PDA

View Full Version : Benchmarks, a short story

DimensionDude
September 2nd, 2006, 06:18 PM
I posted a message in another thread about digging up an old benchmark program to run on the Dimension 68000. Here's the rest of the story :)

I was looking through my 5.25" floppies and came across one labeled "Bench420." Being the curious sort, I promptly stuck it in the Dimension (running the IBM emulator and DOS 6.22) to see if it would work. Sure enough, it did. All the processor tests ran fine but it crashed when I tried a video test. No problem, just hit the "reset" button and we're back in CP/M 68K.

So, just for comparison, I wanted to run it on some other machines. However, none of them have 5.25" drives. When I tried to copy the files to a 3.5" disk, ran into some data errors. Back to the pile of floppies and I find the original ZIP file. "Cool" says I, and copy it to a 3.5" floppy and stick it in my XP machine to unzip. WinRAR says "Unknown method." Crud. Back to the pile of floppies and find PKZ204G.EXE. I extract PKUNZIP from that and try it on the benchmark zip. Success!

Bench420 seems to run fine on 486 and lesser processors, on Pentiums and higher I get a divide by zero error.

The data errors must have been on files that weren't used for the processor tests as those tests work ok from that disk.

Kent