PDA

View Full Version : Amiga 2000s running Windows threaten mainframes

KC9UDX
April 16th, 2014, 04:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EajxkIRfSZo

How did that get in there?

krebizfan
April 16th, 2014, 05:09 PM
The Amiga appeared as the voice-over described Unix taking over from the mainframe but instead companies that failed to invest in the mainframe went out of business. Commodore certainly didn't produce any mainframes and Commodore is no longer in business. Some might suggest that Commodore's problem were not primary caused by an overemphasis on Unix or a lack of mainframes.

I do find the whole film clip hilarious. Mainframes aren't really mainframes anymore but rather distributed computing systems of stripped down boring PCs or workstations placed inside a nice looking enclosure.

KC9UDX
April 16th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Maybe the audio was unsynchronised here (very likely) but when I saw the A2000 (wasn't the name missing?) The announcer seemed to really suggest it was running Windows.

I watched the whole series. It was mostly fluff, and very much a commercial for IBM Z.

vwestlife
April 16th, 2014, 07:06 PM
If you consider the IBM AS/400 to be a "mainframe" (although it really is a minicomputer), then virtually every accounting department on Earth is using them -- including Microsoft's.

bear
April 21st, 2014, 01:06 PM
Mainframes are definitely still mainframes and totally distinct from clusters of distributed systems. I'm not sure why you would even think such a thing, unless you've never had anything to do with a mainframe. HPC, yes, single-system-image supercomputers like the classic Cray are mostly a thing of the past, having been replaced in many cases by clusters of junk PCs. But supercomputers are not mainframes. They do completely different jobs.

EverythingIBM
May 2nd, 2014, 06:47 PM
The Amiga appeared as the voice-over described Unix taking over from the mainframe but instead companies that failed to invest in the mainframe went out of business. Commodore certainly didn't produce any mainframes and Commodore is no longer in business. Some might suggest that Commodore's problem were not primary caused by an overemphasis on Unix or a lack of mainframes.

I do find the whole film clip hilarious. Mainframes aren't really mainframes anymore but rather distributed computing systems of stripped down boring PCs or workstations placed inside a nice looking enclosure.

Not really, IBM's mainframes aren't x86. And real workstations will use FB-DIMMs which don't fit in any standard boring clone PC.