PDA

View Full Version : C:\ when changing directories

bettablue
June 13th, 2014, 03:01 PM
I know I've run into this previously, but I'm not the one who resolved it.
At boot-up, the PC works fine. It's just this annoying thing that occurs when changing directories. Regardless of the directory I choose by typing in CD NTNCMNDER, for instance, should show that I am now in the NTNCMNDER directory. Instead, the computer still reads C:\

Nothing I have tried seems to work. From what I can tell, all of the other commands work fine. It really gets confusing when attempting to copy and move files and other directories. As I recall though, it was a really simple fix. However, I don't have any idea how that is going to work with an XT-CF Lite rev 4, which is loading DOS, from the DOS directory. The funny thing is that there are no autoexec.bat, or config.sys files to get in the way. And, no... Command.com is not on the root of the CF card. All of the DOS files are located in the DOS directory. And, as far as I can tell, the only battery is the one dead battery on the AST Six Pack Plus.

I also want the computer to auto run Norton Commander at boot up too.

Is the XT-CF Lite doing something, or am I missing something else all together?

Does anyone know how to resolve these two items?

barythrin
June 13th, 2014, 03:03 PM
It's your prompt command probably not being $p$g.

You sure about the lack of a config.sys and autoexec.bat? Not just hidden? (dir/a to show hidden files, and attrib -s -r -h filename to undo it temporarily or permanently accordingly). The autoexec is where your prompt command is probably being set also, and of course if it does exist that's where you would append your c:\NTNCMNDER\NTNCMNDER.exe or whatever it is to auto run it at boot.

bettablue
June 13th, 2014, 03:20 PM
It's your prompt command probably not being $p$g.

You sure about the lack of a config.sys and autoexec.bat? Not just hidden? (dir/a to show hidden files, and attrib -s -r -h filename to undo it temporarily or permanently accordingly). The autoexec is where your prompt command is probably being set also, and of course if it does exist that's where you would append your c:\NTNCMNDER\NTNCMNDER.exe or whatever it is to auto run it at boot.

I'll bet you're right. Since there are no autoexec.bat, or config.sys files, that could very well be. I'm attempting to dig through the spider webs in my brain to create the aotoexec.bat, and will load that on the CF card, and try it.

Here is what I have so far. The REM lines will be removed and the file tightened up for a neater appearance, which will make it easier to read later. If I need to change something, please advise me... Thanks ever so much. I'm almost there with this PC. Just a couple of minor bugs like this and the PC be in great shape!

PATH=C:\;C:\DOS
Prompt $p %g

REM - Load Clock
C:\AST\ASTClock

CLS
Rem - Load Norton Commander
c:\ncmnder\nc.exe

Caluser2000
June 13th, 2014, 03:20 PM
I'd imagine not having those files is the reason for your problem.

krebizfan
June 13th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Typing just CD <Return> would show the current directory. That is useful if some prankster setup a prompt with hardcoded text. Prompt with no text following will clear the existing prompt setting.

SpidersWeb
June 13th, 2014, 03:43 PM
I'd go:

ECHO OFF
CLS
PATH=C:\DOS;C:\NCMNDER
PROMPT $P$G
ECHO Type 'nc' for Norton Commander
VER

Just some subtle differences, which may not suit what you want, but might give you an idea or two.
I do recommend ECHO OFF at the start though, looks messy without it.

vwestlife
June 13th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Prompt $p %g

Change the % to a $ and don't put a space between the two unless you want your prompt to look like:

C:\ >

I believe $P$G is the default prompt for DOS 6.0 and higher. Older versions only give you the drive letter, i.e. A> or C> unless you include the PROMPT $P$G command (or SET PROMPT=$P$G) in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Chuck(G)
June 13th, 2014, 04:21 PM
If problems persist, try entering:

echo %prompt%

which will tell you what your prompt string is.

vwestlife
June 13th, 2014, 04:33 PM
If problems persist, try entering:

echo %prompt%

which will tell you what your prompt string is.

Typing SET does the same thing; just look for "PROMPT=" in the list of environment variables.

bettablue
June 13th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Typing SET does the same thing; just look for "PROMPT=" in the list of environment variables.

I think I understand what you're telling me, but I am a bit confused. Where exactly is %prompt% or SET entered into the autoexec.bat file? I have already made some changes, to copy Chucks version, with a couple of minor changes. Mainly, I want to load Command.com, and Norton Commander at boot; which it does now. And, if I want to exit Norton, I can with the "Exit" command. (Note: There is more info just after my copy of autoexec.bat, below.)

ECHO OFF
CLS
PATH=C:\DOS
PROMPT $P$G
C:\NCMNDER\NC
VER

So, this version does exactly what I want, but there are some questions in regard to the universal BIOS loaded into the XT-CF Lite that I am not familiar with at all. I have the sneaky suspicion that I'll need to contact James Pearce, and hargle regarding what to expect from the XR-CF board. I also have multiple files and directories loaded onto the CF card, but those I want to leave alone and load only when I want them. The CF card will also be used to transfer files and directories to my other 5150 from files located on my primary computer.

Just one more question: What is the largest CF card that can be used on a 2nd revision IBM 5150? jimmy tried using a 100 Mb, and 1 Gb card, but both failed. The largest he was able to use was the 32Mb CF card he eventually loaded up with DOS and sent with the computer. Included with the configuration is DOS 3.1, with the original DOS manual, floppy discs, and another menu program.

I don't know if any of this helps you in any way with my particular issue, but I hope it does.

Thanks again everyone.

vwestlife
June 13th, 2014, 09:43 PM
I think I understand what you're telling me, but I am a bit confused. Where exactly is %prompt% or SET entered into the autoexec.bat file?

You don't. SET or ECHO %PROMPT% are just used to verify what the current prompt variable is set to.

Ole Juul
June 13th, 2014, 10:08 PM
You need to get yourself a manual. :) The prompt command has been there since version 2.0 and it has a number of variables. There is no reason to use $p$g just because others (who don't read the manual) are doing it. If you are using colour and loading ansi.sys (or similar) then you can use one like I do: "prompt $e[31;40;1m$p $$$e[32;40;1m"

Remember that you can use some small program to automatically change directories. Also, remember that "attrib" is a great alternative to "dir".

Ole Juul
June 14th, 2014, 01:30 AM
Actually you don't need go get a manual, I just checked, and Wikipedia has the list.

Here are the internal ones: COMMAND.COM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMMAND.COM)

Here is the whole list. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DOS_commands) You'll notice that "prompt" is there with a simple explanation. Of course you can also type "prompt /?" and it will say. Also, what you have available in external commands will be dependant on which utilities you have chosen to have. If you have a full version of DOS 6.x at your disposal, it has a help section (just type "help") which is as good, or better, than many books.

Wikipedia is fine, but you might still want to get a manual that is specific to the version that you are using. Either that, or something like the "Pocket PCRef" by Glover and Young, which is universal to all versions from 1 to 6.

Stone
June 14th, 2014, 04:08 AM
I have a 360K disk... 'The Best of DOS Help' from PCComputing Magazine. It's a menu-driven DOS manual/reference disk that makes it sooo easy to check all DOS (3.3 and earlier) commands and features. It's a must have. If anybody wants it... just lemme know.