PDA

View Full Version : Brush with greatness

DimensionDude
August 31st, 2006, 06:02 PM
The thread about vintage games reminded me of this, I don't recall relating this story here before.

Two years ago at the Oklahoma Vintage Game Exhibition I had a bunch of old PC games for sale. All were in their boxes and I had them priced at $1 each. Most of them were Sierra adventure games (and knockoffs) like King's Quest, Hero's Quest, etc.

One of the games was Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi. A man that had come up to the table picked this one up, opened it, and pulled out the instruction manual. He looked at the back of it and said (paraphrasing) "I remember this game, I did some of the artwork." He said his name was Larry Dixon and we chatted briefly. Then I asked him to autograph the inside of the box lid so he did. Only much later did someone say to me "did you know that he was THE Larry Dixon, husband to Mercedes Lackey?" D'OH! I've read a few SF stories by Lackey and Dixon, the name just didn't click.

Needless to say I put that game away and brought it back home with me.

Kent

dreddnott
August 31st, 2006, 09:08 PM
That's pretty cool. I really enjoyed WC2. The storyline seriously engaged me.

I owned the CD-ROM edition and our 486 had a 2X CD-ROM drive, so missions took FOREVER to load, but it had the speech pack! I couldn't complain.

I met Iain McCaig at college, he gave an interesting lecture on drawing interesting people and even had us do a scary Jar-Jar contest (he was the lead character designer for Star Wars Episodes 1-3, so directly responsible for Mr. Binks).

I realised I actually appreciated him more for something else he'd done when he revealed that he had done the cover artwork for the Jethro Tull LP 'Broadsword and the Beast', mostly because he's a huge fan of the band. Needless to say, I had him sign my poster "Jethro Tull Owns You!".