PDA

View Full Version : Apple II Motherboard revisions?

snuci
April 16th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Does anyone have or know of a definitive source to identify Apple II motherboards? Something with pictures and differences of all of them would be nice. I'm surprised something like this doesn't exist (or at least I didn't find it yet).

Thanks.

david__schmidt
April 16th, 2014, 03:42 PM
https://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23477

DFinnigan
April 17th, 2014, 03:34 PM
If you have the book, The New Apple II User's Guide, therein you will find an appendix with a fairly decent coverage of the revisions. The older motherboard revisions are identified underneath the 6502 chip.

snuci
April 22nd, 2014, 05:29 PM
Thanks guys. I guess this question comes up a lot when someone get's an Apple II or II+ :)

I've recently acquired an II+ with a Rev 4 board, green slots from "8011". It's got one bank of chips plus an additional bank of 16k ceramic chips that appear to be from HobbyWorld Electroncs Inc (I have the receipt and the catalog). I don't think I've ever seen a board without full memory because this is missing one bank of chips so this seems out of the ordinary. Included with it was an Apple ROM card with Integer Basic and six cassettes, Sup 'R' Mod II and black paddles. Seems to have full documentation (came in the original box) but the strange part is, as complete as this seems (even warranty cards for the Apple II+ and the Integer card), the tapes are not the Apple II+ tapes.

The tapes included seem to be all Integer Basic tapes. I also have the original Packing List for the II+ that tells me what they should be and it lists different tapes. I have ColorSketch/SuperMath, Brick Out/Color Demo, Star Wars/Star Trek, Biorythm/Applevision, Pinball/Infinite Number of Monkeys and Sampler/Alignment Test Tone. I have the two Apple Tapes manuals and most appear to be in the Apple II edition and not the Apple II+ edition. The Star Wars/Star Trek don't appear in either but it's Integer Basic because it has ">Load 16k" on it. I am guessing the Apple II+ tapes have '] Load XXk" on them. Did these tapes originally come with the Apple II?

I have documentation for a Panasonic tape recorder too but no tape recorder so I don't think this ever had a floppy drive or monitor. It is pristine. Here's a couple of pics. I am curious about the tapes if anyone can guess why this would have those tapes. As complete as it is, I figured it would have the original II+ tapes. I have the packing list and instructions/manuals for the Integer Basic card; no tapes.

KC9UDX
April 22nd, 2014, 05:35 PM
Are you sure it's a +?

+'s didn't come with ROM CARDs, nor need them (unless I'm forgetting something).

If you don't have Applesoft ROMs on the motherboard, the motherboard may be a ][ in a ][+ case.

snuci
April 22nd, 2014, 06:05 PM
I gotta say, it is a bit confusing but it's a II+. Here's some pics that will help solve that one, I think. The box matches the serial number.

HoJoPo
April 22nd, 2014, 08:05 PM
It was possible to buy a ROM card with the Integer ROMs for the ][ plus, it wasn't a very popular item, as it was cheaper to get a clone language card and use a DOS 3.3 system master to load Integer BASIC into it. But 16k memory chips may have been pretty expensive in early 1980, so it's possible that someone decided to buy the ROM card instead at that time.

32k on the board is unusual, but it should work fine for quite a few things. There's a lot of 48k/64k only software out there, though. You should only have to add another bank of chips to get the full 48k.