PDA

View Full Version : Need help creating a 5.25 DS/DD DOS Diskette for old IBM 5155

Shadow92
June 8th, 2014, 09:40 AM
My son who really enjoys vintage computing bought an IBM 5155 online. Only problem is that it didn't come with the DOS Diskettes. I have the DOS image file, but I have no way of writing it to a DS/DD 5.25 disk. We have tried purchasing an old 386 machine and inserting a vintage DS/DD 5.25 drive. But the BIOS on the 386 only supports a 5.25 HD drive. If anyone can write to a 5.25 DS/DD floppy, I would greatly appreciate the help.

modem7
June 8th, 2014, 09:22 PM
My son who really enjoys vintage computing bought an IBM 5155 online. Only problem is that it didn't come with the DOS Diskettes. I have the DOS image file, but I have no way of writing it to a DS/DD 5.25 disk. We have tried purchasing an old 386 machine and inserting a vintage DS/DD 5.25 drive. But the BIOS on the 386 only supports a 5.25 HD drive. If anyone can write to a 5.25 DS/DD floppy, I would greatly appreciate the help.
Welcome to these forums.

Whereabouts on the world are you? If you are in Australia, I will post to you a DS/DD 5.25 boot disk.

Note that the IBM 5155 can boot from and read a 720K diskette. Described [here (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5150_5160/cards/5150_5160_cards.htm#floppy_adapter)].

Some IBM 5155 information is [here (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/index.htm)].

Shadow92
June 9th, 2014, 02:52 AM
Thanks for your kind offer and information. I am in the United States -- will update my profile now.
I'm hoping someone in the US will respond.

RWallmow
June 9th, 2014, 04:57 AM
I agree with Modem7, using a 3.5" drive (as DSDD 720k) is probably easiest way to boot a PC/XT class machine. Even modern Windows 7/8 machines can make 720k disks with a USB floppy drive (though don't skimp on the USB drive, some are total junk).

That said, I see you are in the US, I could mail you some 5.25" DSDD DOS boot disks, I actually have a copy of "IBM DOS 3.3" kicking around and ready, no extra work on my part short of popping them in an envelope and mailing them, $5 should cover the 2 NOS DSDD disks, and media mail postage (priority mail would likely be extra, and at your option).

Stone
June 9th, 2014, 05:17 AM
That said, I see you are in the US, I could mail you some 5.25" DSDD DOS boot disks, I actually have a copy of "IBM DOS 3.3" kicking around and ready, no extra work on my part short of popping them in an envelope and mailing them, $5 should cover the 2 NOS DSDD disks, and media mail postage (priority mail would likely be extra, and at your option).First Class Mail would actually be about $.25 - $.50 cheaper and a few days faster than Media Mail. :-)

RWallmow
June 9th, 2014, 05:38 AM
First Class Mail would actually be about $.25 - $.50 cheaper and a few days faster than Media Mail. :-)

Good to know, I usually only ship priority, but figured media would be the cheapest way to ship a few disks, guess not :-)

Stone
June 9th, 2014, 06:05 AM
Good to know, I usually only ship priority, but figured media would be the cheapest way to ship a few disks, guess not :-)No not for a few disks. Plus FC is way faster than MM. But, when there's any weight involved MM is far cheaper. Once you get near the pound range or so MM is surely cheaper and around pound they're pretty close to being the same.

offensive_Jerk
June 9th, 2014, 06:18 AM
I feel like media mail used to be a lot cheaper. Maybe my memory deceives me.

Stone
June 9th, 2014, 06:30 AM
It *is* cheaper for anything over 4 ounces as stated above. :-)

PeterNC
June 9th, 2014, 06:41 AM
Library Mail is even cheaper. In case you have an "in" with the local library that works wonders as well.

SomeGuy
June 9th, 2014, 07:11 AM
We have tried purchasing an old 386 machine and inserting a vintage DS/DD 5.25 drive. But the BIOS on the 386 only supports a 5.25 HD drive.
That is very, very, very strange. What brand/model of machine is this? A 386 should have BIOS options for 360k (DS/DD) 5.25", 1.2mb (HD) 5.25", 720k 3.5", and 1.44mb 3.5". If the BIOS CMOS setup program is wonkey, you might try a third party CMOS setup program that is run from DOS. There are various collections of these on the Internet. Those will always let you select those 4 drive types, but it does depend on the BIOS internally supporting the one you select.

Another possibility, if the BIOS really doesn't support that, you can force the drive type with the DRIVPARM command in the config.sys. If the 386 has a standard FDC chip, you might be able to use the 2M-XBIOS driver. (Search for "2M-XBIOS_version-1.3.zip" )

Stone
June 9th, 2014, 08:27 AM
My son who really enjoys vintage computing bought an IBM 5155 online. Only problem is that it didn't come with the DOS Diskettes. I have the DOS image file, but I have no way of writing it to a DS/DD 5.25 disk. We have tried purchasing an old 386 machine and inserting a vintage DS/DD 5.25 drive. But the BIOS on the 386 only supports a 5.25 HD drive. If anyone can write to a 5.25 DS/DD floppy, I would greatly appreciate the help.Try this:

Take an already formated 360K disk and restore the image to it on the machine with the 5.25" HD drive.

Then see if it doesn't work OK in the 5155. Many HD drives can write data to DD disks that are 100% usable by DD drives. You've got nothing to lose and it's much simpler that any of your other choices.

Shadow92
June 9th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Thanks, everyone. In my quest to get this project to work, I did purchase (accidentally) an Imation USB 3.5" drive (the eBay ad made me think it was a USB 5.25" drive which I know is unheard of in USB format -- should have known better). Writing to the 3.5" drive with my more modern machines won't be a problem. How would you propose getting the 3.5" drive to boot the IBM 5155?

Shadow92
June 10th, 2014, 08:41 AM
I found an "old" HP Vectra (VL series 6 I think) at our local thrift store. And I realize I am mistaken -- it is MUCH newer than a 386. I believe it has a Pentium I or Pentium II chip. Only BIOS options are for the 3.5" drives or the 5.25" HD drive.

For a long-term solution, I think my best bet may be to find a cheap 5.25" HD drive on eBay and use it to write to DD disks as others suggest. In the short term, another forum member has kindly agreed to send me a DSDD DOS diskette.

Out of curiosity, I had searched for other BIOS versions online but didn't have much luck. I may reopen that option if my 5.25" HD drive option fails.

My son and I have learned a fair amount trying to get his old 5155 functional -- if nothing else, it has been a fun bonding experience.

Thanks to all for your input and assistance.