PDA

View Full Version : IBM Typing Tutor

bettablue
May 4th, 2014, 09:10 PM
A friend of mine is looking for the above software. Evidently it was written in IBM BASIC to be loaded via cassette tape. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of it, and if there is a resource on the Web for locating a legally downloadable mp3 copy with help files and any other info available. Do any of you have any idea where I might look? I've tried a Google search, and scoured the IBM archives trying to find info on this program to no avail. I saw the posts written by mbbrutman, Shadow Lord at al regarding the Typing Tutor on cassette, and the general consensus seems to be that the program never really existed. But then again, neither did the Diagnostics, and Advanced Diagnostics, but those can be found on cassette, and have been. There are other programs which were also available on cassette too, although I have never had cause to look for them. Even in All Things DOS software library, we don't have anything even close. But then again, our selection of programs written in BASIC are limited to a handful of small utilities and test programs. Still, what I have found, and read on the Web, and in VCF, leaves me to believe that there might be something to the BASIC version of IBM Typing Tutor.

If anyone has any information at all regarding this program, please respond.

Thanks much.

SpidersWeb
May 4th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Was discussed recently under Vintage Gaming - check out some of the links to adverts on this thread:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?42554-MS-Typing-Tutor-for-the-IBM-PC-on-cassette

So it certainly existed! No idea where to find a copy though, someone would need the original cassette and to convert it to MP3.

luvit
May 5th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Was discussed recently under Vintage Gaming - check out some of the links to adverts on this thread:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?42554-MS-Typing-Tutor-for-the-IBM-PC-on-cassette
So it certainly existed! No idea where to find a copy though, someone would need the original cassette and to convert it to MP3.
I have posted something of interest (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?42554-MS-Typing-Tutor-for-the-IBM-PC-on-cassette&p=325066#post325066) in the original thread.. nothing is really 100% concrete, but I think this is pretty solid.

bettablue
May 5th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Hey Spidey. Thanks for your quick response.

Yeah, I ran across that thread too, and read it from start to finish. Some of the links were pretty interesting. I especially liked mbbrutman's wave form info, and downloaded the diagnostic as an mp3. Still though, there doesn't seem to be much info regarding the Typing Tutor. The primary reason I posted this thread is that my friend actually HAD a copy on cassette. He also had the program book so it could be keyed into a PC running BASIC, which I thought was pretty interesting on its own. My friend asked me about it because on my web page at www.allthingsdos.com, we have an EXTENSIVE software library. I think there are a couple of different typing tutor programs in our DOS collections, but he wanted the one written in BASIC because that is the one he had used previously. I even get the distinct impression that the program was used in a school setting, but he hasn't responded to my request for more information just yet.

And, luvit: Your detective work is getting you some followers. it's nice to have someone like you in the Forums. Lord knows, I'm the worst at finding stuff. I still have trouble trying to use Google search properly to scour a web page, like these Forums, for information. Keep up the great work.

luvit
May 5th, 2014, 01:29 PM
...my friend actually HAD a copy on cassette. He also had the program book so it could be keyed into a PC running BASIC, which I thought was pretty interesting on its own.
That is pretty interesting that the BASIC code was printed. I assume that was included with the software? -- is there any chance that he typed that out and saved it to cassette on his own?
I'm not trying to wish this to not exist.. I'm playing devil's advocate. (:

Erik
May 5th, 2014, 01:43 PM
I've got this on disk but I don't think I've ever seen the cassette version...

luvit
May 5th, 2014, 01:46 PM
!! Erik, can you print the code from the disk? !!

bettablue
May 5th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Sorry luvit, but my friend either wasn't patient enough to have keyed in the entire program on his IBM PC. He told me that he only loaded it from cassette. I have a photo that he sent my just a few moments ago though, so I know it's got to be out there somewhere. This photo doesn't seem to include the program code booklet. He tells me that the Typing Tutor was also available on floppy disc, but it was still written in BASIC. I don't know if this helps, but the package has "Personal Computer Educational Series" in the upper right corner. In the attached photo the printing is pretty faded, so it's not all that clear, and can be hard to read by someone with bad eyesight; like me for example!

Like I said, I don't know if it helps or not, but I fully believe you can almost never have too much information on something your searching for.

Thanks again.

That is pretty interesting that the BASIC code was printed. I assume that was included with the software? -- is there any chance that he typed that out and saved it to cassette on his own?
I'm not trying to wish this to not exist.. I'm playing devil's advocate. (: