PDA

View Full Version : Windows NT 4 Setup freezes

tcpf429
June 14th, 2014, 01:27 PM
If anyone has been tracking my sporadic 6-month posting, they might recall that my second thread on this forum was about setting up what was basically a Ethernet-to-modem box. Anyway, I'm using an old Supermicro server (P5STE to be precise) for this end, and was a about to set up Windows NT 4.0 Server Edition on it. I have a CD, and the computer boots to it just fine. However, when Windows Setup has finished loading all of the files, it displays the blue screen with the computer information (just prior to getting to the setup screen) and freezes there. I left it sit for five hours, but nothing happened. After doing some research, I thought it might be the hard drive controller driver, but it's standard IDE and there are no "drivers" for it anywhere. Then I thought it might be because my hard drive was past the 8GB limit (the BIOS would display all disks >8GB as 8GB in size), and I tried a 4 GB one. Still nothing. I tried removing a card that had some random option ROM's in it, but that didn't work as well.

Does anyone have an idea about what I should do/try next?

pearce_jj
June 14th, 2014, 01:30 PM
What is the RAM configuration? I had some problems with these boards, back in the day. IIRC only the first 4 SIMM sockets actually worked. Also, a bog-standard VGA card like a Trident or Cirrus Logic is probably worth a go.

tcpf429
June 14th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Actually, the same thing happened to me - I was unable to use the last 2 memory slots.
It has 4 32 MB ECC 72-pin 60ns SIMMs. (So, 128 MB)

Caluser2000
June 14th, 2014, 01:42 PM
If it were me I'd have a go at trying to install or at least boot, another 32 bit OS, such as a suitable Linux distro, to see if it hickups as well.

Posting a pic of the NT Stop errors might be useful.