PDA

View Full Version : Dell Dimension XPS

tcpf429
May 26th, 2014, 09:23 PM
My Dell Dimension XPS is basically supposed to be my ultra-compatibility machine by running every Windows OS with no third-party software. I, as of tonight, have everything from 95 to Vista on it (can install DOS Windows in DOS 7.1 any time), but don't have copies of 7 or 8 (and don't want to spend $200 for them). I ran into a few issues, however.

The BIOS doesn't support 5-1/4" floppy drives. This is rather frustrating, because this computer has 3 5-1/4" drive slots and plenty of extra power plugs. Is there any way I can make a drive function with my existing 3-1/2" drive as well?

Also, drivers! My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce 5200 (128 MB AGP card), so no 95 drivers for that. Since I can't get NVIDIA drivers for old Windows systems, is there anyway I can get some generic driver with something more than a 640x480 4-bit resolution?

Aside from these things, the project is almost a wrap.

Unknown_K
May 27th, 2014, 01:21 AM
Which revision XPS are you referring to, didn't they make a few types over the years?

tcpf429
May 27th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Which revision XPS are you referring to, didn't they make a few types over the years?

Yes, they did! Sorry!
Mine is a Gen 2.

krebizfan
May 27th, 2014, 08:50 AM
For the GeForce 5200, try to find VESA drivers. Those should give you 1024x768 with 256 colors in Win 3.1, Win 95, and OS/2 v3 and v4. I think GeoWorks (and the related products) would also run at that resolution. GEM would be only at 800x600. This is from memory. I have an GeForce FX-5200 and ran it with lots of GUIs several years ago but it would take a lot of time to set up matching installs to confirm everything.

If you can find a floppy controller on expansion card (something like CatWeasel or some of the SCSI controllers), you could have 5.25" floppy drives working on that secondary controller.

tcpf429
June 5th, 2014, 10:11 PM
For the GeForce 5200, try to find VESA drivers. Those should give you 1024x768 with 256 colors in Win 3.1, Win 95, and OS/2 v3 and v4. I think GeoWorks (and the related products) would also run at that resolution. GEM would be only at 800x600. This is from memory. I have an GeForce FX-5200 and ran it with lots of GUIs several years ago but it would take a lot of time to set up matching installs to confirm everything.

If you can find a floppy controller on expansion card (something like CatWeasel or some of the SCSI controllers), you could have 5.25" floppy drives working on that secondary controller.

I had no luck with the VESA drivers, but lo and behold, NVIDIA actually provides legacy win9x drivers for most of their products! That really surprised me, but I got that working.

I only found one PCI card with a FDD controller on eBay, and it was pretty expensive. Nothing CatWeasel at all. I guess I don't have to have the 5-1/4" drive - I was just curious.

Anyways, I accidentally messed up my setup trying to make the "ACPI Board Extension for System BIOS" in Windows 98 not use 900 MB of my memory range so I could use my video card drivers, so now I'm starting all over again! I'm sure I'll get it done right sometime. I can provide some more detail on that issue when I get a few hours to install software.