PDA

View Full Version : Zenith SlimsPort 286 - Won't Boot

Marty C
May 1st, 2014, 07:33 AM
I have a Zenith Slimsport 286, 20Mb hard drive, 1Mb RAM, floppy drive, no modem. When I turn it on, (running on AC adapter, no battery), the yellow power LED comes on, the fan turns on and remains running, I hear the HD spin for just a second, and the green HD LED flashes then turns off. When I try booting from the floppy drive, I hear the drive run for few seconds, then stops. I can see the screen glowing, but no cursor or messages.

What's a good next step? Is this likely to be a power supply problem? I havenít opened it up yet, but from other posts, I get the impression I should be looking for leaking capacitors (?)

I bought this from the original owner. The case is in very nice shape with no yellowing, and Iíd like to get it running.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Marty

Stone
May 1st, 2014, 08:09 AM
Can you get into the CMOS setup? That's a good place to start.

Marty C
May 1st, 2014, 08:55 AM
Thanks, but I can't get into BIOS. The owner's manual says:

"Press the Ctrl-Alt-Ins key combination to access the Monitor program. Type SETUP and press ENTER at the prompt to display the Setup program."

I've tried Ctrl-Alt-Ins, but I'm not seeing anything on the screen.

Marty

Marty C
May 1st, 2014, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Stone. The owner's manual says:

"Press the Ctrl-Alt-Ins key combination to access the "Monitor" program. Type SETUP and press ENTER at the prompt to display the Setup program."

I tried Ctrl-Alt-Ins within a second or two of turning on the computer, but I don't see anything on the screen. I've tried this both when booting from the HD and floppy drive.

SpidersWeb
May 1st, 2014, 12:00 PM
Mine did the exact same thing. Now it wont start at all. Sadly I haven't looked in to it very far as it was in pretty poor condition.

Caps can be faulty without any visual indicators.

Marty C
July 22nd, 2015, 06:02 PM
Ha...I learned that it's possible to enter the "MF Monitor" program by holding down the ESC key as you turn on the computer. From the MF Monitor screen, it's possible to enter Setup (BIOS), and if I change the setting to no hard drive, I'm able to boot from the floppy disk. I got this tip from "HighTreason610" who gave, just this year, a 30+ minute review of the Slimsport 286 on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKfxPm63_N8). Booting from the floppy is intermittent, but I'll open it up and try cleaning it.