PDA

View Full Version : Building up a P1 Socket 7 ATX

steevee
June 4th, 2014, 12:32 AM
Hello. First post! It has been a long time since building up an old school PC and I found this great site. I am starting a project. Got a board picked out, at least to try and start with. Intel 430TX because I want an early ATX, well documented one, but not too expensive. Before I plug the board into power, want to make sure I don't blow it! Is it safe to use a modern power supply with an old board such as this? Some power specs:
http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Intel/AN430TX_28295501.pdf#page=45

I might want to get a new power supply, nice looking black one perhaps with LED inside (gaming style) but not sure if this is possible or carries risks to overload the board. I could get a vintage one if that is necessary. Also - does anyone recommend a particular brand of new power supply?

I will post some photos once I get it farther along.

Steve

orion24
June 6th, 2014, 02:39 AM
Although modern PSUs are focused on the +12v line, white old school require strong +3.3v and +5v lines and some -5v as well, I don't think you will have a problem because the power they need is generally low

lowen
June 6th, 2014, 12:55 PM
-5V can be hard to find on newer power supplies, BTW. The -5V was deprecated in a recent ATX specification (I'll have to dig to see which version eliminated -5V entirely).

Chuck(G)
June 6th, 2014, 01:10 PM
I just happen to have one of those AN430TX boards. A modern power supply should be fine.

steevee
June 6th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Thanks, great to hear. If the PSUs usually list the voltages in the specs I will look out for that.

I just happen to have one of those AN430TX boards. A modern power supply should be fine.
Thanks man, the board seems like a classic going to play with it this weekend finally.