PDA

View Full Version : Kaypro II with Advent turborom

phogren
April 25th, 2014, 06:55 PM
I saw this KYPRO II on Ebay and got it because it's a II with the Advent Turborom 3.4, It's got some problems.
There is a "daughter board" that plugs into the Floppy connection on the motherboard and then the floppy disk cable plugs into it. There are several wires from the card. One is soldered to the WDC chip the other goes to U86 (HD74LS293P) with a quick clip, another from one of the IC's on the daughterboard has come loose from somewhere and another quick clip is loose but may not go anywhere. I am assuming it alows use of DSDD and or 96tpi drives. There are two half height drives and one full height drive (the old B drive).
Looking for documentation for the "daughter board".

Frank S
April 25th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Hello Phogren,
are you able to read out the Advent-EPROM?
We are looking a long time for this rare TurboRom-EPROM for the Kaypro 83.
It is one of two possible EPROMs, that are neccesary to operate the Kaypro with a hard disk/FreHD.

Thanks in advance,
Frank

PS.: The add-on board seems to be an enhancement for DD/DS floppy drives.

phogren
April 26th, 2014, 04:11 AM
I was thinking the same thing about the eprom. I want to get it to work first and then read the EPROM.

phogren
April 28th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Here is where I am on this Kaypro II.
It does have the Advent Turborom 3.4 which is the 24 pin EPROM at U47.
It has the later II motherboard with PCI-240A silk screened on the motherboard.
The card piggy backed on the Floppy connection is a Personality/decoder board. It's the first time I've actually seen one.
I am getting a lot of information now from the Advent Turborom documentation. I can only get it to partially boot. It tries to boot and I get a quick millisecond flash of CP/M 2.2f (thanks to iphone slo mo video mode) and then just a blinking cursor in the top left.
I am going to continue to work with it and will report back. I will try to copy the EPROM if I can get it to work.

Frank S
April 28th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Do you try to boot a standard Kaypro 2.2f disk?
The Advent ROM only works with the disk modified for the Advent ROM.
This you have to do in the original Kaypro with the stock ROM.
If you are not able to do this, send me the Advent-EPROM data.
Then i am able to build a disk for use with the Kaypro Advent-ROM.

Frank

phogren
April 29th, 2014, 08:43 AM
I am stuck at a sorta kinda boot. It botts to a flashing cursor on the top left corner of the screen. Obviously looking for something. I took the Presonality/decode board off to make sure that wasn't the problem but there is no change. It's always a problem when you work on something that someone else modified. I'm going to look through my pile of junk stuff and see if I have another WD FDC controller chip.
The eprom programmer I have is on a C128 and not currently setup. I will set it up sometime this week and send you a copy. I have had good luck with burning eproms with it for the Kaypro.

Sharkonwheels
April 30th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Do you try to boot a standard Kaypro 2.2f disk?
The Advent ROM only works with the disk modified for the Advent ROM.
This you have to do in the original Kaypro with the stock ROM.
If you are not able to do this, send me the Advent-EPROM data.
Then i am able to build a disk for use with the Kaypro Advent-ROM.

Frank

Think you may have that backwards... At least with the 84s...

My K10 and K4's will boot fine off the original Kaypro media.
However, without the TROM, they will not boot the TROM-modified boot disks.

Phogren - Do you have a standard KII you can borrow the boot rom from, or can you burn an EPROM? or have a BIOS emulator, like the car ECU-hacking kiddies use?
You can try using original media with original ROM, and see what happens...

If what Frank S says is true, regarding the '83 models, when you see the bootup CP/M screen, does it mention Advent or TurboROM in any way?
If what he says is valid for '83 models, then yeah, egg-and-chicken problem. When installing TROM and it's software, You need to create the boot disks first under the factory ROM, then swap over.

Here's a link to standard ROMs:
ftp://ftp.mrynet.com/os/Kaypro/kaypro_roms/

phogren
April 30th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Here is what I get on powering on.
I guess I'll have to break out the eprom burner and I do have another II so I'll report back on results.

phogren
May 1st, 2014, 06:14 AM
I did get it to boot with an advent install disk. I think it may have a problem with the power supply, the voltages are fine but it's a little intermittent at times. Checking for iffy capacitors seems prudent.
At least the eprom does work and I will try to copy and duplicate it. I'll also try and install it on an early II.

Frank S
May 1st, 2014, 09:24 AM
...I'll also try and install it on an early II.
I suggest that the Advent-EPROM i an 2732. Early Kaypro II supports only 2716 EPROMs without modification.

Frank

jaquinn
May 1st, 2014, 11:11 PM
I have a writeup on the early Kaypro II and changes required to support a 2732 EPROM at http://www.quicktrip.co.nz/jaqblog/home/94-kprofrehd3

phogren
May 4th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Welll...... Working with an early II:
I copied the 83 advent rom to a 2732 EPROM. I did the modifications to allow the 2732 to work (2 jumpers) on the early II. I got the Advent Turbo 83 opening screen! I could not get it to boot.
I scrounged a 74S04 IC and did the modification to allow the early II to use Double Sided drives. I get it to boot but can't the programs to run.
I will report back.

phogren
May 4th, 2014, 05:04 PM
It is working great, I generated a 63K working copy and all programs run correctly. Noticeably faster too.

cavelamb
May 21st, 2014, 09:36 PM
I did get it to boot with an advent install disk. I think it may have a problem with the power supply, the voltages are fine but it's a little intermittent at times. Checking for iffy capacitors seems prudent.
At least the eprom does work and I will try to copy and duplicate it. I'll also try and install it on an early II.

First thing - check the press-fit connectors at the power supply cable.
Clean up and solder them.