PDA

View Full Version : Windows NT 4.0 SP6a (ALPHA) - can it be installed alone?

Jack.
April 20th, 2014, 01:17 AM
...or i need to install all the SPs in order to get it working?
May sound like a stupid question, but i can't figure it out...
-
Thanks in advance, and happy Easter to everyone!

Caluser2000
April 20th, 2014, 02:06 AM
If you already have SP6 you just need the Hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246009 If you don't install the full SP6a

Jack.
April 20th, 2014, 05:49 AM
No, i don't have any SP installed right now, but i wanted to know if i can directly install SP6 or SP6a full or i need to install SP 1-5 in order to get all of the fixes...

krebizfan
April 20th, 2014, 08:12 AM
You don't need to install all the service packs in order. You should be able to install SP 6 on a base NT4 install without any earlier SPs installed. But something I vaguely recall suggests that sometimes it was necessary to move to SP4 before going to SP6. I suggest downloading SP4 if you can find it just in case. If the SP6 install fails, try reinstalling NT4 followed by SP4 followed by SP6. Note: SP4 has some serious bugs and should not be left as the final patch level.

I can't find a relevant link to confirm my memory. My apologies if this leads you astray.

Jack.
April 21st, 2014, 05:03 AM
Thank you very much, i think i'll do that as soon as i can.

It would be awesome if anyone still had SP4 and SP6 download links for DEC Alpha, i'll thank you forever.

lucasdaytona
April 21st, 2014, 08:37 AM
Thank you very much, i think i'll do that as soon as i can.

It would be awesome if anyone still had SP4 and SP6 download links for DEC Alpha, i'll thank you forever.

Here, the SP6 Alpha link (http://download.microsoft.com/download/winntsp/Patch/6.0a/ALPHA/EN-US/Q246009a.EXE).

joekster
April 21st, 2014, 12:49 PM
ive got a few alphas and what i do is install nt40sp1 from cd, then install sp6a. as far as i know there was never a base install that contained sp2 (or above).

ps - if you've got software for nt4/alpha send me a pm, we can compare...

barythrin
April 21st, 2014, 01:03 PM
Just a general comment that may or may not be helpful (I know when I was young and first looking at patches/service packs for NT this came up also). Service packs are "cumulative" patches meaning they contain all the patches previously released plus new patches. This is versus something that might be an incremental patch in which case it would require the preceding patches applied before the new ones. Fortunately Microsoft makes it easy though.

Chuck(G)
April 21st, 2014, 02:40 PM
I believe that you are correct. All the SPs that I recall working with have been cumulative.

Caluser2000
April 21st, 2014, 02:49 PM
Just a general comment that may or may not be helpful (I know when I was young and first looking at patches/service packs for NT this came up also). Service packs are "cumulative" patches meaning they contain all the patches previously released plus new patches. This is versus something that might be an incremental patch in which case it would require the preceding patches applied before the new ones. Fortunately Microsoft makes it easy though.I think you'll find things have changed a bit now

Jack.
April 22nd, 2014, 01:01 AM
Here, the SP6 Alpha link (http://download.microsoft.com/download/winntsp/Patch/6.0a/ALPHA/EN-US/Q246009a.EXE).
That's the SP6 to SP6a upgrade, i need the full service pack right now...

ps - if you've got software for nt4/alpha send me a pm, we can compare...
PM Sent! ;)

Just a general comment that may or may not be helpful (I know when I was young and first looking at patches/service packs for NT this came up also). Service packs are "cumulative" patches meaning they contain all the patches previously released plus new patches. This is versus something that might be an incremental patch in which case it would require the preceding patches applied before the new ones. Fortunately Microsoft makes it easy though.
Perfect, so i'll do SP6 direct if i can!

Thank you guys, as always :)