PDA

View Full Version : Andy Warhol art recovered from Amiga computer

smp
April 25th, 2014, 12:45 PM
FYI...

http://www.warhol.org/uploadedFiles/Warhol_Site/Warhol/Content/The_Museum/Press_room/documents/The_Warhol_Amiga_Project_Release_4-24-14.pdf

It seems that antique computer buffs can be good from something in the public interest.

I looked around a little, but I did not see any other posting about this. Sorry if I am duplicating.

smp

Maverick1978
April 25th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Very cool - though I have to disagree with "complicated recovery process" - unless the floppies were damaged, I mean. Basically any number of us with an Amiga and Deluxe Paint could've likely recovered these :)

SomeGuy
April 25th, 2014, 12:54 PM
This was mentioned on Slashdot the other day. Slashdot made it sound like they used some fancy magnetic imaging stuff. When actually all they did was shove it in a regular old floppy drive attached to a Kryoflush.

krebizfan
April 25th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Apparently, the file format used by Graphiccraft on the pre-release Amiga differed from the file formats recognized by other Amiga graphics programs including later versions of Graphicscraft. Wasn't exactly a complex reverse engineering but wasn't completely simple.

http://studioforcreativeinquiry.org/events/warhol-discovery check down a bit for the PDF which explains in detail.

geoffm3
April 25th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Seems like being able to step with half track accuracy on a HD mechanism while reading DD disks might be useful in a recovery process compared to a regular DD drive on the real hardware.

barythrin
April 25th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Well, it all depends on who's spinning the tale and how technical they want to make it sound. If they "had" to use a kryoflux then quite possibly the disks weren't readable or considered corrupt hence the more technical term of using magnetic flux patterns to restore the data vs just saying they used a disk imaging tool. Could also be because they didn't have a working Amiga 1000 around lol.

Uh.." but the other images on the disks had been inaccessible due to their obsolete format, since entering the collection in 1994" ok nevermind.

LocalH
April 30th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Am I the only one more interested in the Kickstarts they dumped? I saw mention of at least Kickstart 26.1 and 26.7.