PDA

View Full Version : Early IBM 5150's Black Power Supply with yellow sticker.

Jimmy
April 28th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Below is a picture of an early IBM 5150 power supply. It is black with a yellow sticker. I believe Framer from here in the forum supplied the pic for the webpage.

My question, was this power supply only for 220 VAC systems sold outside of the US?

Thanks,

Jimmy

IBM_User
April 28th, 2014, 08:06 AM
My PSU has the yellow sticker too (maybe ten years ago it was), but anyway this PSU was for 110V and 220V operation designed.
Internally is a short wire which you have to plug into the right socket according to the proper operating voltage.

I am currently work on my black PSU, the original one is dead so I switch it with an 130W PSU which I have laying here.

modem7
April 28th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Below is a picture of an early IBM 5150 power supply. It is black with a yellow sticker. I believe Framer from here in the forum supplied the pic for the webpage.
The web page that you will be referring to is [here (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5150/early/5150_early.htm)], a page on my web site.
The third PSU photo is of my early 5150, a machine that I know was sold in Australia (and made in the US).

My question, was this power supply only for 220 VAC systems sold outside of the US?
Based on IBM_User's post, it is possible that the PSU is simply a late evolution of the black PSU, made in the US for both the 110 Vac and 220 Vac markets.
It makes business sense. Depending on demand, IBM changed the jumper and then added the corresponding voltage and part number stickers.

Maybe a US based VCF member with an early 5150 is about to reply that they have the same black PSU (yellow sticker, fan nuts on inside), except that the voltage sticker indicates '110 VAC'.

snuci
April 29th, 2014, 02:36 AM
Maybe a US based VCF member with an early 5150 is about to reply that they have the same black PSU (yellow sticker, fan nuts on inside), except that the voltage sticker indicates '110 VAC'.

My US 110 VAC has a red sticker like your second picture. Maybe the color denoted a quick way to tell the voltage?

modem7
April 29th, 2014, 04:21 AM
My US 110 VAC has a red sticker like your second picture. Maybe the color denoted a quick way to tell the voltage?
No, the yellow sticker became standard on the later released silver coloured power supplies. You can see one on US ebay at [here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-PC-63-5-Watt-Power-Supply-Works-/190861435046)].

IBM_User
April 29th, 2014, 04:38 AM
No, the yellow sticker became standard on the later released silver coloured power supplies.

I agree with this, all of my later ("B") 5150 have the silver PSU with yellow sticker.