PDA

View Full Version : X Servers

Caluser2000
May 24th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I picked up an old Mastering Linux book by Arman Danesh at the local charity book sale yesterday. It's a huge book based around setting up and using RH 6 primarily, but has a good load of *nix background info as well. It's a fairly easy read on a wet winters day. In Chapter 6-"An Overview of X Windows" it mentions a couple of Commercial X Servers, namely Metro-X and Accelerated-X.

Can any members share any personal experiences with these at all?

gslick
May 24th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Was there ever that much of a market for commercial X Window System server software for Linux? By the time period of say Red Hat Linux version 6 in 1999 were there any major Linux distributions that didn't include a XFree86 based X Windows System server? What were the major selling points of commercial X Window System server software for Linux over what you could get "for free" with whatever distribution you were using?

Back in the late 1980's I worked on a PC DECwindows product at Digital. That was originally based on the X11R3 or X11R4 source code and munged quite extensively to fit into 286 and 386 DOS Extender environments. I imagine getting the X Window System server code running on a 32-bit Linux platform when that came along was much less of an ugly exercise.

Caluser2000
May 24th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Accelerated-X was apparently made by an outfit called X-Inside who offered:

3D Accerated-X
Multi-Head Accelerated-X(with multi-headed display cards it up to supported 8 screens a opposed to Metro-Xs 4 screens)
Laptop Accelerated-X

The book mentions Accelerated-X was suppose to provide around a 20% increase in speed over XFree86 at the time.

Metro-X apparently was an "added-value" X Server that shipped with commercial RH Linux bundles along with standard XFree86. Publisher copies like the RH 6 cds in the book wont have it.

There is mention that others existed but no specific names.

g4ugm
May 25th, 2014, 12:45 AM
Ah but if I remember properly in X-Windows terminology the "Server" is what displays things on the screen..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System

So there are still commercial X-Windows servers available for Microsoft Windows now, for example :-

http://connectivity.opentext.com/products/exceed-products.aspx

http://www.attachmate.com/Products/PC+X+Server/pcxserver.htm

although MinGW offers a free alternative....

eeguru
May 25th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Metro Link has long since gone out of business. Their main customer was DoD. They eventually became the maintainers of X11 for a short while and contributed a fair bit of code to it.

Caluser2000
May 25th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm not terribly interested in current Windows offerings, more looking at it from a historical perspective. This is a *nix section after all. To that end try to get hold of some old commercial X offerings to play with, if at all possible.

g4ugm
May 27th, 2014, 02:15 PM
But the only (well almost, you can run X on other servers such as IBM system Z) use of "X" on windows is as a terminal onto a UNIX server. So I use mingw on my MS windows work station at work to connect to our Solaris boxes. You are running UNIX programs but displaying the output on a Microsoft workstation. Given the nature of X-Windows you can end up with a mixed desktop with some Unix programs. Is that on or off topic?

Actually I get where you are coming from....

bear
May 27th, 2014, 04:30 PM
I was after a copy of AcceleratedX back in the day simply because it supported my graphics card (Compaq QVision 1280) and the XFree86 server didn't. I couldn't afford it on a student's budget and wound up finding a used Mach32 EISA to replace it sooner.

Megatron-uk
August 1st, 2014, 04:50 AM
I was after a copy of AcceleratedX back in the day simply because it supported my graphics card (Compaq QVision 1280) and the XFree86 server didn't. I couldn't afford it on a student's budget and wound up finding a used Mach32 EISA to replace it sooner.

Pretty sure I've got a copy of Accelerated/X sitting at home. I think I bought it when I got a S3 Virge accelerator and XFree86 didn't support it.

Was pretty fast and stable, as far as I can remember... though that's probably 15 years ago!