PDA

View Full Version : 5150 to work as a functional word processor

Redspasz
April 30th, 2014, 12:35 AM
Greetings,

I am looking to get my 5150 fixed up to work as a functional Word processor. Here are some of the obstacles I need to overcome.

1:/ No DOS disc to boot from. I cant seem to find one on Ebay.

2:/ No Program. Cant seem to find a hard copy of a word processor.

3:/ I do have a minicribe 2012 drive, but no controller (anyone know the best one to use)

Machine boots into basic just fine.

Thank you for any help!

~R18539

modem7
April 30th, 2014, 01:05 AM
Welcome to these forums.

Lots of IBM 5150 info (including programs) is at www.minuszerodegrees.net

1:/ No DOS disc to boot from. I cant seem to find one on Ebay.
A member here may post you a 5.25" one. Whereabouts on the world are you?

Note that your 5150 (as is) has the ability to boot from a 720K diskette. Information (and an image of a boot diskette) is [here (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5150_5160/720k/5150_5160_boot_using_720k.htm)].

3:/ I do have a minicribe 2012 drive, but no controller (anyone know the best one to use)
Your 5150 photo shows the 64KB-256KB version of the 5150 motherboard. That means that it will have the third BIOS revision, which supports hard disk controllers.

However, adding a hard drive to the 5150 is problematic, because of the limited capability of the 63W power supply to power a large 'clunky' full-height hard drive such as the Miniscribe 2012, in addition to the motherboard and floppy drives. More information on that subject in is the 'Hard disk drive' section at [here (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5150/problems/5150_known_problems_issues.htm)].

Ole Juul
April 30th, 2014, 02:22 AM
I'll gladly provide you with what you need to read and write comfortably on that machine, but how much actual "word processing" do you wish to do? There are some excellent editors that are very small and easy to use, and which would work in that environment. To me this is a good machine for writing - even a book. However, you're not going to get WordPerfect to run on it without a HDD. And as modem7 points out, that needs a new PSU. Personally, I think that takes the fun, and style, out of using a classic (and classy) two floppy machine.

Stone
April 30th, 2014, 03:05 AM
I use Professional Write for everything and it runs fine from two 360K floppies. It's a full featured word processor.

bettablue
April 30th, 2014, 03:15 AM
When booting from 360 Kb floppy discs, I find Professional Write to be one of the best word processors out there. Small, and yet loaded with features, PW is really a great way to go. I also agree with ole Juul. I have an IBM 5150 that runs strictly from floppy disc. The dual full height 360 Kb drives are fun to work with at times. While small compared to the storage capacity of other floppy disc formats, they can hold enough to write a novel.

In fact, I know of someone who recently had her novel published after writing it on her own 5150. She had to bring her work to another computer for printing, but the 5150 did the job quite nicely.

RWallmow
April 30th, 2014, 04:51 AM
In fact, I know of someone who recently had her novel published after writing it on her own 5150. She had to bring her work to another computer for printing, but the 5150 did the job quite nicely.

Even the newest HP LaserJet printers (with EIO slots) can support a parallel port card (you can also find older HP lasers with built in LPT for under $50 on craigslist), so it wouldn't be too hard to even print from a 5150.

I would also look into an XT-IDE or XT-CF (http://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/XT-CF-lite) then you don't have to rely on floppies and its much easier to read/write a CF card than it is to read/write a 360k floppy disk on a modern PC.

I think a 5150 would make an excellent word processor outfitted properly though.

Chuck(G)
April 30th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Somewhere in the collection of 5.25" disks I posted about a year ago, there's the demo prerelease version of Microsoft Word. It's fully functional, can run from a single SSDD floppy. Since you've got 2 floppy drives, you're ready to go. Word 1.0 can indeed run from floppies. Failing that, there's always WordStar. Was there ever a PC version of Spellbinder?

SomeGuy
April 30th, 2014, 08:44 AM
As I recall that Word 1.0 demo won't let you save documents.

