PDA

View Full Version : Osborne Executive CP/M 3 Enhanced Setup program - solved

dwansmith
June 19th, 2014, 02:49 PM
I now have two Osborne Executives, both with ROM version 1.21. I believe that was the last official Osborne ROM version, and it may be referred to as the 'Enhanced BIOS'. The first one came without any disks, so I downloaded some .IMD files, setup a DOS box with an old 360K floppy drive and used Dave Dunfield's IMD program to burn the images to disks. They booted just fine. I also found a set of files on FOG disk 184 which are noted as being for the 'Enhanced BIOS'. It included new version of:
CPM3 .SYS F09C 18K ver. 1.2
SETUP .COM 67C1 11K ver. 1.2
COPY .COM 756F 8K
COPYSYS .COM A28F 5K
I had to use nswp to get copy over the old CPM3.SYS file, and I now had an updated boot disk.
It booted and noted it was BIOS version 1.1. (the CMP3.SYS file), not 1.2 per the FOG info.
But when I ran SETUP (1.2), it complained that the setup data on the drive was incompatible.

When I received the second Executive, it came with a disk from Osborne marked:
OSBORNE COMPUTER CORPORATION
ENHANCED BIOS
CP/M PLUS (TM) VERSION
COPYRIGHT (C) 1982
DIGITAL RESEARCH
OSBORNE EXECUTIVE VERSION
UPDATE
PART NO. #3K10500-01
.. which had the same programs on it that I had downloaded from FOG 184.
It booted, and I was able to use COPYSYS to update the system tracks on my other boot disk.
Setup 1.2 works fine now.

And here's the DUH part...
The next entry on the FOG 184 folder is noted as:
INITSET .COM F366 1K [Initialize SETUP 1 of 2]
Modifies Executive BIOS tracks for the new SETUP program.
That's how Osborne expected you to be able to update an older boot disk's SETUP information...

I have created an IMD file of the original disk above (I've never seen one around), so if anybody needs it, I'll be happy to provide it.

Don