PDA

View Full Version : PCjr 80 column mode in DOS?

offensive_Jerk
June 19th, 2014, 05:19 AM
This is probably a dumb question, but I've just read the FAQ's, etc on brutman.com and didn't find the answer. I would have posted there, but the forum threads don't seem to load right now.
http://67.185.176.54:8088/PCjr/

I've seen people talk about 80 column mode on PCJR, but how do you actually set it up? I hate the huge DOS output.

mikey99
June 19th, 2014, 05:33 AM
From a DOS prompt you enter:

mode co80

mbbrutman
June 19th, 2014, 06:18 AM
This is probably a dumb question, but I've just read the FAQ's, etc on brutman.com and didn't find the answer. I would have posted there, but the forum threads don't seem to load right now.
http://67.185.176.54:8088/PCjr/

I've seen people talk about 80 column mode on PCJR, but how do you actually set it up? I hate the huge DOS output.

Mode c080. JrIDE owners get it for free during bootup.

As for the PCjr web forums, this is a sad case of where a PCjr serving the site might be more reliable than my current web hosting company. I've notified them (again) that PHP is borked; that is at http://www.brutman.com/forums/ . The numbered IP address you bumped into above is a real PCjr serving the static content from http://www.brutman.com/ . I have redirects in place there to send the PCjr and mTCP traffic to my PCjr, which is serving a mirror of the content.

Mike

offensive_Jerk
June 19th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Thanks.

Mike, I finally got around to installing that PCjr drive you sold me a while back and it's working good. I tested a PCjr disk "touchdown football" and after that it wouldn't load DOS until I ran a cleaning disk, so that disk (among others) must be fouling the drives. Must be part of the reason I was having those issues with the grooves in the disks / drive not working. That's why I bought the drive off you in the first place. Maybe I should just toss the disks that don't work. Sucks that IBM had to copy protect all of the "grey box" software, as I can't just copy the disk to a working one.

Anyway, I plan on getting a jrIDE probably within a month. I'll check your website again for how to order.

Stone
June 19th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Sucks that IBM had to copy protect all of the "grey box" software, as I can't just copy the disk to a working one.Even if it weren't copy protected you wouldn't be able to make a working disk from a non-working one. :-)

SomeGuy
June 19th, 2014, 12:21 PM
This is why every one of these needs to be publicly archived in SCP, TC or similar format. So you can use the software you own without having to destroy it!

offensive_Jerk
June 19th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Even if it weren't copy protected you wouldn't be able to make a working disk from a non-working one. :-)

I know that, but some of the disks I received were working at first. I would have made a backup right away. Either the drive got gummed up from a bad disk, and reading the other disks ruined them, or the other disks started shedding too.

This is the reason I'm too scared to even insert my King's Quest disk.

SpidersWeb
June 19th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Don't toss the disks that don't work if they're originals. You can always replace the media donut in the future. It's nice having the original jackets.
I've done this as a test in the past, transferring media between disk jackets, and I did so without creating bad sectors on the first attempt.**

If you're careful, it's often possible without leaving any scars on the jacket at all.

** although if anyone does this, make sure you don't sell it on ebay as an original, that would be kind of balls.

offensive_Jerk
June 19th, 2014, 01:35 PM
I was actually wondering about this. I tried to open a different jacket just to see how it opened up.
It appeared to be thermally bonded on the folds. It didn't open up well, the jacket tore.

Maybe I just need more practice

SpidersWeb
June 19th, 2014, 01:52 PM
If it's bonded in spots you can clip it open by sliding a scalpel under the fold, but if it's bonded all the way across it might take a bit more time to undo the fold.
But even if you don't do it tomorrow, worth keeping them.

Probably best to change the cotton part as well if you do though, because if the media is bad, that probably has stuff growing on it too.

Great Hierophant
June 19th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Thanks.

Mike, I finally got around to installing that PCjr drive you sold me a while back and it's working good. I tested a PCjr disk "touchdown football" and after that it wouldn't load DOS until I ran a cleaning disk, so that disk (among others) must be fouling the drives. Must be part of the reason I was having those issues with the grooves in the disks / drive not working. That's why I bought the drive off you in the first place. Maybe I should just toss the disks that don't work. Sucks that IBM had to copy protect all of the "grey box" software, as I can't just copy the disk to a working one.

Anyway, I plan on getting a jrIDE probably within a month. I'll check your website again for how to order.

Many of the games IBM released were from third parties like Microsoft, Sierra or in the case of Touchdown Football, Imagic. They were software companies, unlike IBM which was a hardware company, so they couldn't afford to lose sales by Bob(by) making a copy for Jim(my). Almost everything was copy protected in those days.