PDA

View Full Version : Some kind of expansion cards - Help

IBM_User
April 21st, 2014, 05:26 AM
I have here these two expansion cards, the first one has two serial ports, one parallel, an RTC, and the memory expansion on it.
There is no manufacturer stamped on this card, possible someone knows who made this card or has perhaps an manual?

The other one, what should I say, I have no Idea for what this card could be.

krebizfan
April 21st, 2014, 05:58 AM
For the second card, could you take closer pictures of the various chips on the board or list what some of the labels say? Pictures of the connectors might also help. Scale is hard to determine; is the card shorter than a full length PC expansion card?

My guess is that it is a video card of some sort but I have nowhere near enough information to prove that. Though what looks like a parallel port daughtercard seems unusual to me. Too many chips for just serial/parallel card.

GottaLottaStuff
April 21st, 2014, 05:43 PM
Looks like the cards from a backplane PC clone. Not Zenith, maybe Hyundai? Instead of a motherboard, you had a power supply and a backplane with 6 or 8 ISA slots, sometimes with an odd non-standard CPU card slot. RAM and CPU, ports, etc. all were on cards. Is the big chip on the card with RAM an 8088?

SpidersWeb
April 21st, 2014, 08:19 PM
Looks like the cards from a backplane PC clone. Not Zenith, maybe Hyundai? Instead of a motherboard, you had a power supply and a backplane with 6 or 8 ISA slots, sometimes with an odd non-standard CPU card slot. RAM and CPU, ports, etc. all were on cards. Is the big chip on the card with RAM an 8088?

That chip looks like a UART to me. I think it's just a RAM+RTC+SER+PAR board, like the AST SixPakPlus.
If those RAM chips are 4164's, then it'd have 384KB RAM, a perfect top up for a 256K XT.

The other card has me puzzled. The design style screams IBM to me but I can't find anything that matches :S

Need more photos :)

Chuck(G)
April 21st, 2014, 10:28 PM
The top is probably a multifunction card, but the detail of the bottom one is far too small to make any for-certain pronouncements.

Use box.com files.com or some such to store your large images, then post a link to them.

IBM_User
April 22nd, 2014, 04:45 AM
It's a full length card, she was mounted in a IBM XT (1986 BIOS) along with the IBM standart cards
(serial and parallel board, fdd controller, hdd controller and the IBM EGA card), nothing special except this one.

Unfortunately the harddrive was formatted when I got it several years ago,
so I can't say if there was any specific software for this card.
The XT was used in a car rental office until 1995 that's all what I remember.

Anyway, on the small daughterboard there are a few 1488/89 IC's along with an Intel P8274
(multi-protocol serial controller (MPSC)), possible an high-speed serial board??

The other board has two 16K static ram chips and an MC6845 CRT controller.

http://www.files.com/image/53566332d055e/IMG_2732.jpg
http://www.files.com/image/535663b54b655/IMG_2738.jpg
http://www.files.com/image/535663fb2c394/IMG_2739.jpg
http://www.files.com/image/53566439e1963/IMG_2740.jpg

MauriceH
April 22nd, 2014, 05:24 AM
I alway's look for the bigger chips and look them up.

This Motorola M6845P is a video processor so that explanes the function of the card.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_6845

D25 then be the serial poort as most videocards have one on board.

Try looking further on that M6845P and maybe find the card it self.

Chuck(G)
April 22nd, 2014, 09:01 AM
I've seen parallel ports on video cards, nut not serial ports (at least not on "most of them"). But the 8274 MPSC does point to a higher-level serial interface, probably bisync. The 6845 is certainly a CRTC.

There is a large amount of "house number" chips on this card, so an earlier guess that it screams "IBM" is probably correct. I suspect this may be some sort of IBM terminal emulation, probably 3270. Also note the light pen connector at the extreme left of the larger PCB.

lowen
April 22nd, 2014, 09:22 AM
Could be a mainframe terminal emulation card of some sort. Perhaps BiSync or some other synchronous serial protocol; you'd then have a second monitor for the mainframe screen in addition to the EGA display. Being in a car dealership might imply access to some central computing system, and synchronous serial (which is why you'd use that Intel 8274) is common in that world. Might have even been connected to a Tandem NonStop system; I recall a special card being available for Tandem terminal emulation when I worked with such things twenty-four years ago. In that particular case the video card portion was pretty much IBM monochrome compatible, and it was not unusual to have a dual monitor setup for doing these things; however, most of the time you see parallel ports on MDA-compatible cards.

For other mainframes you have multidrop RS-485 and RS-232, and that also required special cards for some cases. Later front-end processors for mainframes like the Bull DPS8000 running GCOS were able to use multidrop modems and straight async ports, but sync was still used extensively, especially for remote sites, such as retail outlets and such.

Do you recall if there was a modem in the lot? (Typical for those days was 9600b/s bisync over leased lines.) Later they did LAN gateways; for the 3270 people there was the IRMALAN gateway, but I don't recall what the device for the Tandem was.

lowen
April 22nd, 2014, 09:25 AM
There is a large amount of "house number" chips on this card, so an earlier guess that it screams "IBM" is probably correct. I suspect this may be some sort of IBM terminal emulation, probably 3270. Also note the light pen connector at the extreme left of the larger PCB.

Hmm, now that you mention 'house numbers' this screams Data General to me. The numbers look just like current EMC numbers, and EMC bought out DG years ago. HP was famous for house number chips, too.