wesley

barryp
April 17th, 2014, 01:08 PM
I think I'll list them on eBay to see if there might be as much interest as y'all seem to think. I don't want to get rich, but...

barythrin
April 17th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Certainly understandable. Post the link(s) here so we can follow along and perhaps a few folks will bid. :-)

SpidersWeb
April 17th, 2014, 03:58 PM
I think I'll list them on eBay to see if there might be as much interest as y'all seem to think. I don't want to get rich, but...

Good plan :) That way you know you'll get a fair value.

barryp
April 17th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Certainly understandable. Post the link(s) here so we can follow along and perhaps a few folks will bid. :-)

I'm user barryp (consistent, aren't I?)

g4ugm
April 18th, 2014, 01:31 AM
Yes, but you have listed as only shipping to the USA. All the interest on here has been from outside the USA

SomeGuy
April 18th, 2014, 03:56 AM
The title on the word disks is wrong:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Word-NOT-for-Windows-Version-2-1-FIVE-3-5-disks-/191140205790
It should state version 4.0, not 2.1. I assume the versions and copyright dates are printed on the back? You might want to include a photo of that.

barryp
April 18th, 2014, 07:56 AM
The title on the word disks is wrong:

Yes, I had noticed that and changed it to 4.

My days are a bit hectic lately and I'm not very good at eBay.

barryp
April 18th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Yes, but you have listed as only shipping to the USA. All the interest on here has been from outside the USA

My thinking was that international USPS is far too expensive.

Stone
April 18th, 2014, 08:07 AM
My thinking was that international USPS is far too expensive.Shipping to Europe, e.g., UK or Germany would run ~ $10.00.

Since you're not paying for the shipping why does it even matter how much it is? If a foreign buyer wants it he is prepared to pay the listed shipping cost.

Ozfer
April 18th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Lol I wouldn't mind having them either :cool:

Ole Juul
April 18th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Shipping to Europe, e.g., UK or Germany would run ~ $10.00.

Since you're not paying for the shipping why does it even matter how much it is? If a foreign buyer wants it he is prepared to pay the listed shipping cost.

If baryp did this on purpose then he definitely owes an apology because the first person who replied, and who seemingly wanted this badly, would be left out. On the other hand, baryp did say that he's "not very good at eBay" and I can certainly emphasize with that. :)

Ebay does everything in their power to screw as many people as possible just as a matter of course - starting with their UI. I haven't tried selling on eBay, but judging by the number of US sellers with seemingly nationalistic agendas, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of default which is difficult to override unless one is very experienced.

SpidersWeb
April 18th, 2014, 04:36 PM
My thinking was that international USPS is far too expensive.

It is, it's ridiculous. Then they seem to play football with the package to top it off.
But we still pay it.

In my case it's because where I live PCs (in the 80s) were mostly used by businesses who threw them out. Most home owners had Spectrum, Amstrad, Commodore etc.
We're also 1/100th the size of the US, so collecting bits like these can be a lot harder. Right now I'm trying to get a PS/2 power supply - and the seller wont add shipping - I think because he thinks the same way - $50 shipping for a $20 item? But I need that power supply!

SpidersWeb
April 18th, 2014, 04:38 PM
If baryp did this on purpose then he definitely owes an apology because the first person who replied, and who seemingly wanted this badly, would be left out. On the other hand, baryp did say that he's "not very good at eBay" and I can certainly emphasize with that. :).

Well he doesn't owe us anything. It's his stuff :) I'm just happy to see it not be used as blanks.

Ole Juul
April 18th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Right now I'm trying to get a PS/2 power supply - and the seller wont add shipping - I think because he thinks the same way - $50 shipping for a $20 item? But I need that power supply!

It's a strange way of thinking that defies all logic, though ultimately I do support people's right to their own emotions even if the rest of us don't understand them. I'm somewhat autistic, so do know about logic and emotions being way out of sync. But that doesn't prevent me from learning how to act in a logical and/or socially coherent manner.

One of our members here was kind enough to sell me a 5150 PSU and again, shipping from Australia is not trivial. But it's my dime, so logically I'm the only one who can make the decision.

barryp
May 16th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I didn't sell some and only want shipping cost. Hopefully the following link works:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191140194248?ssPageName=STRK:MEUNSOLD:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1588.l2649