PDA

View Full Version : like wasting your time on obsolete PCs like me? waste it more efficiently with this!!

Mike Chambers
September 10th, 2006, 12:41 AM
just letting you guys know about a great time-wasting game i used to spend hours at a time on back in the day. i found a copy of it earlier tonight and stuck it on my 386 DX/40. i've already wasted over an hour tonight with it. :D

awesome game called "Jetpack" made in 1993. i don't think it is 32-bit protected mode, since i recall playing it on a 286 a long time ago also. not sure how the performance would be on a machine that old, but on this 386 it's flawless.

in this game basically you are an adventurer with your trusty jetpack strapped to your back. you go through 100 levels collecting gems, and when you get them all a door will open and you go to the next level. it's really fun. you have to avoid robots and monsters and stuff. check it out.

here's a download link: http://rubbermallet.org/jetpack.zip

enjoy!

EDIT: moderator, sorry i accidentally posted this in the wrong subforum.

mbbrutman
September 10th, 2006, 06:25 AM
All is forgiven, especially since I deem it to be a very very worthwhile post. :-)

Erik - given the size of the IBM PC software universe we really need a subgroup of software for IBM type machines.

dreddnott
September 10th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I remember this game from when it was new.

I'm surprised I didn't have a copy of it lying around on any of my newer hard drives...must've lost it when I wiped the old 13GB or perhaps it's still on Grandma's 286...

Oh well - it'll make a fine addition to the DOSBOX collection on my desktop and laptop. It seems to run very efficiently - between 500 and 600 CPU cycles for DOSBox is all it takes to run at the right speed, anything more is simply too fast!

chuckcmagee
September 10th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Holy Moly Mike, I DON'T BELIEVE THAT WEBSITE!! I think "Ok let's see what that rubbermallet.org website has other games." BIG MISTAKE, still sick to my stomach. It must be some kind of sh!t fetish site. I just typed in rubbermallet.org as the URL. Too bad I had just finished dinner.

Going to delete that downloaded game toooo. Prolly has a trojan horse in it or something weird.

Well, maybe this is a case of hacked website! As we know, one tries to be nice and not put all kinds of restrictions on the web servers and what happens, the freaks attack your site. The game doesn't seem to have any virii in it.

Mike Chambers
September 10th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Holy Moly Mike, I DON'T BELIEVE THAT WEBSITE!! I think "Ok let's see what that rubbermallet.org website has other games." BIG MISTAKE, still sick to my stomach. It must be some kind of sh!t fetish site. I just typed in rubbermallet.org as the URL. Too bad I had just finished dinner.

Going to delete that downloaded game toooo. Prolly has a trojan horse in it or something weird.

Well, maybe this is a case of hacked website! As we know, one tries to be nice and not put all kinds of restrictions on the web servers and what happens, the freaks attack your site. The game doesn't seem to have any virii in it.

haha

yeah, there's a reason i didn't link to the main URL. it's one of those shock sites like goatse.cx was years ago. a friend of mine owns it, and he lets me put files on it whenever i want.

he actually said i can go ahead and take over the entire site, so i will delete that crap soon. :cool:

i'm thinking of turning it into a host for DOS networking software that i write.

and don't worry the game is just fine. no virii or anything.

dreddnott
September 10th, 2006, 10:53 PM
lol chuck, your reaction cracks me up.

I ran the game from inside DOSbox so even if there was a trojan I should be okay. Especially since 64-bit Windows sez the EXE is for "a machine type different from this machine".

edit: and to be honest, I've seen more shocking material on the internet. Index0.html file not found? Frowny face!

chuckcmagee
September 10th, 2006, 11:17 PM
lol chuck, your reaction cracks me up.

I ran the game from inside DOSbox so even if there was a trojan I should be okay. Especially since 64-bit Windows sez the EXE is for "a machine type different from this machine".

edit: and to be honest, I've seen more shocking material on the internet. Index0.html file not found? Frowny face!

Well, soooo have I but I was expecting gross stuff at the time. I was expecting some nice OLD Games site not poop galore. That was the only reason it got me.

carlsson
September 11th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Ha! "Poop Galore", that's literally a cool name for a Crap Game.

mbbrutman
September 11th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Just as a service to the rest of us, if a link you provide might lead to a suprise it's polite to warn us ahead of time, or just mirror the content somewhere else.

I don't think that anybody who would have been checking that out on a corportate machine would be too pleased if they had been subjected to that. People get fired for less.

Chris2005
September 11th, 2006, 12:18 PM
perfectly shameful crap

Mike Chambers
September 11th, 2006, 12:19 PM
i just took those pictures off the site. i just installed a temporary placeholder index.html for now... i'll set up that site soon to host DOS software i write.