Redspasz
April 30th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Thank you for the reply!

I will definitely look into all this info. Now just to find some floppy's.

Best regards.

~R

Redspasz
April 30th, 2014, 09:07 AM
thank you for the reply!

I am going to write scripts for children's TV shows. Unfortunately one of the drives is missing its Lever, so I am not sure if its even funtional. I also have an external
So I guess the real problem is getting dos and the programs required on floppies.

Very Jazzed to sit in front of the 5153 click clacking away in the wee hours of the morning :)

Best regards.

~R

Chuck(G)
April 30th, 2014, 09:39 AM
As I recall that Word 1.0 demo won't let you save documents.

It does for me, so I'm a little puzzled. The original disk was write-protected. It might be that I hacked it--it was, after all, 30 years ago.

Stone
April 30th, 2014, 10:12 AM
I will definitely look into all this info. Now just to find some floppy's.Check my SIG.

Redspasz
May 8th, 2014, 04:08 PM
I'll gladly provide you with what you need to read and write comfortably on that machine, but how much actual "word processing" do you wish to do? There are some excellent editors that are very small and easy to use, and which would work in that environment. To me this is a good machine for writing - even a book. However, you're not going to get WordPerfect to run on it without a HDD. And as modem7 points out, that needs a new PSU. Personally, I think that takes the fun, and style, out of using a classic (and classy) two floppy machine.

It would be amazing if you could provide me what I require! just tell me what I need to do! And thank you so much! I am very excited.

Ole Juul
May 9th, 2014, 03:02 AM
It would be amazing if you could provide me what I require! just tell me what I need to do! And thank you so much! I am very excited.

Hi Redspasz. It's about 4 a.m. and I just noticed this. I'll get on it tomorrow. I'll post a package somewhere.

Ole Juul
May 9th, 2014, 11:50 PM
Hi Redspasz. It's about 4 a.m. and I just noticed this. I'll get on it tomorrow. I'll post a package somewhere.

OK, I made a little package for you. Grab the zip file here. (http://cgs.coalmont.net/minied.zip)

I forgot to mention in the included notes, that PP.COM can set the left margin and print both with, or without,
a header.

Notes:

Minimal resource collection of writing utilities suitable
for running from a 360K floppy. This will leave plenty of
room for files even if there is only one drive. Delete what
you don't need in order to maximize space. There is all
that is needed for serious writing and printing.

TED COM 3,072 Small editor. No word wrap, but excellent.
TER COM 4,096 A much improved version of TED. Still no wrap.
DM COM 8,564 Very capable file browser. View any type of file.
PP COM 9,564 Very convenient printing utility. "PP /?" for info.
RED COM 6,893 Small editor with wrap, margins, and more.
RED KEY 1,184 Important note about RED. F1 gives more help.
RED DOC 3,788 Email about RED. Delete after reading.
ASCII EXE 5,792 Displays a screen of ASCII characters.
WC EXE 13,120 Wordcount utility. Delete if not needed.

I'm not sure what resources you have. Hopefully you can unzip that file (MINIED.ZIP) and put the parts you need on a floppy along with the bits you need to boot. I usually put this stuff in a /UTIL directory, or similar, and add it to a path in an AUTOEXEC.BAT. If you need help doing all that, let me know. I could theoretically also make a bootable disk image that you could write. Or even mail you a working disk - all set up and ready to go. I prefer e-mail for its speed and convenience: oj@cgs.pw works.

k2x4b524[
May 10th, 2014, 12:25 AM
I don't know if you have the power supply hard drive problem solved, but one solution was to add a hard card. I did this with my 5150 that had the 63w supply, the hard card was the plus card 20. I ended up placing the machine in the living computer museum that is in Seattle WA. As for early word processors, I always fancied word perfect, or an early version of word.

Chuck(G)
May 10th, 2014, 08:06 AM
You can also run Wordstar 3.3 and 4.0 on a PC with 360K drives. I've done it--and the software is still kicking around.

