PDA

View Full Version : Parallel card in XT and backpack FDD

cruising
April 30th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Hello!

i have installed the backpack with installations software to the HDD in root C:, but it does not find the backback. I use 1 parallel card in slot 8 and 1 sixpack with a parallel port, and when you use the installer, it configure the config.sys with the line "device=\backpack.sys B:

I have no clue why it doesnt find the backpack fdd, is it the config.sys line? or can it be my parallel ports that not working?

Stone
April 30th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Sounds like you have two parallel ports installed. Are they set to different addresses? Try removing one parallel port and see if the backpack works in the other port.

cruising
April 30th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Sounds like you have two parallel ports installed. Are they set to different addresses? Try removing one parallel port and see if the backpack works in the other port.

Yes i have one parallel card and one parallel port on the ast sixpack memorycard, and i do have tried to remove both with 1 installed at time with no luck.

Chuck(G)
April 30th, 2014, 04:26 PM
A driver issue, mayhap? I've used Backpack floppies on XTs for a long time. Does SETID see your drive?

lisa2
April 30th, 2014, 05:18 PM
If you have a real IBM XT, slot 8 is not the same as the other slots. Back in the day, I setup 100's of these systems, and my memory is a little fuzzy on this 30 years later, but the only card that I remember that was officially supported by iBM in slot 8 was the async (RS232) card (I may be wrong on this). You may want to google "PC/XT Slot 8" for more info.
HTH,
Rick

cruising
May 1st, 2014, 01:19 AM
A driver issue, mayhap? I've used Backpack floppies on XTs for a long time. Does SETID see your drive?
No SETID does not see my drive, and i guess it never will as long the driver doesnt find the fdd on boot?
EDIT: would you mind tell me exactly how you do when you install your backpack?

If you have a real IBM XT, slot 8 is not the same as the other slots. Back in the day, I setup 100's of these systems, and my memory is a little fuzzy on this 30 years later, but the only card that I remember that was officially supported by iBM in slot 8 was the async (RS232) card (I may be wrong on this). You may want to google "PC/XT Slot 8" for more info.
HTH,
Rick
Ill have to swap the sockets then and try, im not 100% if the parallel card was in slot 8, ill have to check that to be sure.

EDIT: the card was in slot 8, and lisa2 was correct! now my backpack is working 100% thanks everyone!

lisa2
May 1st, 2014, 08:39 AM
EDIT: the card was in slot 8, and lisa2 was correct! now my backpack is working 100% thanks everyone!

That's great. When new, an ASYC card in slot 8 was standard on XT's, so not a lot of folks attempted to put other cards in that slot. Also slot 8 could only accommodate "short" cards, and at the time many cards where "full" size and would not physically fit in slot 8.
Rick

modem7
May 1st, 2014, 11:36 PM
The slot 8 issue, as well as lots of other important IBM 5160 information, is at http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/index.htm