PDA

View Full Version : Nec apc iii

tipc
May 23rd, 2014, 06:25 AM
The original APC's younger brother. Receives precious little dialog on the boards, and in fact is *much* harder to find then the original APC.

Vanilla looking somewhat, separate keyboard and monitor. But it was also a pseudo compatible (pseudo meaning "fake", therefore for all intensive purposes an incompatible).

I was lucky enough to find one years ago, with the color monitor, and the 8087 board, AND the SLE (Software Library Expander) card, which tada! makes it more or less fully s/w compatible with the IBM PC. It would even boot off the hard drive originally, but all good things must come to an end. Luckily I have a number of s/w images to restore that drive (HA in my dreams) or perhaps an IDE, IF I ever got around to developing such an interface. Luckily the APC III uses the 8086, and at least in theory it would be far easier to implement an IDE interface for that chip/bus.

The robust card cage is totally incompatible with IBM PC cards, and nothing is going to change that.

But nobody seems to care much about the APC III. Funny that.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=996

Chuck(G)
May 23rd, 2014, 08:54 AM
The APC III was from the personal computer branch of NEC and really was the PC9801; the original APC was from the business products branch.

The 9801 series was immensely popular in Japan--at one time, it held about 70 percent of the Japanese PC market. (Sound familiar?) However, unlike IBM, NEC was quite closed on implementation details. The expansion bus (C-bus) was, to my knowledge, never made public by NEC.

Still, a nicely designed machine whose internal details found a lot of implementation on Japanese CNC gear.