PDA

View Full Version : Prime MAGSAV format?

Chuck(G)
June 26th, 2014, 10:26 PM
Any old PRIME/PRIMOS hands here?

Does anyone know the format of a MAGSAV file? I can figure out some of the fields, but a complete description would be most helpful.

TIA!

geneb
June 27th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Chuck, is that a Pick derivative?

g.

Al Kossow
June 27th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Any old PRIME/PRIMOS hands here?

Does anyone know the format of a MAGSAV file? I can figure out some of the fields, but a complete description would be most helpful.

TIA!

try comp.sys.prime or cctlk

there are still Pr1mates around there

Chuck(G)
June 27th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks Al, that was my next step. Worst case, the customer needs only the ASCII files, so pulling those out would be straightforward, (Prime ASCII has high-order bit set in each character).

Edit:

Looks like there's some information here (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.sys.prime/MAGSAV/comp.sys.prime/D58rHyUxZa0/a7DlZWCmtQ4J) that's relevant.

Prime tapes are a lot of fun, as they don't appear (at least not the stack I have) to use ANSI tape labels--so you're left guessing.

Nothing like non-standardization! :rolleyes:

RickNel
June 27th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Nothing like non-standardization! :rolleyes:
In my part of the world we spell that non-standardisation;)

Chuck(G)
June 28th, 2014, 12:25 AM
Oh, it gets more interesting... I've just finished a tape (written on an unknown mainframe) that contains programs written for a 60-bit Cyber (probably Cyber 170) machine talking to an IBM S/370 via RJE. It's not clear what was done where--or even where the tape was written, as it has no volume or other header information. Just files with varying block sizes (800-10001 bytes, aside from the remnant end-of-file blocks). No clue as to blocking factors (which also vary all over the place). I suspect that the tape was probably written on a mini, but can't be sure.

Chuck(G)
August 12th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Just an FYI.

Figured out the MAGSAV format and can now restore complete directory trees with file dates and times from a SIMH .TAP image.