PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate MFM Controller Card

Marty
April 24th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Hi All;
Here is what I call the Ultimate MFM (S-100) Controller Card, also made by Miniscribe, its a MS1002..

THANK YOU Marty

MikeS
April 24th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Hi All;
Here is what I call the Ultimate MFM (S-100) Controller Card, also made by Miniscribe, its a MS1002..

THANK YOU MartyWhat makes it the "Ultimate" controller?

How does it compare with an STDC/X (onboard Z80, 64KB cache buffer for 4 full tracks, DMA, etc.):

http://s100computers.com/Hardware%20Folder/Cromemco/STDC%20HDC/STDC.htm

Marty
April 24th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Hi All;
Mike, Thank You, for the information, I Stand Corrected.. I didn't know about the STDC/X Board..
The Main Purpose of this Board was that it allowed Miniscribe to change a Large ammount of Parameters, while testing their Drives, before sending them out.. So, The Board You mention is better, since it has the Z-80 and DMA, for getting the customers information off of the Drive.. Where this was for Testing Purposes only, and I was also thinking and comparing it to the Miniscribe IDE board I pictured in a different posting.. and the WD Boards that I have in my 286 PC..
Thank You for setting me Straight.. I need to do some research before posting..

THANK YOU Marty

MikeS
April 25th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Thank You for setting me Straight.. I need to do some research before posting..

THANK YOU MartyNah, don't take me too seriously; I was just teasing you a bit because words like Ultimate, best, first, etc. are just asking for someone to point out something better, older, etc., and as usual I couldn't resist... ;-)

From a purely technical perspective the STDC/X is indeed probably one of the best S-100 ST-506 controllers out there and it does indeed shine in the environment it's designed for (Cromix), but I'd imagine that it would be a bit of a challenge to fully use it in a 'normal' CP/M environment; at least I don't know of anyone who's even tried. It's also not very common (but what HD controller is...), so in practical terms yours would probably be a better choice.

FWIW, I didn't even know that Miniscribe made S100 ST-412/506 controllers

Marty
April 25th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Hi All;
The Company that I used to work for built many Test Racks for Miniscribe, and even though this Board was not (If I remember correctly) used for these particular Test Racks.. This Particular Board was used later on in the Process to Test Drives for Final Functionility testing.. Varing the Timing and length of the Various signals, Moving the Heads Off Track, etc.. They basicially are the HD-1001, with more stuff from Advanced Digital..
THANK YOU Marty

lowen
April 25th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Hmm, is the large chip an 8X300 by chance? If so, it's much like the type 2 TRS-80 ST506 controller (see http://fjkraan.home.xs4all.nl/comp/trs80m2/HardDiskController8x300_2.jpg ) Image was too large to pull into the page....

The 8X300 ran an emulation of the WD1010 instruction set.

Marty
April 25th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Hi All;
Iowen, Thanks for Your reply, its an 8X305N.. I don't know what that is, I will need to try and look it up..
THANK YOU Marty

lowen
April 25th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Hi All;
Iowen, Thanks for Your reply, its an 8X305N.. ...
THANK YOU Marty

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signetics_8X300

It's a sophisticated and oddball microcontroller, and again was very commonly used for this application due to the rather fast cycle time and simple implementation of controller-type functions.