Agent Orange
May 10th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Don't forget MultiMate, It was more or less designed for the PC. I believe I still have a copy somewhere. The only downside is that my version doesn't lend itself to a HD very well for some reason.

offensive_Jerk
May 10th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Chuck what was your favorite 80s word processor?

Chuck(G)
May 10th, 2014, 09:20 AM
There would have been two. Plain old Wordstar, which was available for the PC right from the start and utterly compatible with the 8-bit Wordstar that I was using on 8-bit CP/M gear. Later in the 80s, it was Wordstar 2000, which was not at all compatible with the old Wordstar--not in the least. But it could handle prop spacing gracefully and had many advanced features (such as auto-hyphenation)--it was also much larger in footprint than original WS. I used it right up through a good part of the 90s.

The cool thing about PC Wordstar is that if you have an "almost" PC compatible, the customization memory area still is functional, so you can patch the thing to work off a terminal if that's your pleasure.

FunctionalLimits
May 10th, 2014, 10:53 AM
I remember using Wordstar on my first computer, which was a laptop (!) with an 8088 microprocessor, 384K of RAM, and a single floppy drive. A former IMSAI programmer, Rob Barnaby, apparently wrote the original code on his own in 4 months in assembler for CP/M on an IMSAI PCS 80/30. He gave that machine to Digibarn, and they have some interviews with him on their website. I couldn't find a good representative screenshot of Wordstar, but it was a good text editor. I wonder if it's easy to get a copy of a CP/M version. It would be a blast to put that on an old Kaypro.

Chuck(G)
May 10th, 2014, 11:19 AM
It should be fairly simple--it was part of software bundles for many CP/M systems, including common ones like Morrow. Version 3.3 should be as findable as cockroaches--there are several copies over at retroarchive.org.

I still have a NIB copy of WS 4.0 for CP/M, which, I believe, was the last 8-bit CP/M version offered. Never used it, as I moved to a PC about then for word processing.

I do have a third-party set of instructions that describes how to enable proportional spacing on CP/M 3.3. It's sort of workable.

FunctionalLimits
May 10th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the link. All sorts of good stuff there. It's funny, over time hardware got smaller, and software got more and more bloated.

offensive_Jerk
May 10th, 2014, 04:08 PM
So Chuck, now a days, did you get forced into using MS Word?

Ole Juul
May 11th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Did you get cold feet? I have to go to town at some time anyway. Might as well drop by the post office with a disk for you if you're still interested.

Chuck(G)
May 11th, 2014, 06:30 PM
So Chuck, now a days, did you get forced into using MS Word?

Yeah, although nowadays, it's AbiWord.

There is one advantage--when I do text conversion work, my output is RTF, so that's pretty much readable by anyone's word processing package. So MS did something useful, I guess.

Redspasz
May 13th, 2014, 12:19 AM
Amazing!! thank you!

Redspasz
May 13th, 2014, 12:23 AM
Did you get cold feet? I have to go to town at some time anyway. Might as well drop by the post office with a disk for you if you're still interested.

No NO :) we have a new baby on the way so we are preparing for that. I just sent you an email in regards to the disc. Thanks again for all the help! cant wait to get this up and running.

~S

Ole Juul
May 14th, 2014, 04:43 PM
I was just about to write a couple of disks to send. I'm assuming this particular machine has double sided drives. I'm not expert enough to tell from the pictures.

SpidersWeb
May 14th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Both drives in his machine are double sided. At the front of the drive PCB there is two plug sets (5 and 6) connected - one for each head.

Ole Juul
May 14th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Both drives in his machine are double sided. At the front of the drive PCB there is two plug sets (5 and 6) connected - one for each head.

Thanks. :) I've got a 5150 with a single sided drive, but I haven't looked at it for a while and had forgotten about the separate head plugs. I'll go write a couple of 360s then.