PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Use a Serial Mouse in Windows 95

Cael Thunderwing
May 10th, 2014, 10:47 AM
i have a Serial Mouse that works in Mouse Systems Mode (CTMouse /M) and even set in config.sys "install=c:\mouse\CTMOUSE.EXE /M" and durring bot i say "Mouse installed @ COM1"

but nothing in Windows :/ the mouse is a Midwest Micro Elite "Model Jx Mouse" (serial mouse)

i'd love to have windows 95 running for the whole FAT32 support so i can make decent use of the HDD inside but if i haveto go back to DOS 6.22/win 3.11 and have just a few 2GB Partitions i guess i have no choice as i just want this system Usable.

Billyray
June 28th, 2014, 05:07 AM
i have a Serial Mouse that works in Mouse Systems Mode (CTMouse /M) and even set in config.sys "install=c:\mouse\CTMOUSE.EXE /M" and durring bot i say "Mouse installed @ COM1"

but nothing in Windows :/ the mouse is a Midwest Micro Elite "Model Jx Mouse" (serial mouse)

i'd love to have windows 95 running for the whole FAT32 support so i can make decent use of the HDD inside but if i haveto go back to DOS 6.22/win 3.11 and have just a few 2GB Partitions i guess i have no choice as i just want this system Usable.

I have just the opposite problem. I can't get a PS-2 mouse to work on my Windows 3.11 computer. I have a PS-2 to Serial adapter, but it must not have the correct pinouts. The mouse itself is supposed to be compatible with both setups. I just have to use two different mice, depending on whether I am in the Windows 95 machine, or the Windows 3.11, using a KVM switch.

Caluser2000
June 28th, 2014, 06:10 AM
Have you tried navigating to the control panel and changing the mouse settings from there?
What type of system are we dealing with here?

krebizfan
June 28th, 2014, 06:15 AM
The Windows 95 CD-ROM has a driver subdirectory which includes alternate Mouse Systems drivers. Try those. Not having the Jx Mouse I can't validate any specific driver.

Does the Serial Mouse work in Win95 if you don't install a mouse driver in DOS and force the install of generic Win95 Serial Mouse driver?

I can't find any remaining online version of the Windows 95 Driver Library or any Mouse Systems or Midwest Micro repository.

What is the computer that the mouse is installed to? Does it have a PS/2 port? Which version of CTMouse are you using?

billdeg
July 1st, 2014, 07:02 PM
You need to set the mouse driver in both places, one for the dos aps and one for windows 3.1.